By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kirby Star Allies Bombs With Critics

DonFerrari said:
Seems like what I said in another thread of 70 being considered bad score and 80 average isn't something I was making up...

But that's literally only one person- the OP.

Read some of the replies.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

WII Kirby's Epic Yarn
Good-Feel/Nintendo, 2010
88.48%
WII Kirby's Return to Dream Land
HAL Labs/Nintendo, 2011
80.50%

This is unfair, Return to Dreamland is way better than Epic Yarn.

The thing is even though other games in the series have scored higher, people seem to forget, that the sites that aggregate reviews just give an insight on the averaged opinion of a group of "experts on the matter" or "the audience".

And even then while the sites may assign a "consensus", the topic is at times far from being uniform in terms judging a product. For example reading a few reviews with similar scores, you have plentiful opinions about the same game, some thought it was outright bad, some that it was lackluster, some that it was fun but a bit on the short side, others that it was lacking "something", and others that the mechanics broke it.

Having played most kirby games myself except this one, i can tell you that the kirby games have mostly always been considered easy or short at some time. For example i remember this one guy in the SNES to N64 days rambling about how kirby could trivialize a lot of levels in his game by just floating from start to finish.

Or the guys a few years ago banging their heads against a wall because you can't die in Epic Yarn.

Bristow9091 said:
DonFerrari said:

Very few games get 50 or below so it's quite hard to consider it average. Average is the type of game that you would like to play unless you have several must have still waiting on your backlog, not a game that you don't want to even try.

Yeah and it's all down to reviewers lol, it's weird how differently games are scored on Metacritic as opposed to films... seems like I see more films hovering around the 50 region that are considered average, whereas with games anything below 75 for some people is considered utter trash, there are even those who won't even touch a game if it scores below 80, which I find a little absurd, they could be missing out on some really great games, you don't always have to agree with reviewers, lol. The way games are reviewed is something I really disagree with, and it's also why I very rarely look to reviews to determine whether I want to buy a game or not :P 

I agree with you and would be totally ok with the score using the full scale more often... but for games they score like if it at least can be played it already get over 50 on metacritic....

The gaming score seems like the dance of famous on Brazil TV or the Carnival where the minimal acceptable score is 95 (only total catastrophic get as low as 80) and even 99 isn't very much liked.

flashfire926 said:
DonFerrari said:
Seems like what I said in another thread of 70 being considered bad score and 80 average isn't something I was making up...

I have read, you should as well, and won't be a single person.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Shiken said:

You must be new to this gaming thing.  The problem is a matter of perspective.  For example, there is a website that litterally scores based on 5 being average and 6 being abover ave, and so on up to 10.  The problem here is their score is added to metacritic, where a 7 is a ave/good game and so on, and drags thay score down.  Guess what, your way of thinking just kept you from enjoying a game you may have liked

because you are closed minded from lack of knowledge regarding how flawed the media is.

Then look at some of the overrated games out there.  Final Fantasy 13 had graphics and...yeah that it.  It had crappy plot, boring characters, and was fsr too linear for its own good.  Not to mention that horride battle system where you just mash autofight for 90% of all encounters.  BUT it got an 83 on metacritic so it MUST be at least decent right?  And here is a game you would buy and then be let down due to you lack of knowledge about how gaming media works.

Heck what youpropsose does not even make any sense.  If an 8 is average  why bother having 10 numbers?  A five star system would be more accurate on that case.  In the old days, 7 was (and still is) a good score.  6 is fair and might be worth playing to some  though a pass for most.  5 is horrible and anything below that is just a degree of how broken the game is.

So in the end, you are only limiting yourself by having such a closed minded view on review scores.  Just because you think a number means something does not mean the reviewer feels the same way, and that is the problem.  In a review based on what the reviewer believes your opinion on what the score means is absolutely worthless.  Think about that for a minute and let that sink in.

ff 13 is a good and enjoyable game.

Blasphemy!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Bristow9091 said:

Yeah and it's all down to reviewers lol, it's weird how differently games are scored on Metacritic as opposed to films... seems like I see more films hovering around the 50 region that are considered average, whereas with games anything below 75 for some people is considered utter trash, there are even those who won't even touch a game if it scores below 80, which I find a little absurd, they could be missing out on some really great games, you don't always have to agree with reviewers, lol. The way games are reviewed is something I really disagree with, and it's also why I very rarely look to reviews to determine whether I want to buy a game or not :P 

I agree with you and would be totally ok with the score using the full scale more often... but for games they score like if it at least can be played it already get over 50 on metacritic....

The gaming score seems like the dance of famous on Brazil TV or the Carnival where the minimal acceptable score is 95 (only total catastrophic get as low as 80) and even 99 isn't very much liked.

flashfire926 said:

So in your eyes the very small minority is the consensus rather than the very big majority that is saying otherwise......okayyyy 

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

flashfire926 said:
DonFerrari said:

So in your eyes the very small minority is the consensus rather than the very big majority that is saying otherwise......okayyyy 

Nope, in my eyes you claim only OP said it, but more said, where you lying then? And again as originally said on the other thread what WAS the consensus not what currently is.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
flashfire926 said:

Nope, in my eyes you claim only OP said it, but more said, where you lying then? And again as originally said on the other thread what WAS the consensus not what currently is.

See? You had to backtrack on your previous statements now. That means you you admit Sea of thieves metascore doesn't mean a "bad" game.

Case closed.

Bet with Intrinsic:

flashfire926 said:
DonFerrari said:

See? You had to backtrack on your previous statements now. That means you you admit Sea of thieves metascore doesn't mean a "bad" game.

Case closed.

You must have a very strange reading issue...

Not backtrack on anything, go to SoT thread and see that I was saying during the discussion that VGC community have (indication of past) considered 80 as average at most and below to be bad score.

And I haven't ever in any thread said the metacritic score define if the game is bad or good, what I said there and in other places is that the SCORE is considered bad.

You may close your eyes and case all you want, won't change reality.

Keybladewielder said:
Jumpin said:

WII Kirby's Epic Yarn
Good-Feel/Nintendo, 2010
88.48%
WII Kirby's Return to Dream Land
HAL Labs/Nintendo, 2011
80.50%

This is unfair, Return to Dreamland is way better than Epic Yarn.

Yeah, it is kind of funny how Epic Yarn scored so high, yet doesn't seem well liked among fans for being fairly easy.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread