By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kirby Star Allies Bombs With Critics

Man what is it with people taking MetaCritic/GameRankings as the word of God lately?



Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:

I think it should have scored lower than that and not because it's a bad game, but because games that are that easy to beat should be docked for it. If you're going to release something that is aimed at people above grade school, make sure that the BASE GAME is challenging enough for adults. I think that is the one reason why I have never really gotten into Kirby... it's easier to beat than a housewife from the nineteenth century.

That's the point of the game, very beatable n enjoyable by anyone of any skill level, from 3 year olds to soccer moms to grandpas. If you want a challenging platformer there are plenty of games with that intent out there, but Kirby is ment to be very easy. Star Allies score should only be docked for difficulty if they made it challenging while still claiming it's a standard Kirby game. Anything else and you're just knocking the game for it's genre.



Hasn't Kirby always been pretty inconsistent in quality though???
I can't imagine Nintendo is bothered by this...
Despite Sakurai always packing Smash Bros. with Kirby content, it hasn't exactly been one of Nintendo's big IP's...
And Europe never really supported the series...
You would be hardpressed to convince me Nintendo's paying close attention to reviews of this game...



Have a nice day...

Lonely_Dolphin said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

I think it should have scored lower than that and not because it's a bad game, but because games that are that easy to beat should be docked for it. If you're going to release something that is aimed at people above grade school, make sure that the BASE GAME is challenging enough for adults. I think that is the one reason why I have never really gotten into Kirby... it's easier to beat than a housewife from the nineteenth century.

That's the point of the game, very beatable n enjoyable by anyone of any skill level, from 3 year olds to soccer moms to grandpas. If you want a challenging platformer there are plenty of games with that intent out there, but Kirby is ment to be very easy. Star Allies score should only be docked for difficulty if they made it challenging while still claiming it's a standard Kirby game. Anything else and you're just knocking the game for it's genre.

I don't know about that...

Games shouldn't be immune from criticism because they're upfront about their flaws. 



..."bombed"? It hardly bombed, it just didn't rate too highly.

If you like Kirby this game won't disappoint.



Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

That's the point of the game, very beatable n enjoyable by anyone of any skill level, from 3 year olds to soccer moms to grandpas. If you want a challenging platformer there are plenty of games with that intent out there, but Kirby is ment to be very easy. Star Allies score should only be docked for difficulty if they made it challenging while still claiming it's a standard Kirby game. Anything else and you're just knocking the game for it's genre.

I don't know about that...

Games shouldn't be immune from criticism because they're upfront about their flaws. 

But again, a game's difficulty isn't a flaw outside of the aforementioned scenario, it's part of the genre.



Lonely_Dolphin said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I don't know about that...

Games shouldn't be immune from criticism because they're upfront about their flaws. 

But again, a game's difficulty isn't a flaw outside of the aforementioned scenario, it's part of the genre.

No it's not... Kirby is a platformer, so was Ghouls n Ghosts. The genre doesnt dictate difficulty. It's also extremely easy to fix - Add difficulty levels. Because there is a simple solution to this, it is absolutely OK to criticize Nintendo for not integrating it.



Lonely_Dolphin said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I don't know about that...

Games shouldn't be immune from criticism because they're upfront about their flaws. 

But again, a game's difficulty isn't a flaw outside of the aforementioned scenario, it's part of the genre.

But for some reviewers/consumers the flaw might be built into the genre. I get where you're coming from, but I'm reluctant to absolve a game just because it accomplished what it set out to do. 



contestgamer said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

But again, a game's difficulty isn't a flaw outside of the aforementioned scenario, it's part of the genre.

No it's not... Kirby is a platformer, so was Ghouls n Ghosts. The genre doesnt dictate difficulty. It's also extremely easy to fix - Add difficulty levels. Because there is a simple solution to this, it is absolutely OK to criticize Nintendo for not integrating it.

Then every Kirby game of the past should’ve been docked due to this notion of the game being easy. It’s been the nature of the mainline games for over 20 years. Why the disparity between something like Kirby’s Epic Yarn and Star Allies? And Epic Yarn got almost a 90% despite not being able to die in the game. You can’t go off on scores alone. It’s a factor in its success but it should not be the end all, be all, personally. Im sure there are many hidden gems in all consoles that gotten scores below 75, which is not a bad score that some claim it to be.



Ultrashroomz said:
Man what is it with people taking MetaCritic/GameRankings as the word of God lately?

the scenario is this

 

When metacritic/rankings aligns with their opinion of something they hate/like = its relevant and is gospel 

 

when the opposite is true, then it means ''its useless and no one cares about it''

 

the endless cycle. its stupid either way



NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick