By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kirby Star Allies Bombs With Critics

Cloudman said:
Jumpin said:

Why is it high standards to expect consistent quality from the franchise? Do you think fans should settle for a game that is substantially worse than expected because it’s not terrible?

So, for example, Pokemon games are comparable to Kirby games in that they generally score around the same as Kirby games. Do you think fans have standards too high of the first outing of a mainline Pokemon game on Switch is merely a 73%?

I mean high standards in the sense that a general score of 73 is considered 'bombing' for a game. in the 70-80 range, a game would still be considered 'good'. Even games in the 60 range can still be enjoyable. It's not a matter of settling for something that is 'lesser' than previous games, but enjoying, or not enjoying said game, and look forward to the next game.

I have already explained exactly what is wrong with the reasoning in your argument multiple times, including with the post you are responding to. You are trying to assess "this is what a good game is" completely out of context of quality expectation of the game in question.

Let me try to put it to you another way: for book reviews, books in the 65% to 75% range are generally considered good.

Fans of Song of Ice and Fire have waited 6 years for the next book in the series. The books generally score about 85%-88% by reviewers and are expected to offer a certain amount of length. If GRR Martin, in all that time, and with the television show present, only released a book of perhaps 480 pages and had a 73% rating with reviewers; should readers be happy and satisfied that they got a good book? Of course not, this is the first book in the Song of Ice and Fire series in 6 years, the expectation is for something more substantial and of higher quality.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Cloudman said:

I mean high standards in the sense that a general score of 73 is considered 'bombing' for a game. in the 70-80 range, a game would still be considered 'good'. Even games in the 60 range can still be enjoyable. It's not a matter of settling for something that is 'lesser' than previous games, but enjoying, or not enjoying said game, and look forward to the next game.

I have already explained exactly what is wrong with the reasoning in your argument multiple times, including with the post you are responding to. You are trying to assess "this is what a good game is" completely out of context of quality expectation of the game in question.

Let me try to put it to you another way: for book reviews, books in the 65% to 75% range are generally considered good.

Fans of Song of Ice and Fire have waited 6 years for the next book in the series. The books generally score about 85%-88% by reviewers and are expected to offer a certain amount of length. If GRR Martin, in all that time, and with the television show present, only released a book of perhaps 480 pages and had a 73% rating with reviewers; should readers be happy and satisfied that they got a good book? Of course not, this is the first book in the Song of Ice and Fire series in 6 years, the expectation is for something more substantial and of higher quality.

But as I pointed out earlier and you conveniently ignored, gamers are clearly happy and satisfied with Star Allies as the sales show, proving their expectations are not what you claim them to be. It's a bit silly to try and speak for the fanbase while ignoring that fact. The "what if" examples you keep making don't hold any weight against cold hard numbers of the actual game in question here. I'd say most people's expectations are simply good games, which Star Allies is whether in a vacuum or compared to it's predecessors.

wouldn't say that it's a bad game, i bought games with lower scores that i really enjoyed

Shiken said:
73 is not bombing. 70+ is a GOOD game. 80+ is a GREAT game, and 90+ is a MUST PLAY game.

People have such a twisted and sad view on what these scores mean. Kirby did fine with critics, some fans just do not understand the concept of a 10 point score system (which is why it needs to be done away with because there are even critics that do not get it or abuse it).

It's 2018. for the past decade the standard has been:

< 80  Ass-tier

80-89 Good games

90-93 Great games

94-95 Masterpieces

>95 Over-Hyped Trash

4 ≈ One

Pissed that there was over emphasis on multiplayer...and complaints it was too easy(yeah I know you could play it with ai but I hate that sort of thing).
If it had ve been more like the recent 3ds games Id’ve been first in line. I had been anticipating this games release for quite a while but decided the day it was lauched to save my cash and focus on Yoshi’s Island on my mini snes instead and I don’t regret the decision at all...still 70% or over on metacritic is still a good score...

Around the Network

Seems like what I said in another thread of 70 being considered bad score and 80 average isn't something I was making up...

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Shiken said:
contestgamer said:
People saying 70 is "good" lol - anything below 75 is an outright bomb, 75-80 is poor and 80-85 is average. Kirby bombed. Lets be real. I was excited for this game because I was a big fan of kirby superstar growing up, but as soon as I saw the scores come in I stopped caring about this game.

You must be new to this gaming thing.  The problem is a matter of perspective.  For example, there is a website that litterally scores based on 5 being average and 6 being abover ave, and so on up to 10.  The problem here is their score is added to metacritic, where a 7 is a ave/good game and so on, and drags thay score down.  Guess what, your way of thinking just kept you from enjoying a game you may have liked

because you are closed minded from lack of knowledge regarding how flawed the media is.

Then look at some of the overrated games out there.  Final Fantasy 13 had graphics and...yeah that it.  It had crappy plot, boring characters, and was fsr too linear for its own good.  Not to mention that horride battle system where you just mash autofight for 90% of all encounters.  BUT it got an 83 on metacritic so it MUST be at least decent right?  And here is a game you would buy and then be let down due to you lack of knowledge about how gaming media works.

Heck what youpropsose does not even make any sense.  If an 8 is average  why bother having 10 numbers?  A five star system would be more accurate on that case.  In the old days, 7 was (and still is) a good score.  6 is fair and might be worth playing to some  though a pass for most.  5 is horrible and anything below that is just a degree of how broken the game is.

So in the end, you are only limiting yourself by having such a closed minded view on review scores.  Just because you think a number means something does not mean the reviewer feels the same way, and that is the problem.  In a review based on what the reviewer believes your opinion on what the score means is absolutely worthless.  Think about that for a minute and let that sink in.

ff 13 is a good and enjoyable game.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Bristow9091 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

I think it should have scored lower than that and not because it's a bad game, but because games that are that easy to beat should be docked for it. If you're going to release something that is aimed at people above grade school, make sure that the BASE GAME is challenging enough for adults. I think that is the one reason why I have never really gotten into Kirby... it's easier to beat than a housewife from the nineteenth century.

The games may be on the easy side, but your analogy is a little messed up, lol. I don't mind games being "too easy" as long as their fun, and I prefer easy games to hard games, since they can become rather frustrating, and I don't think it's fair to dock points based on difficulty, especially of a game such as Kirby which is aimed at a younger audience.

Honestly, I don't even consider 73 a bad score, I think it's a good score for games, but then again I count 50/100 as being "average", which I've been told is wrong, lol :P

Very few games get 50 or below so it's quite hard to consider it average. Average is the type of game that you would like to play unless you have several must have still waiting on your backlog, not a game that you don't want to even try.

Dgc1808 said:
Shiken said:
73 is not bombing. 70+ is a GOOD game. 80+ is a GREAT game, and 90+ is a MUST PLAY game.

People have such a twisted and sad view on what these scores mean. Kirby did fine with critics, some fans just do not understand the concept of a 10 point score system (which is why it needs to be done away with because there are even critics that do not get it or abuse it).

It's 2018. for the past decade the standard has been:

< 80  Ass-tier

80-89 Good games

90-93 Great games

94-95 Masterpieces

>95 Over-Hyped Trash

That is how I recall VGC during the haydays of console war on 7th gen.

Jumpin said:
Cloudman said:

In this situation, I'm not sure really. I'd have to read the book for myself and see if it's really like critics claim. The other books in the series have been good more-or-less, so I don't have much reason to doubt the series now. Although, the last entry in the Kirby series was Robobot, which released 2 years ago, so it hasn't really be that long.

Either way, I can see where you're coming from with expecting a consistent level of quality, but it's not one I can follow, at least in the sense that if doesn't match the previous entry to a certain extend, it is considered terrible. Although I wouldn't really be sure what would make it be considered 'satisfactory'. That's why I find it kind of strange. If I were to set my bar to what I consider the best Kirby game in the series, every game after Super Star I would consider a failure, since none of them have matched the standards placed by that one, and that doesn't make much sense to me. Most of the Kirby games have been good to great overall.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread