By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Should the Nintendo Switch get a price cut?

Yahoo! (Yes it should) 28 31.11%

D'oh, I missed! (It should not) 62 68.89%

Total:90

It doesn't need one yet. Instead the focus should be to increase value at the $299 price point by bundling in a game.

Starting in November, they should introduce a temporary price point of a $249 bundle. The price point, the launch of Pokemon and Smash should keep the Switch hot through the end of the year.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network

After a couple of weeks a price cut is needed? Cut into profits when it has barely been in the market for a year?

Not a chance.

JWeinCom said:
CaptainExplosion said:

How would it cut into their profit margin? How much does Nintendo even make for every Switch console sold?

By selling something for less money you make less money off of it.  

And money can be exchanged for goods and services.

IMO at this point best we can hope is Switch bundle with one game (for instance MK8D Switch bundle or Splatoon 2 Switch bundle) for $299 for Black Friday deals.

Mar1217 said:
maxleresistant said:
It should have been cheaper at launch, but it won't get a price cut. For two reasons:

1-it sells well, so why sell it cheaper if you can make more money.
2-for Nintendo a price cut is admitting that they fail at something and cutting the price will fix the problem, Nintendo really doesn't like to admit that there is a problem (but in that case, I don't think there is that much of a problem)

The best case scenario here is that when Sony cuts the price of the PS4/Pro, Nintendo reacts and says "we want to stay competitive".

So, they never admited the 3DS poor launch price and line up ? 

Man, I guess we ended up in a parralel dimension then, I was sure they cut the price of the 3DS few months later and Iwata apologized for that.

In WiiU's case. They would have just lost money if they did so. Better do some profits instead of loosing by selling more.

Can you read?

I said that they "really don't like to admit that there is a problem", not that they "never admit it".

They do admit it, but most of the time way too late, they almost always refuse to correct-course their bad decisions. The 3DS is one the only times they reacted quickly, but the launch was so awful that they didn't have a choice. But for every other bad decisions, it always takes them years to admit their mistakes, and sometimes never.

They're stubborn and never listen to the feedback of the public and critics, people started complaining about the Zelda formula in 2006 with Twilight Princess, they fixed it 11 years later.

People told them the WiiU was a bad name, they didn't listen. People told them the WiiU was too expensive, they didn't listen. People asked for a competitive online shooter from Nintendo since the early 2000, it took them 13 years to finally give people what they asked for, and it's a huge success.

So basically, Nintendo's strategy to be different and to focus  on handheld gaming is working well. But nobody can deny that they are the most stubborn company out thereh

Around the Network

It's holding up against Wii, PS4 and 3DS in the comparable time-frame, so Switch is fine.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

LMAO This made my day. Really?

Yes. Switch should be free.

chakkra said:

I'm almost a 100% sure that they are not even considering it.  

I'm amazed at how fast people have forgotten that they rode the Wii U for 4 years with just one $50 price cut.

The wii u was difficult because they had to manage a low inventory of components to last until the Switch came out. Sony bought the factory that made an important chip and the cost of redesigning the wii u to use a difficult chip would be excessive. Many wii u's were often unsold stock repackaged later on. Nintendo had huge expectations for the wii u and manufactured a huge number at the beginning of its life. If the wii u had been discounted and sold out they literally would have nothing to sell until the Switch came out for probably 6 months to a year.

The Switch situation I think is more likely to be a revised model at some point that even if identical external has a major internal revision. Improved fabrication process, cooler running, better battery life. The current Tegra chip used is a off the shelf model and quite old now. A revised improved chipset may be forced upon them anyway as 20nm may not actually be able to be manufactured. At which point the older model gets discounted.

I'm still sitting on the fence with regard the Switch. I only really want to play Mario Odyssey and its just too expensive for one game and portability isn't as important to me. To be honest the portable consoles I use need to be a bit smaller. I still have many games to complete on my wii u. So I'm one of those people who will probably buy a Switch mid generation or end of generation when its £150 or less. The Yuzu emulator is also making great progress with Mario Odyssey along with Zelda BOTW being the games focused on running it seems....

It's now behind PS4, which is very well established brand, but if you compare the same periods of time, it isn't. IMO, the very first price cut will happen with the release of first major hardware revision.

no need till 2019.

games AAA is what they need to get number one. sales are doing fine!

Switch!!!