By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Sea of Thieves is Microsoft's fastest selling first party new IP of this generation.

twitch streamers and youtubers ruin gaming. you know most people are casual when a masterpiece like sunset overdrive sells less than this crap

Around the Network

Good numbers it seems if it really isn’t including games pass users. Everyone seems to hate this game but I’ve been having a lot of fun with it.

JRPGfan said:

Apparently the last record holder for MS was Quantum Break.

^ this is important.

VGCz estimates Quantum Break sold over 267k units at retail (over 300k with digital).
So we know that atleast 300k people "bought" Sea of theives for 60$ (full price).

Why are there quotation marks in between bought?

Despite whatever meta says, the game is quite fun and I can't wait to see where the game goes into the future.

Even with a very generous definition of first-party, this basically means it beat like 4-5 other AAA titles. That is still an accomplishment worth celebrating. But, it is certainly not earth shattering.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
JRPGfan said:

Apparently the last record holder for MS was Quantum Break.

^ this is important.

VGCz estimates Quantum Break sold over 267k units at retail (over 300k with digital).
So we know that atleast 300k people "bought" Sea of theives for 60$ (full price).

Why are there quotation marks in between bought?

Im not sure... but yeah over 300k+ have bought this at full price.

Still thats alot of money, rare & MS are probably pretty happy with it.
Assumeing like ~1.4m unique gamepass buys (300k are shareing the game, ect).

1.4m x 9.99$ + 300k+ x 60$ =  lots of money.

NobleTeam360 said:
Despite whatever meta says, the game is quite fun and I can't wait to see where the game goes into the future.

And as a bonus it's generating a lot of salt from certain users here.

shikamaru317 said:
Bandorr said:

I guess what I'm losing is the accurate description.

If we are talking "best selling on windows 10" then that limits it by tons more than just "fastest spelling Microsoft IP".

So what is the actual results? Why say first party when it is open to all Microsoft published Titles. And why include windows 10 if it is open to anything not on windows 10, like say SSO.

I'm more just lost in what the actual "achievement" was. And what games counted etc. Did Sea of thieves sell better than cuphead? Better than cuphead only on windows 10? Do they not count Cuphead? etc.

There are 2 separate achievements.The first achievement is that it the best-selling game on Windows 10 Store, means it outsold Forza Horizon 3, Gears 4, Forza Motorsport 7, Gears Ultimate Edition, Quantum Break, etc. lifetime sales on Win 10 Store in just 1 week.  

The 2nd achievement is that it the fastest selling 1st party title this generation. Since Greenburg confirmed that MS considers any game published by MS Studios to be 1st party, that means it sold more in the first week than Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Ori and the Blind Forest, and ReCore. Cuphead was self published by StudioMDHR through the ID@Xbox program, so it wouldn't be included, though that doesn't necessarily mean that Sea of Thieves first week Xbox + Win 10 sales didn't outsell Cuphead's first week Xbox + Win 10 sales. PUBG is uncertain at this point, it is technically a new IP and published by MS Studios on Xbox, but it's hard to believe that SoT first week Xbox + Win 10 sales beat PUBG first week sales on Xbox. 

so it sold more than PUGB on xbox? you said it yourself, the wording isnt clear, and guess what, this is greenberg and thats intentional, its a spin and after years and years of MS spinning like this its sad that people still cant catch it. they "consider" isnt the same as technically the announcement is about first party IP. this is like how Sony treated Destiny as a first party IP. 

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2016/04/14/39364/. 

look at the wording there in the Quantum Break post, it says "MS published IP". here they are using First Party IP for a reason. 

A great game. Well deserved sales for Rare and MS.
Those who "bought" the game, love it.

This includes Recore, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, etc (although it isn't much of a feat to beat these games, lol).

Congrats to Rare for having a success in their hands. However, I still don't condone shipping an unfinished game.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.