By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Sea of Thieves is Microsoft's fastest selling first party new IP of this generation.

lol what is this nonsense that VGC has historically considered a game rated below an 80 to be average and 70 bad? I’ve been here since sometime last gen and that wasn’t the case. Sure, for posters engaging in console wars maybe. The general user base here though, no way. We are better than that.

Not to mention it’s irrelevant to metacritic and the standards for the reviewers who are actually on there. A 69 is not a bad game, lol. Man I miss EGM, they used that full ten point scale and you could trust that even in a game they rated a 5.5 you could find some good stuff.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

If I were to give a 7 to a game it would be on the realm of the forgetful, won't touch this anymore. If you are asking about metacritic, for the history of VGC 80 have been considered average and 70 bad, and you won't ever see me in any thread saying I agree or use metacritic for anything (in fact most users on this site don't agree with metacritic and when looking at reviews prefer to look at a reviewer that have similar taste to them). Still the point stand (not that SoT is bad because of the metacritic) but that a 69 on metacritic have been considered a bad score (not a bad game, you can differentiate right) for a long time on VGC.

Reason I am asking is because if many in here want to jump on SoTs reviews based off Critics than all games should be considered equal. I remember you defending Gran Turismo Sport that suffered the same fate as SoTs with its lack of content at launch where the game sits on a 75 Metacritic. Someone like yourself who is a GT fan, do you consider GTS a bad game because its a 7 game by majority of critics?

Reviews are nothing but guidelines, I can see that some gamers fall in love with games that reviewed averagely. To me games are only judged by those who actually played them. 

Yes all games scores should be considered equally (even if I personally think Nintendo scores are inflated and that a lot of points taken from franchises on other consoles are overlooked on Nintendo), so yes GTS suffered low score on reviews (reason I were saying the reviewers were doing a very lousy job, which can also be the case for SoT).

I don't consider GTS a bad game (and neither that it have low content), and also didn't say SoT is a bad game (unless you can find any quote saying this). What I said and repeat is that the score is low and that for a long time 70 and below on VGC was considered a bad score (and sure enough if I didn't know about the game a 69 score would probably prevent me from buying it, as probably someone that doesn't know GT would put other games in front on priority list due to score).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Azzanation said:

Reason I am asking is because if many in here want to jump on SoTs reviews based off Critics than all games should be considered equal. I remember you defending Gran Turismo Sport that suffered the same fate as SoTs with its lack of content at launch where the game sits on a 75 Metacritic. Someone like yourself who is a GT fan, do you consider GTS a bad game because its a 7 game by majority of critics?

Reviews are nothing but guidelines, I can see that some gamers fall in love with games that reviewed averagely. To me games are only judged by those who actually played them. 

Yes all games scores should be considered equally (even if I personally think Nintendo scores are inflated and that a lot of points taken from franchises on other consoles are overlooked on Nintendo), so yes GTS suffered low score on reviews (reason I were saying the reviewers were doing a very lousy job, which can also be the case for SoT).

I don't consider GTS a bad game (and neither that it have low content), and also didn't say SoT is a bad game (unless you can find any quote saying this). What I said and repeat is that the score is low and that for a long time 70 and below on VGC was considered a bad score (and sure enough if I didn't know about the game a 69 score would probably prevent me from buying it, as probably someone that doesn't know GT would put other games in front on priority list due to score).

Too many gamers on this site just want all there games to be perfect and anything below a 9 is insulting. Some of my favourite games of all time are in the 80s by critics. I couldn't care less if its a 90/100 or a 60/100 if I can enjoy it I will play it. I personally say 7 isn't a bad score, its an average score, if it was a bad score it would be marked in Red on Metacritic.

Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

Too many gamers on this site just want all there games to be perfect and anything below a 9 is insulting. Some of my favourite games of all time are in the 80s by critics. I couldn't care less if its a 90/100 or a 60/100 if I can enjoy it I will play it. I personally say 7 isn't a bad score, its an average score, if it was a bad score it would be marked in Red on Metacritic.

Personally we will all have several games that got 90+ that we don't like, find boring or not deserving the score and others on the 60's that we absolutely loved and there is no reason to put metacritic (or even any specific critic) above our own taste.

And sure no problem if you think 7 is average, I was just pointing that in VGC when people were discussing metas 80 was what was considered average as you yourself recognized on your first phrase.

The important however is if the people playing SoT are enjoying themselves and that it get good and long support.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Now thanks to NPD it is the second best selling game for March and the eighth best selling game YTD.

Proud to be a Californian.

Around the Network
darkenergy said:
Now thanks to NPD it is the second best selling game for March and the eighth best selling game YTD.

So much for "most of the playerbase is using dem free gamepass trials". 

Rare's best debut for a game ever in the US (since NPD tracking started in 1995)

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.