By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Sea of Thieves is Microsoft's fastest selling first party new IP of this generation.

I hope the people who bought the game aren't regretting their purchase.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
JRPGfan said:

Im not sure... but yeah over 300k+ have bought this at full price.

Still thats alot of money, rare & MS are probably pretty happy with it.
Assumeing like ~1.4m unique gamepass buys (300k are shareing the game, ect).

1.4m x 9.99$ + 300k+ x 60$ =  lots of money.

You're not sure? But aren't you the one that put the quotations in there?

Yes, and Im not sure why I did (ei. a mistake).

Besides Project Spark what other first party new IPs have they put out this generation?

Doing mental gymnastics like  

...Ok .... too be fair ... this really isn't AS disingenuous or misleading as people seem to think it is. They probably could have said "best selling new IP we have" if it wasn't for ... I don't know ... maybe Cuphead?

They really can't claim things like that without actually showing sales and not players playing it on a free trial.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
shikamaru317 said:

There are 2 separate achievements.The first achievement is that it the best-selling game on Windows 10 Store, means it outsold Forza Horizon 3, Gears 4, Forza Motorsport 7, Gears Ultimate Edition, Quantum Break, etc. lifetime sales on Win 10 Store in just 1 week.  

The 2nd achievement is that it the fastest selling 1st party title this generation. Since Greenburg confirmed that MS considers any game published by MS Studios to be 1st party, that means it sold more in the first week than Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Ori and the Blind Forest, and ReCore. Cuphead was self published by StudioMDHR through the ID@Xbox program, so it wouldn't be included, though that doesn't necessarily mean that Sea of Thieves first week Xbox + Win 10 sales didn't outsell Cuphead's first week Xbox + Win 10 sales. PUBG is uncertain at this point, it is technically a new IP and published by MS Studios on Xbox, but it's hard to believe that SoT first week Xbox + Win 10 sales beat PUBG first week sales on Xbox. 

so it sold more than PUGB on xbox? you said it yourself, the wording isnt clear, and guess what, this is greenberg and thats intentional, its a spin and after years and years of MS spinning like this its sad that people still cant catch it. they "consider" isnt the same as technically the announcement is about first party IP. this is like how Sony treated Destiny as a first party IP. 

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2016/04/14/39364/. 

look at the wording there in the Quantum Break post, it says "MS published IP". here they are using First Party IP for a reason. 

Agreed. I'll wait for official numbers before saying congrats. Though, this seems to be another No Man's Sky. We'll have to wait and see if MS is going to sink as much time and money into it as Hello Games did to flesh it out. 

I am a retard

But Sea of Thieves is Microsoft's ONLY first party new IP of this generation, isn’t it?

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

shikamaru317 said:
Aeolus451 said:
They really can't claim things like that without actually showing sales and not players playing it on a free trial.

That's not a breakdown of their sales numbers. What do they count as a sale? I don't trust their word on stuff like this because ms has a habit of spinning things. 

FIT_Gamer said:
Besides Project Spark what other first party new IPs have they put out this generation?

Does Xbox Fitness count?