By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Sea of Thieves is Microsoft's fastest selling first party new IP of this generation.

3sexty said:
Aeolus451 said:

Sales are front loaded. They aren't a testament of how good a game is. Games can sell well just on hype. It got alot of bad reviews because it's boring and basically the same from the beta. I doubt that Rare will update this game to the point that Hello Games did with NMS but we will see.

How is 7/10 bad? That means actually slightly more positive reviews than negative. Do you not understand how scales and averages work?

It's in the 6s.

Around the Network

I think this game is a big and important step forward in the design of immersive online worlds. Living, breathing world simulations that suck the player in. Imagination and fantasy about adventure turned into a virtual world populated by other humans.

Despite the somewhat mediocre (and unfair) reviews, this game turned out to be much better than anyone expected, it just lacks content right now. But the difficult part in game design is not making content. In fact that's the easiest. What's difficult is to make a game engaging and fun in its basic design, and Rare has accomplished that with Sea of Thieves brilliantly. Rare can just release more content gradually over time and Sea of Thieves (or possibly a sequel) will live on for years and become a classic and very beloved game.

Aeolus451 said:
3sexty said:

How is 7/10 bad? That means actually slightly more positive reviews than negative. Do you not understand how scales and averages work?

It's in the 6s.

6.9 doesn't round down to to 6.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

flashfire926 said:
Aeolus451 said:

It's in the 6s.

6.9 doesn't round down to to 6

People are rounding to make it seem better. The score is 6.9. That's in the 6s. It's below average.

Slimebeast said:
I think this game is a big and important step forward in the design of immersive online worlds. Living, breathing world simulations that suck the player in. Imagination and fantasy about adventure turned into a virtual world populated by other humans.

Despite the somewhat mediocre (and unfair) reviews, this game turned out to be much better than anyone expected, it just lacks content right now. But the difficult part in game design is not making content. In fact that's the easiest. What's difficult is to make a game engaging and fun in its basic design, and Rare has accomplished that with Sea of Thieves brilliantly. Rare can just release more content gradually over time and Sea of Thieves (or possibly a sequel) will live on for years and become a classic and very beloved game.

Well, I expected the score to be higher as evident by my prediction in the MS prediction thread.

Around the Network

Aeolus451 said:
flashfire926 said:

People are rounding to make it seem better. The score is 6.9. That's in the 6s. It's below average.

No, no one is rounding it to make it seem better. If it was 71, it would still be 7/10. It's more of a 7 than a 6. Get a handle on how numbers work, please.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Aeolus451 said:
flashfire926 said:

You are rounding it down to make it seem worse than it is. And I really wonder why. What do you have to gain by doing this?

Now, since you're basing your claim based on the score it has on metacritics, do you even know what is considered average there?

Here:

Notice how it says "Mixed or average reviews based on 51 Critics"?

Yeah. It's an average score. Not a bad one. It may be bad by your own metrics (whatever they are), but it isn't so by the metacritic metrics.

So Sea of was had a great debut in U.K., and now we know it also had a great debut in Australia.

https://press-start.com.au/news/xbox/2018/03/29/sea-thieves-topped-aussie-gaming-chart/

The game is a sales success for sure, whichever way you cut it. It's undeniable. It's also #2 on the most popular paid downloads chart for US, only behind pubg.

Bet with Intrinsic:

Holly crap. A game from Rare that did very well that isn't Kinect Sports. I think we can probably count on one hand how many Microsoft-published games from Rare sold beyond expectations. Good for them.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

flashfire926 said:
So Sea of was had a great debut in U.K., and now we know it also had a great debut in Australia.

https://press-start.com.au/news/xbox/2018/03/29/sea-thieves-topped-aussie-gaming-chart/

The game is a sales success for sure, whichever way you cut it. It's undeniable. It's also #2 on the most popular paid downloads chart for US, only behind pubg.

SoT became the most Payed game(sales) on Xbox on Saturday passing PUBG. Since then its been #5-7 on the most played being behind the likes of CoD, Rainbow 6, Fortnite, NBA, PUBG and GTA. It even passed 2K and CoD yesterday and in the weekend but its back to 7th place.