By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Angry Joe's Sea of Thieves Angry Review

Hynad said:
Azzanation said:

They published the game and allowed Shawn Murrey to keep on promising things that aren't in the game.

It doesnt matter if its Sony, Nintendo or Xbox. If you are publishing and supporting a game and using that game to promote your own product than there needs to be responsibility and Sony did nothing apart from hide the MP logo on the cover of the box. 

That's sneaky.

Hello Games self published No Man's Sky. Sony helped them fund the marketing and to get the physical copies out, but the game is credited as being published by Hello Games. Never has the game been the property of Sony. Unlike other games published by them.

You always find a way to reach and put the fault on Sony. And yeah, it matters if it's Sony, Nintendo, or XBox, when it comes to you. Because you don't talk shit like that about the other two.

Sony help fund the marketing and also used there game as one of there major E3 games. If there going to make a timed exclusive than they need to take responsibility for it. Id say the exact same thing for the other two.

Its what we call quality control.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 29 March 2018

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Hynad said:

Hello Games self published No Man's Sky. Sony helped them fund the marketing and to get the physical copies out, but the game is credited as being published by Hello Games. Never has the game been the property of Sony. Unlike other games published by them.

You always find a way to reach and put the fault on Sony. And yeah, it matters if it's Sony, Nintendo, or XBox, when it comes to you. Because you don't talk shit like that about the other two.

Sony help fund the marketing and also used there game as one of there major E3 games. If there going to make a timed exclusive than they need to take responsibility for it. Id say the exact same thing for the other two.

You do realize that in this very thread you are proving that to be a lie, right?  Rare is a 1st party studio made up of ~200 employees, who had ~4 years to work on this game, so where is the quality control from MS, as well as your criticism for the lack of it?  Instead you are making excuses for a full priced game being filled up with little more than "tutorial quests" and the same skeleton enemies over and over, just because it is on your console of choice. 

Then, go on to bash a company that is made up of 16 employees that aimed too high, just because it first appeared on the PS4 because Sony paid for timed exclusivity.  Do HG deserve criticism for not being honest about it not all being available at launch?  Yes, they do, and they got plenty of it.  But, so does Rare and MS for this game's overhyped launch and lack of content, not lame excuses.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 30 March 2018

thismeintiel said:
Azzanation said:

You do realize that in this very thread you are proving that to be a lie, right?  Rare is a 1st party studio made up of ~200 employees, who had ~4 years to work on this game, so where is the quality control from MS, as well as your criticism for the lack of it?  Instead you are making excuses for a full priced game being filled up with little more than "tutorial quests" and the same skeleton enemies over and over, just because it is on your console of choice. 

Then, go on to bash a company that is made up of 16 employees that aimed too high, just because it first appeared on the PS4 because Sony paid for timed exclusivity.  Do HG deserve criticism for not being honest about it not all being available at launch?  Yes, they do, and they got plenty of it.  But, so does Rare and MS for this game's overhyped launch and lack of content, not lame excuses.

There is nothing wrong with the quality of Sea Of Thieves. The game didnt have to lie to its customers to sell well. What you and many in here hate to admit is that SOTs just didnt turn out to be the game you wanted from Rare. 

Sony and Hello Games rode the hype generated by Shaun Murrey that made them alittle fortune at the cost of delivering a completely different experience to what was promise. He said the game had MP,  Sony didnt brother to correct it and all they did was allow the lies to happen. How could you let the game release on your own platform knowing that this game is nothing like what they claimed? I guess it explains why Black Tiger sits in the PSN store to.

Those that played the SOTs beta knew what the game was about. They added alittle bit more in the full game which i agree lacks content but the game is what it is. NMS even today is nothing like they promised.

Azzanation said:
thismeintiel said:

There is nothing wrong with the quality of Sea Of Thieves. The game didnt have to lie to its customers to sell well. What you and many in here hate to admit is that SOTs just didnt turn out to be the game you wanted from Rare. 

Sony and Hello Games rode the hype generated by Shaun Murrey that made them alittle fortune at the cost of delivering a completely different experience to what was promise. He said the game had MP,  Sony didnt brother to correct it and all they did was allow the lies to happen. How could you let the game release on your own platform knowing that this game is nothing like what they claimed? I guess it explains why Black Tiger sits in the PSN store to.

Those that played the SOTs beta knew what the game was about. They added alittle bit more in the full game which i agree lacks content but the game is what it is. NMS even today is nothing like they promised.

So, MS and Rare exaggerate how rich the world will be, filled with awesome quests and many fantastical creatures, but has the same tutorial quests over and over filled with skeletons, which has many let down/pissed, and that's OK. No criticism of quality control for a 200 man, 4 year developed game. But, HG, not Sony, exaggerate their content, and it's Sony's fault. Got it. Lol. The bias pours through the screen.

BTW, that last line is a lie. After the 3 major updates, yes, it is like they promised. Probably even more so after the NEXT update. Still, they deserve criticism for how they handled the PR before launch. Just like MS and Rare deserve criticism for hyping this game to no end as their most ambitious game that would redefine a genre. Filled with almost endless customization and fantastical quests and creatures. 

thismeintiel said:
Azzanation said:

NMS was a lied game thanks to Hello Games and Sony letting it happen.

No one expected the game to be the way it is, there biggist mistake is they lied about MP which you could not see other players. 

Guess what, SOTs is exactly what you expected at launch, it just lacks content. Its a pirate playground and content can be fixed.

You cannot change NMS to what many were saying was the Star Citizen for consoles turned out to be nothing more than a farming sim.

Apparently SoT isn't exactly what people expected, hence the poor online/user reviews.  And that actually does fall on Rare and MS, for overhyping a bare bones game, whereas NMS is on HG, not Sony.

Sony didn't play a role in overhyping NMS?

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
thismeintiel said:

Apparently SoT isn't exactly what people expected, hence the poor online/user reviews.  And that actually does fall on Rare and MS, for overhyping a bare bones game, whereas NMS is on HG, not Sony.

I think Troy Leavitt (@ 12:43) said it best. Sony didn't play an active role in overhyping NMS, but the company was not blameless. Sony had the chance to tell Hello Games to dial the hype back, but ultimately did not.

Aura7541 said:
KLAMarine said:

I think Troy Leavitt (@ 12:43) said it best. Sony didn't play an active role in overhyping NMS, but the company was not blameless. Sony had the chance to tell Hello Games to dial the hype back, but ultimately did not.

Personally, I see it no different than advertising rights to a 3rd party game, which this is. Sony, or MS, gives them stage time to promote their game,  as well as help fund advertising, but it's ultimately on the dev/pub to be honest with the gamers. It would be like blaming Sony/MS/Nintendo for Ubisoft downgrading the visuals/game play in one of their games. SoT is a first party game from one of MS's main studios, which was given 4 years to develop this game. So, blame goes 100% on Rare and MS's shoulders. 

Aura7541 said:
KLAMarine said:

Not only did they have a chance to dial the hype back, they gave NMS devs a big screen to promote the game on not once but twice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6JakCSDHPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGy8HIYBwV0

Hell, even Yoshida himself had a seat with Murray at one point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sb-clg3Tlw

Seems pretty active promotion to me. I believe it was Sony who approached Hello Games from the start!

thismeintiel said:
Aura7541 said:

Personally, I see it no different than advertising rights to a 3rd party game, which this is. Sony, or MS, gives them stage time to promote their game,  as well as help fund advertising, but it's ultimately on the dev/pub to be honest with the gamers. It would be like blaming Sony/MS/Nintendo for Ubisoft downgrading the visuals/game play in one of their games. SoT is a first party game from one of MS's main studios, which was given 4 years to develop this game. So, blame goes 100% on Rare and MS's shoulders. 

But promoting the product of a little team of 16 or so is not the same as promoting a Ubi Soft game or Rockstar game. Surely Sony knows a thing or two about game development and what a dozen-man team is capable of? They've only been in the business for some 20 years. According to IGN, Yoshida himself acknowledged:

"It wasn't a great PR strategy, because he didn't have a PR person helping him, and in the end he is an indie developer."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/09/16/shuhei-yoshida-no-mans-sky-didnt-have-a-great-pr-strategy

Maybe 20 years wasn't enough time for Sony to learn about game development? They sure know how to put on a show regardless, distribute the game, put the game on the PSN storefront and sell the game at $60 a pop.

Of course, I think just about anything is forgivable if Sony were ready to issue refunds with the greatest of ease. Not so it seemed, Sony was pretty good with the lip service at the time:

https://cdn.gamer-network.net/2015/articles/1/8/5/6/7/8/1/sonys-shuhei-yoshida-on-no-mans-sky-147402330183.png

tl;dr: "Sony won't issue a refund for a faulty product, go complain to Hello Games (who may or may not have been pulling a vanishing act at the time)".

#4theplayer

Knowing you thismeintiel, with all due respect, I suspect you would have been dancing and singing condemnation of this sort of behavior if it were anyone other than Sony.

KLAMarine said:
Aura7541 said:

Not only did they have a chance to dial the hype back, they gave NMS devs a big screen to promote the game on not once but twice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6JakCSDHPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGy8HIYBwV0

Hell, even Yoshida himself had a seat with Murray at one point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sb-clg3Tlw

Seems pretty active promotion to me. I believe it was Sony who approached Hello Games from the start!

thismeintiel said:

But promoting the product of a little team of 16 or so is not the same as promoting a Ubi Soft game or Rockstar game. Surely Sony knows a thing or two about game development and what a dozen-man team is capable of? They've only been in the business for some 20 years. According to IGN, Yoshida himself acknowledged:

"It wasn't a great PR strategy, because he didn't have a PR person helping him, and in the end he is an indie developer."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/09/16/shuhei-yoshida-no-mans-sky-didnt-have-a-great-pr-strategy

Maybe 20 years wasn't enough time for Sony to learn about game development? They sure know how to put on a show regardless, distribute the game, put the game on the PSN storefront and sell the game at $60 a pop.

Of course, I think just about anything is forgivable if Sony were ready to issue refunds with the greatest of ease. Not so it seemed, Sony was pretty good with the lip service at the time:

https://cdn.gamer-network.net/2015/articles/1/8/5/6/7/8/1/sonys-shuhei-yoshida-on-no-mans-sky-147402330183.png

tl;dr: "Sony won't issue a refund for a faulty product, go complain to Hello Games (who may or may not have been pulling a vanishing act at the time)".

#4theplayer

Knowing you thismeintiel, with all due respect, I suspect you would have been dancing and singing condemnation of this sort of behavior if it were anyone other than Sony.

Good thing you don't know me, huh? And no, there is no difference. You can blame Sony all you want for trying to help a small dev team, while trying to deflect blame away from a 1st party dev and their parent company lying about the scope of their game, even though that team is more than 12x the size of HG and had 4 years to deliver something, but it's not going to work. There's a reason SoT is getting worse reviews than even NMS. 

# nomanssea

thismeintiel said:
Azzanation said:

So, MS and Rare exaggerate how rich the world will be, filled with awesome quests and many fantastical creatures, but has the same tutorial quests over and over filled with skeletons, which has many let down/pissed, and that's OK. No criticism of quality control for a 200 man, 4 year developed game. But, HG, not Sony, exaggerate their content, and it's Sony's fault. Got it. Lol. The bias pours through the screen.

BTW, that last line is a lie. After the 3 major updates, yes, it is like they promised. Probably even more so after the NEXT update. Still, they deserve criticism for how they handled the PR before launch. Just like MS and Rare deserve criticism for hyping this game to no end as their most ambitious game that would redefine a genre. Filled with almost endless customization and fantastical quests and creatures. 

MS do what any other company would do for there first party games, Advertising there games, much like Sony do with theres. Just because it doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean lies were made. SOTs had 3 to 4 Betas before launch, how many did NMS have? Sure the game lacks content no one is denying that however it is ambition and it has redefined a genre, its the only game of its type at its quality. It was a huge risk creating SOTs. Hence why its is an ambitions project.

You haven't even played SOTs so your point is nothing more than you reading its worse review and posting the negative sides. Go read the positive reviews and have an equal ground.

Have you played NMS? Have they turned it into that huge Sci-Fi MMO online game they promised or is it still a survival crafting game in space? (#Spacecraft)

I played NMS 3 weeks ago, I gave the game another chance and not much has changed, its still the same game I played at launch with more content. Content cannot fix the style of game it is. That's just my personal opinion and experience with the game. You have zero experience with SOTs and I doubt you have played NMS as well. Please correct me on that if you have.