By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Online subscription. Fair or not fair?

Is paying to play online fair?

No. 37 58.73%

Yes. 21 33.33%

Don't know. 5 7.94%

Total:63
Stuart23 said:
Depends of the price and what is offered for that price.

Bin fucking go...

Around the Network

It's grossly unfair. It wasn't there before on the PS3 as online was obviously part of the experience one ALREADY paid for when paying for the hardware then the software... And that's not mentioning that we pay for online access anyway with our ISP's... So adding an extra paywall in the form of a fee is wrong and for fools... But the fools apparently won since there is enough of them to make this extra fee the "norm".

StokedUp said:
Are you talking about subscriptions for video games like MMORPGS? If so then I think it’s fair. I subscribed to final fantasy 14 a realm reborn, it was only £7 per month And the service was brilliant. You've got to realise that square enix (in the case of ff14) have got to have maintenance teams and developers constantly working on the game to bring updates and keep the servers working correctly and then bring out the big expansions for our benfit and pleasure.
So in my opinion there’s nothing wrong with them, it’s a service and we pay for services all through our lives.

No, I mean games like COD that you pay full price on the game, but can't play online if you don't pay for play online.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

vivster said:

Fair for whom? Unless you mean absolute equality, "fairness" is very much highly subjective.

The better question would be: "Do you mind paying for online services?".

Fair enough.

I'm editing the post.

God bless You.

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

CrazyGamer2017 said:
It's grossly unfair. It wasn't there before on the PS3 as online was obviously part of the experience one ALREADY paid for when paying for the hardware then the software... And that's not mentioning that we pay for online access anyway with our ISP's... So adding an extra paywall in the form of a fee is wrong and for fools... But the fools apparently won since there is enough of them to make this extra fee the "norm".

That's the point of the discussion.

You buy a PS4 and COD and after paying for that, you expect to have the experience of playing COD online. However you have to pay for online, or your COD copy and your PS4 is basically useless.

God bless You.

Around the Network

If online multiplayer funcionality on PC is free and high quality, I don't understand why it can't be the case for consoles as well. 

No subscription is best since you don't need to pay extra

But subscriptions usually has some perks so at least there is that

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

I dont like them but if the game is good enough to warrant the expense then I am in. And the extra games every month and extra savings on sales have been enough for me to keep getting a sub, plus just re-up every black friday, I usually get a year of live or psn for $40 or less. its a non factor in the scheme of things.

DragonRouge said:

If online multiplayer funcionality on PC is free and high quality, I don't understand why it can't be the case for consoles as well. 

I still remember the days when we had dedicated and private servers for games. New online based games hardly allow for this anymore.

Totally agree though. if it's free on PC, it should be free on consoles as well.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

DragonRouge said:

We have a winner here! I'd also like to add that if something similar once was free on some platform, it should be free in the future as well unless the costs have changed drastically.