By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Online subscription. Fair or not fair?

Is paying to play online fair?

No. 37 58.73%

Yes. 21 33.33%

Don't know. 5 7.94%

Total:63
Flilix said:
Neodegenerate said:

It doesn't cost them $0 to maintain their servers.  And thats why it can't be free.

Not $0, but I'm quite sure the cost is nowhere near the amount of money they make with these subscriptions.

No certainly not.  However, there aren't many items that cost close to what you pay for them.  Capitalism demands profits.  Is our unfortunate reality.

Around the Network
Flilix said:
Neodegenerate said:

It doesn't cost them $0 to maintain their servers.  And thats why it can't be free.

Not $0, but I'm quite sure the cost is nowhere near the amount of money they make with these subscriptions.

It's not only the cost to mantain servers on, but pay a team to keep working on the games to bring new content and so forth, it is heavy mainly in MMOs.

Online fees for consoles PS4, Switch and XboxOne are pure money making, thinking they are something else is naive. They hype their features and "free" games etc., but that doesn´t change the facts. Those profit margins are huge and they could be free now and have been free in the past. Excuses are for those that want to feel better about paying for online play.

Ka-pi96 said:
Birimbau said:

It's not only the cost to mantain servers on, but pay a team to keep working on the games to bring new content and so forth, it is heavy mainly in MMOs.

Isn't that what buying expansions/DLC is for? Why should you need to pay for a subscription if you're already paying for the new content they're working on?

Most MMOs are either subscription or F2P/microtransaction only, being the majority F2P (Aion case) or B2P (Guild Wars 2 case) with microtransactions because it attracts more players than  having a sub, the old sub model is getting more and more unpopular as the time goes on, [WoW for example has all 3 models at once (buy the game (B2P)/pay sub/has microtransactions) which explains why it is losing players on a steadily basis].

The F2P + microtransactions model is what is attracting more players today. Lots of games make billion+ yearly revenues being free to play with only having microtransactions, like League of Legends.

Last edited by Birimbau - on 20 March 2018

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Neodegenerate said:

So then, why is it the platform holders and not individual developers who are charging for the servers?

Good thing you already pay money for the ability to access the game's content before you pay for an online subscription. 

If this service was a requirement, than Steam and Origin would cost money to use, too ...

Because the architecture behind a network is far more intensive than setting up P2P servers. When you play a game online on PS4, you're playing it on PSN, not the server list that varies wildly from dev to dev. While netcode isn't created equal, you know the product will work.

To summarize all the work that has gone into it as the same thing as digital storefronts or to deny the leaps and bounds in product quality.... Man, I don't even know what to call that. Blissful ignorance? It's like how people falsely say that PSN/XBL are doing the same thing as Steam when Steam hosts absolutely nothing off store. They don't offer the same product at all.

If you don't think the value is worth the cost, then don't buy it. I will pay for it because I place very high value on cloud saves, PSN discounts, and free games.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Flilix said:
Mr Puggsly said:

No, that's just part of the package and a great benefit. The reason most people subscribe is to play online.

Frankly, I don't get why people complain so much. PS+ and XBL are some of the cheapest subscription services around.

Of course people suscribe to play online, but why can't it be free? It doesn't cost them millions to maintain their servers.

Heh, I'm sure it cost millions to build/maintain their servers and online services. Perhaps many millions. I mean they have a staff and the services are used by many millions of people whether it be online play or any other service that uses their servers.

But their goal isn't to lose money or break even, these subscription services are part of what makes these platforms profitable and relatively speaking its cheap. I mean PS+ and XBLG COMBINED is about same price as a year of Netflix.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

outlawauron said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

So then, why is it the platform holders and not individual developers who are charging for the servers?

Good thing you already pay money for the ability to access the game's content before you pay for an online subscription. 

If this service was a requirement, than Steam and Origin would cost money to use, too ...

Because the architecture behind a network is far more intensive than setting up P2P servers. When you play a game online on PS4, you're playing it on PSN, not the server list that varies wildly from dev to dev. While netcode isn't created equal, you know the product will work.

To summarize all the work that has gone into it as the same thing as digital storefronts or to deny the leaps and bounds in product quality.... Man, I don't even know what to call that. Blissful ignorance? It's like how people falsely say that PSN/XBL are doing the same thing as Steam when Steam hosts absolutely nothing off store. They don't offer the same product at all.

If you don't think the value is worth the cost, then don't buy it. I will pay for it because I place very high value on cloud saves, PSN discounts, and free games.

You know, we are on an online forum with the ability to reply to people ... you could just ask for clarification instead of calling others ignorant instantly. I will admit I worded that badly as there is a common misconception that Steam and PSN are the exact same, so I can see why you assumed I was being ignorant ... however that's not what I was getting at and you could just simply ask me for clarification before hammering down judgment. Just to be clear, I *know* that PSN and Steam are different, PSN is much more complex and hosts multiple games. However, even if PSN has higher costs because it's an entire network and not just a system of servers spread around one individual product ... that doesn't really change the fact that you're paying money for a console for the purpose of playing those consoles games, no? That's kind of the point of the consoles, and in 2018 you'd expect that the ability to use internet freely comes in that package. 

Simply put, PSN's problem isn't the value, it's the fact that you have to pay to use online in the first place. Your excuse and Sony's excuse is the value, but that value could just be put behind any other subscription service. So they have to lock the value behind the ability to play online. Most people who have PSN are paying for it JUST BECAUSE you have to use it to play online. You can use the excuse all you want of the "value" but I would rather just play online for free and have the option for a separate subscription service ... 

Of course it's fair. This isn't a game of cards, this is capitalism.

It's fair for them to charge $200 if they wanted. It's their product, they have that right. No one is entitled to "free online" or any other feature.

At the same time, of course, consumers have the right to not buy that product.

Mr Puggsly said:
Flilix said:

Of course people suscribe to play online, but why can't it be free? It doesn't cost them millions to maintain their servers.

Heh, I'm sure it cost millions to build/maintain their servers and online services. Perhaps many millions. I mean they have a staff and the services are used by many millions of people whether it be online play or any other service that uses their servers.

But their goal isn't to lose money or break even, these subscription services are part of what makes these platforms profitable and relatively speaking its cheap. I mean PS+ and XBLG COMBINED is about same price as a year of Netflix.

Aren't the online services free on PC? Why would developers waste millions on their PC servers?

pokoko said:
Of course it's fair. This isn't a game of cards, this is capitalism.

It's fair for them to charge $200 if they wanted. It's their product, they have that right. No one is entitled to "free online" or any other feature.

At the same time, of course, consumers have the right to not buy that product.

Many felt that they had no other option, than to suck it up and pay. Were are not entitled to anything. Microsoft first tested the waters and gamers gobbled it up, then Sony followed and everyone was fine with it and now Nintendo is about to do it, because why not? We gamers made it easy for them.