By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Online subscription. Fair or not fair?

Is paying to play online fair?

No. 37 58.73%

Yes. 21 33.33%

Don't know. 5 7.94%

Total:63
flashfire926 said:
Yes, to an extent. Running Xbox Live of PSN isnt free. It takes money to run these servers. Look at how shitty PSN was in PS3 days (when it was free), and look at how far along it has come on now.

However, the PSN "free games" and games with gold should be scrapped, because for people who want a monthly subscription for games PSNOW and Xbox game pass exists. And the price should simultaneously be lowered to $20-$40.

60 bucks is too much, imo.

I disagree with the bolded part.

The primary difference with "free" games with PS+/GwG is you keep those games with your subscription. Meanwhile with Gamepass and PS Now, you get access to many games instantly but games get removed.

Because of that I don't want "free" games removed from PS+ and GwG.

However, I think MS launching games on Gamepass is a game changer on what a game subscription service can be.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

If there would be option for online play that costs nothing or just a little, then I would like that instead of "free games" and "better" services. They are not giving us the option to choose, because then many would choose to give them less money... Its a shame that Wii U failed as it was the last hope for free online.

Mr Puggsly said:
Flilix said:
No. It's a way to indirectly sell people games that they don't even want.

No, that's just part of the package and a great benefit. The reason most people subscribe is to play online.

Frankly, I don't get why people complain so much. PS+ and XBL are some of the cheapest subscription services around.

Of course people suscribe to play online, but why can't it be free? It doesn't cost them millions to maintain their servers.

Flilix said:
Mr Puggsly said:

No, that's just part of the package and a great benefit. The reason most people subscribe is to play online.

Frankly, I don't get why people complain so much. PS+ and XBL are some of the cheapest subscription services around.

Of course people suscribe to play online, but why can't it be free? It doesn't cost them millions to maintain their servers.

It doesn't cost them $0 to maintain their servers.  And thats why it can't be free.

The poll makes me really happy. I'm surprised by how many people think it's unfair considering most of the people here are console peasants  .

Around the Network
Neodegenerate said:

It doesn't cost them $0 to maintain their servers.  And thats why it can't be free.

But it was free and is free...

Stuart23 said:
Depends of the price and what is offered for that price.

Exactly. If item has value and charges an appropriate for that value, then I will likely buy it.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

The F2P model in which the company makes money through microtransactions came to stay, it sure attracts more players than the old subscription model nowadays.

Neodegenerate said:
Flilix said:

Not $0, but I'm quite sure the cost is nowhere near the amount of money they make with these subscriptions.

Neodegenerate said:
Flilix said:

So then, why is it the platform holders and not individual developers who are charging for the servers?

Good thing you already pay money for the ability to access the game's content before you pay for an online subscription. 

If this service was a requirement, than Steam and Origin would cost money to use, too ...