By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God of War Previews Are In!

Amazing, I can not wait to play this masterpiece on my Playstation 4!

Around the Network
Madword said:
outlawauron said:

This game is starting to scream critical darling with a pretty mixed fan reaction. Almost every single piece of news I've heard about the game recently has just made it sound awful. I don't know why any GOW fans would be excited for this game.

There is no way they could have made the same old GOW game style... they would have got nailed from the reviewers, and gamers were already starting to drop off. It needed to be made next gen. From someone who only got into GOW when 3 came out and then played most of them within a few years, I can honestly say they have made the right decision. You may not agree but from a design/creators point of view, they have so nailed it (from what I have seen). Still has all the key parts of GOW just in a different application.

I don't agree at all. Action games are still done extremely well and review very well. Just because they needed to move on from the same basic movesets doesn't mean they had to make it what it has become. I guess it's still an action game, but it'd be better if it was a complete reboot rather than a sequel to GOW3. It looks like spin-off that is reskinning other Sony games with Kratos.

Bristow9091 said:
outlawauron said:

This game is starting to scream critical darling with a pretty mixed fan reaction. Almost every single piece of news I've heard about the game recently has just made it sound awful. I don't know why any GOW fans would be excited for this game.

I'm a huge God of War fan and I'm VERY excited for this, the series needed a bit of a shake up in my opinion, and it was rumoured to be Norse mythology for so long anyway... as for the gameplay, over the shoulder means we can get closer to the action, and honestly it seems like there's weight between attacks and it looks so much more brutal up close too, can't wait to try it myself... there's still gonna' be combos and stuff, AoE attacks, magic etc. and don't forget we've only seen footage from the first three hours of the game, so around 10% of the game, I'm sure it'll ramp up with more enemies etc. as the game goes on... also the camera moves further out when you're fighting bigger enemies, if you see the troll (boss?) fight, the camera isn't zoomed in as much, and we've seen some pretty big enemies from trailers, so I'm expecting us to still get the epic scale fights that the series is know for, just from a different perspective. 

Also to anyone wondering about the R1 + R2 thing, I watched a video earlier (I think it was the Playstation Underground video?) and one of the guys said you can switch attacks to Square + Triangle in the settings, so it won't feel too foreign for you, you'll be able to use the same control scheme as the other games for the most part.

I really hate the focus on smaller fights and the concept of needing a small kid to win battles or traverse terrain. The camera might be "bring you closer to the action" but I think it's more to detract from how little is going on when you're actually fighting. As far as it looking more brutal, I'm not sure what gameplay you've seen. It looks far less brutal and certainly less grotesque. While the attacks have more weight, it's more of a compensation for the much slower game speed. When everything is slower, each attack has more weight to it.

Lawlight said:
outlawauron said:

Nah, the game will be very popular with fans. It’s still GoW.

We'll see. Making such big changes the core gameplay is a big risk, so we'll see if it pays off.  That type of change is either something that people love or hate.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Madword said:

There is no way they could have made the same old GOW game style... they would have got nailed from the reviewers, and gamers were already starting to drop off. It needed to be made next gen. From someone who only got into GOW when 3 came out and then played most of them within a few years, I can honestly say they have made the right decision. You may not agree but from a design/creators point of view, they have so nailed it (from what I have seen). Still has all the key parts of GOW just in a different application.

I don't agree at all. Action games are still done extremely well and review very well. Just because they needed to move on from the same basic movesets doesn't mean they had to make it what it has become. I guess it's still an action game, but it'd be better if it was a complete reboot rather than a sequel to GOW3. It looks like spin-off that is reskinning other Sony games with Kratos.

This game is redemption for past sins. Sony killed two birds with one stone with this game:

1) They will keep their game current.

2) They would have also silenced the critics who said god of war was a gorefest helmed by a one dimensional character. They also solved the puzzle of how many gods kratos can take out once olympus was taken down. In this game Kratos seems to be multidimensional because he has someone who has to take care of and has to think about what hes doing. Kratos is not the type to care for anyone or anything, so critics will be happy to see a new side of him. No need for a reboot. Its redemption.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
outlawauron said:

This game is redemption for past sins. Sony killed two birds with one stone with this game:

2) They would have also silenced the critics who said god of war was a gorefest helmed by a one dimensional character. They also solved the puzzle of how many gods kratos can take out once olympus was taken down. In this game Kratos seems to be multidimensional because he has someone who has to take care of and has to think about what hes doing. Kratos is not the type to care for anyone or anything, so critics will be happy to see a new side of him. No need for a reboot. Its redemption.

But this isn't true. We know what motivates Kratos to go on a quest for vengeance and that's because he cared about his family. He only turned callous and angry after they were taken from him. While that still makes him not very deep, but it doesn't really show anything new.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

But this isn't true. We know what motivates Kratos to go on a quest for vengeance and that's because he cared about his family. He only turned callous and angry after they were taken from him. While that still makes him not very deep, but it doesn't really show anything new.

We never experienced his multifaceted nature until now. Showing restraint and care for someone else is going to bring some depth to the story. The reviewers were right. As much as we love Kratos he was a character created by these devs a over a decade ago. They were slightly younger and they've learned how to make a game that they would like to watch as they've had kids and aged. These guys are older now. WIth that wisdom they could reflect on the issues that demanded such great change.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
outlawauron said:

That's the point though, I'm not sure I want an emotional or sensible Kratos. Like I wouldn't want a serious Dante or a chaste Bayonetta. Hack'n'Slash lends itself well to brash, impulsive, over the top characters because it suits the gameplay style, which is why I'm apprehensive about this new Kratos. 

Signature goes here!

outlawauron said:

Naa, it was just a simple premise in order to justify a killing spree, similar to the film 'I Spit On Your Grave'. What followed in the following games was a downward spiral of ever decreasing dimensions. However, the journey back from that is going to be far more interesting. It only takes one hammer to break a clay figure but it takes skill and patience to glue it back together. We'll be part of that process and that will make it fascinating to play. 

The PS5 Exists. 

TruckOSaurus said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

That's the point though, I'm not sure I want an emotional or sensible Kratos. Like I wouldn't want a serious Dante or a chaste Bayonetta. Hack'n'Slash lends itself well to brash, impulsive, over the top characters because it suits the gameplay style, which is why I'm apprehensive about this new Kratos. 

Restraint doesn't mean his anger cannot become unleashed. He just has a reason to not be as temperamental all the time now. The modern hack n slash style lends itself to a more grounded character. Its not arcadey any longer. As you've seen hes in a desperate position to protect his son so if anyone gets near him he will tear them a new one. I was apprehensive about Sony changing the game structure, but im guessing it had to be changed. The old style-based hack n slash isnt selling anymore. Just like sega, the arcade inspired games are dwindling. Its time to reach a crowd that can be sustained and thats with the souls, assassins creed, witcher style games where you must attack and parry in a more cautious way. Much like you likened the old style to his character, this new style lends to his current state of mind.

outlawauron said:

Lawlight said:

Nah, the game will be very popular with fans. It’s still GoW.

We'll see. Making such big changes the core gameplay is a big risk, so we'll see if it pays off.  That type of change is either something that people love or hate.

Gotta ask yourself this, if this weren't GOW' and that isk't Kratos... would ypi still play the game? would you take the game on its own merits and as its own uniqe IP?

I think this is something a lot of peoplw are missing here. 

For me, if this weren't GOW; I would still want the hell outta this game from what I've seen.

outlawauron said:
bananaking21 said: 

outlawauron said:
Madword said:

Bristow9091 said:

I really hate the focus on smaller fights and the concept of needing a small kid to win battles or traverse terrain. The camera might be "bring you closer to the action" but I think it's more to detract from how little is going on when you're actually fighting. As far as it looking more brutal, I'm not sure what gameplay you've seen. It looks far less brutal and certainly less grotesque. While the attacks have more weight, it's more of a compensation for the much slower game speed. When everything is slower, each attack has more weight to it.

I think you’ll just have to play it. But I feel like it would be safe to trust Cory Barlog. Quote from him from one of the videos Gribble just posted:  “For those people who are God of War fans who are still skeptical, I am part of the origin of this franchise; there’s no way I’m gonna do you guys wrong. And I would say...you need to play it.”

Last edited by pitzy272 - on 22 March 2018