By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Belgian man convicted for sexism, will be jailed if fine isn't paid, Under new law.

I find this...

Funny. 10 16.39%

Absurd. 20 32.79%

Scary. 16 26.23%

Sexist. 7 11.48%

Indifferent/comments... 8 13.11%

Total:61
GorillaQc said:
forest-spirit said:

It's probably a police force slogan somewhere.

Yes, being fined for calling a policewoman a whore and being uncooperative (to say the least) during an arrest is so bad that we need to bring in the nukes.

You didn't get the joke right ?

Also, her being a policewoman shouldn't make her worth more than other people FFS. They should NOT have more rights than other people unless we are talking about things like having firearms and this kind of stuff, which have to do with their jobs.

Anyways, i'm done with this thread, i said what i thought about all this stupidity.

You thought that was a funny joke?  And you are done with this stupidity?  For reals, man, you need to not get so triggered by another country's legislative and executive, and judicial process.  It's one thing to weigh in with a sensible and reasoned argument or opinion, but this reaction is more telling than the original story.  You have your freedom of speech, and it certainly is a grand thing to have. But we also have our freedom of thought and your "joke" tells a particular tale.

Around the Network

Am I stuck in a twilight episode or something? I'm sure that they have bigger issues than protecting the feelings of strong women.

super_etecoon said:
GorillaQc said:

You didn't get the joke right ?

Also, her being a policewoman shouldn't make her worth more than other people FFS. They should NOT have more rights than other people unless we are talking about things like having firearms and this kind of stuff, which have to do with their jobs.

Anyways, i'm done with this thread, i said what i thought about all this stupidity.

You thought that was a funny joke?  And you are done with this stupidity?  For reals, man, you need to not get so triggered by another country's legislative and executive, and judicial process.  It's one thing to weigh in with a sensible and reasoned argument or opinion, but this reaction is more telling than the original story.  You have your freedom of speech, and it certainly is a grand thing to have. But we also have our freedom of thought and your "joke" tells a particular tale.

Freedom of thought ? Like putting people of jail because they do things you don't like ? Yeah right. 

That was my last post in this thread for real this time, feel free to reply if you want.

GorillaQc said:
super_etecoon said:

What test is that exactly?

Nuclear weapons testing.
Of course i was exagerating. But i mean, when a country starts having laws this retarded. It's time the country needs a big change. This is so damn stupidly retarded i have no words to describe it. 

Seriously, I keep hearing stuff like this happening in Europe and I'm like "really guys? And we're criticizing Americans for electing a so called 'dictator' as president?" Not that I like Trump, but some of the things currently going on in Europe sound FAR more dictatorial than in the US. At least we've still got our freedom of speech (well sort of) :/

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

So the guy insulted a female police officer and it happened to be sexist offense and he got a fine. Not something very shocking in my opinion. Now if this was a case where a random woman accused a man of being a sexist dick without evidence and he got a fine, now that would be shocking. Fine is still absurdly high but I guess that's what the dude got for being a complete and utter waste of recourses.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
GorillaQc said:
super_etecoon said:

Freedom of thought ? Like putting people of jail because they do things you don't like ? Yeah right. 

That was my last post in this thread for real this time, feel free to reply if you want.

I don't care whether you feel inclined to respond or engage my statement.  The freedom of thought I was referring to was for me to look at your statement (joke) regarding nuking a fricking country for making a decision you didn't like as just slightly oppressive and way worse than this modest fine imposed on this citizen for showing contempt to a police officer, regardless of her gender.  Run your mouth at any police officer and insinuate they don't have the right to wear the badge and you will find yourself in a similar situation.  There are already laws on the books regarding this in most countries; in this particular case they used a refined law because the particular contempt shown was sexist.  But yeah, you're right, let's just nuke them.

DarthMetalliCube said:
RolStoppable said:

I know what you mean. My Austrian Facebook group is fighting the good fight. We miss the days when it was applauded anytime a woman was refered to as 'Dorfmatratze', but nowadays that's deemed as a demeaning word. Back in the good old days, when a woman complained about sexism ("My boyfriend won't stop telling me to make him a sandwich. He believes that women should know their place. I need advice. What's a good comeback in such a situation?"), it was perfectly fine to answer that she better come back with a sandwich.

Lol hey, I didn't infer any of that, you did :P

Obviously sexism is a bad thing, but do we really need LAWS against it? Doesn't that seem a bit creepy big-brotherish to European folks?

I dunno, maybe it's just cause I was raised in America where free speech has always been more valued here (though sadly that's starting to erode in some aspects even here). Maybe it's just a cultural thing. Most of us respect women here (at least most that I know) and don't need laws enforced against us like animals, it's just a matter of basic human decency..

I also see the need to enforce laws like this as somewhat demeaning to women in its own round-about way. It's incredibly patronizing, implying women are weak that need men (in this case big brother) to ride to her rescue. One would think women are strong and independent enough to handle themselves over that scaary speech, just as men should be.

It's just a European thing. For some reason we appreciate the government actually doing something against bad things happening.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

DarthMetalliCube said:
GorillaQc said:

Nuclear weapons testing.
Of course i was exagerating. But i mean, when a country starts having laws this retarded. It's time the country needs a big change. This is so damn stupidly retarded i have no words to describe it. 

Seriously, I keep hearing stuff like this happening in Europe and I'm like "really guys? And we're criticizing Americans for electing a so called 'dictator' as president?" Not that I like Trump, but some of the things currently going on in Europe sound FAR more dictatorial than in the US. At least we've still got our freedom of speech (well sort of) :/

Every single western European country is more free than the US.

https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/freedom-world-2018

Im fine with the penalty in itself(though 3700 seems a bit too much), Im just not fine with it being labeled as sexism.Does everything has to be tied to gender nowadays?That seems to me like misconduit and disregard to the law, which I guess can and should be used, if the situation demands it, to fine and put someone behind jail for a few days for them to learn their lesson.So why this sexism thing?I really dont get it.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

RolStoppable said:
DarthMetalliCube said:

Lol hey, I didn't infer any of that, you did :P

Obviously sexism is a bad thing, but do we really need LAWS against it? Doesn't that seem a bit creepy big-brotherish to European folks?

I dunno, maybe it's just cause I was raised in America where free speech has always been more valued here (though sadly that's starting to erode in some aspects even here). Maybe it's just a cultural thing. Most of us respect women here (at least most that I know) and don't need laws enforced against us like animals, it's just a matter of basic human decency..

I also see the need to enforce laws like this as somewhat demeaning to women in its own round-about way. It's incredibly patronizing, implying women are weak that need men (in this case big brother) to ride to her rescue. One would think women are strong and independent enough to handle themselves over that scaary speech, just as men should be.

Yes, we need laws. The reason why laws need to exist is because basic human decency isn't something that all people live by. Those who are prone to do stupid things must be kept in check.

This law isn't demeaning to women in the slightest. It's also not an obstacle for men, unless you want to turn around and argue against your own argument of basic human decency. Anyone with basic human decency has no risk to get charged and convicted because to this law.

Fair enough I guess. Just glad I don't live in Europe lol.. Like I said, I suppose it boils down to cuture. Americans HIGHLY value our freedom of speech (me probably even moreso than even most other Americans heh).

It's not that I feel this law or this one case is in and of itself dangerous. It's more what the law implies, and the slippery slope of where it could lead us as a civilized, logical, and free society.

For instance - after this, why not just lock people up for insults? Or being assholes (as I believe Kristof already mentioned here). Or what if people are eventually insulted by just looking a certain way of others, and could be fined for an "aggressive stare" lol. Will arguing or talking back one day come with a fine? See once you've opened this can of worms, there's no telling how much they can spread. (That's a phrase right? Screw it, I'm making it one lol).

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden