By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Belgian man convicted for sexism, will be jailed if fine isn't paid, Under new law.

I find this...

Funny. 10 16.39%

Absurd. 20 32.79%

Scary. 16 26.23%

Sexist. 7 11.48%

Indifferent/comments... 8 13.11%

Total:61
DarthMetalliCube said:

More proof that we're slooowly but surely regressing back into the dark ages..

I don't see how it has anything to do with the dark ages.

Around the Network
DarthMetalliCube said:

Yeah, the anti-sexism laws in the Dark Ages were horrible.

DarthMetalliCube said:

Back when if you challenged the local landlord, or city council they put you in prison or chopped of your head?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Flilix said:
DarthMetalliCube said:

Replace "sexism laws" with religious dogma and you'll see what I'm saying. Sexism can be replaced with "blasphemy" in the days of old. We're regressing into tribalism, group think, and identity politics that values groups over individuals, dogma over reason and logic. I believe Dave Rubin used the term "Unlightenment." We're moving further and further away from reason, logic, and intellectualism in favor of "feelings." Very concerning as to where this slippery slope can end up if you ask me.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Ka-pi96 said:
Player2 said:

My money is on "contempt of a police officer".

EDIT - In my country a woman was fined 800€ for posting on her facebook a picture of a police car parked in a place reseved for disabled people.

Don't mess with cops, people.

That's ridiculous. Cops shouldn't be abusing their power like that. Cops parking in disabled places shouldn't be an issue (provided they're doing it in an emergency or something and not just stopping for coffee), but people should have every right to photograph the police doing it and post it wherever they want.

That's how it should be and how it was, but now we can't thanks to Rajoy. We can be fined from 600 up to 30K euros.

Around the Network

Additionally - would a woman get jail time/fined if making a sexist comment against a man in Belgium? Not that I could get behind that either, but at least there wouldn't be double standards (which I'm guessing are in place here)..

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

DarthMetalliCube said:
Flilix said:

Replace "sexism laws" with religious dogma and you'll see what I'm saying. Sexism can be replaced with "blasphemy" in the days of old. We're regressing into tribalism, group think, and identity politics that values groups over individuals, dogma over reason and logic. I believe Dave Rubin used the term "Unlightenment." We're moving further and further away from reason, logic, and intellectualism in favor of "feelings." Very concerning as to where this slippery slope can end up if you ask me.

What times has society not been like that?

For those seeking a transcript of what he said:

“Shut your mouth, I don’t talk to women, being a police officer is not a job for women,” the man told the female police officer during the arrest, according to Gilles Blondeau, a spokesman for the public prosecutor’s office. The officer arrested him and filed charges.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/06/world/europe/belgium-sexism-fine.html

As long as it works bith ways it will be fine.

RolStoppable said:
DarthMetalliCube said:

I know what you mean. My Austrian Facebook group is fighting the good fight. We miss the days when it was applauded anytime a woman was refered to as 'Dorfmatratze', but nowadays that's deemed as a demeaning word. Back in the good old days, when a woman complained about sexism ("My boyfriend won't stop telling me to make him a sandwich. He believes that women should know their place. I need advice. What's a good comeback in such a situation?"), it was perfectly fine to answer that she better come back with a sandwich.

Lol hey, I didn't infer any of that, you did :P

Obviously sexism is a bad thing, but do we really need LAWS against it? Doesn't that seem a bit creepy big-brotherish to European folks?

I dunno, maybe it's just cause I was raised in America where free speech has always been more valued here (though sadly that's starting to erode in some aspects even here). Maybe it's just a cultural thing. Most of us respect women here (at least most that I know) and don't need laws enforced against us like animals, it's just a matter of basic human decency..

I also see the need to enforce laws like this as somewhat demeaning to women in its own round-about way. It's incredibly patronizing, implying women are weak that need men (in this case big brother) to ride to her rescue. One would think women are strong and independent enough to handle themselves over that scaary speech, just as men should be.