By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Belgian man convicted for sexism, will be jailed if fine isn't paid, Under new law.

I find this...

Funny. 10 16.39%

Absurd. 20 32.79%

Scary. 16 26.23%

Sexist. 7 11.48%

Indifferent/comments... 8 13.11%

Total:61

For those seeking a transcript of what he said:

“Shut your mouth, I don’t talk to women, being a police officer is not a job for women,” the man told the female police officer during the arrest, according to Gilles Blondeau, a spokesman for the public prosecutor’s office. The officer arrested him and filed charges.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/06/world/europe/belgium-sexism-fine.html

Around the Network

As long as it works bith ways it will be fine.

RolStoppable said:
DarthMetalliCube said:

Replace "sexism laws" with religious dogma and you'll see what I'm saying. Sexism can be replaced with "blasphemy" in the days of old. We're regressing into tribalism, group think, and identity politics that values groups over individuals, dogma over reason and logic. I believe Dave Rubin used the term "Unlightenment." We're moving further and further away from reason, logic, and intellectualism in favor of "feelings." Very concerning as to where this slippery slope can end up if you ask me.

I know what you mean. My Austrian Facebook group is fighting the good fight. We miss the days when it was applauded anytime a woman was refered to as 'Dorfmatratze', but nowadays that's deemed as a demeaning word. Back in the good old days, when a woman complained about sexism ("My boyfriend won't stop telling me to make him a sandwich. He believes that women should know their place. I need advice. What's a good comeback in such a situation?"), it was perfectly fine to answer that she better come back with a sandwich.

Lol hey, I didn't infer any of that, you did :P

Obviously sexism is a bad thing, but do we really need LAWS against it? Doesn't that seem a bit creepy big-brotherish to European folks?

I dunno, maybe it's just cause I was raised in America where free speech has always been more valued here (though sadly that's starting to erode in some aspects even here). Maybe it's just a cultural thing. Most of us respect women here (at least most that I know) and don't need laws enforced against us like animals, it's just a matter of basic human decency..

I also see the need to enforce laws like this as somewhat demeaning to women in its own round-about way. It's incredibly patronizing, implying women are weak that need men (in this case big brother) to ride to her rescue. One would think women are strong and independent enough to handle themselves over that scaary speech, just as men should be.

"We hold these truths t-be self-ful evident. All men and women created by the.. Go-you know the.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

North Korea should do their tests in Belgium.

GorillaQc said:

What test is that exactly?

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:
GorillaQc said:

Nuclear weapons testing.
Of course i was exagerating. But i mean, when a country starts having laws this retarded. It's time the country needs a big change. This is so damn stupidly retarded i have no words to describe it. 

GorillaQc said:
super_etecoon said:

Nuclear weapons testing.
Of course i was exagerating. But i mean, when a country starts having laws this retarded. It's time the country needs a big change. This is so damn stupidly retarded i have no words to describe it. 

And what change are you inferring?

I think that was more for not respecting police authority,  than sexism.

VGPolyglot said:
GorillaQc said:

Nuclear weapons testing.

And what change are you inferring?

Anything, as long as the country changes in the end. The nuclear bombing was just a dark joke. Laws like this are completely unacceptable, no matter where you live and people should do something about it. No laws this stupid should exist. I know every country has their stupid laws, but this is not acceptable, seriously, freedom of speech should be one of the most important things in a society. Think about how far this can go, if now in Belgium you can be put in jail for such stupid reasons, just think about what could be next ? Being put in jail for having a different opinion than the majority ? Of course i'm using an extreme exemple but you get the point. 

All in all, the problem lies in today's society, instead of the laws being made for justice, they are made for order. This is dumb and should change in every country. 

Insulting a police officer is one thing and one thing only, an insult. Now if you add sexism to the mix, you might as well start locking people up for being assholes. This is very shady and dangerous territory and with time we're going to need way more asterixis to our basic freedoms.