By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch sales surpasses 650,000 units in Germany, sets new record

Nintendo has confirmed that the Switch managed to sell 650k units in its first year, which is a new record for the country. The previous record-holder was the Wii, which set the record back in 2007.

http://switch-reviews.de/die-nintendo-switch-hat-sich-in-deutschland-650-000-mal-verkauft-infos-zur-leipziger-buchmesse/

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 13 March 2018

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
It's a new record for Nintendo home consoles. Nintendo Germany's PR considers Switch a home console.

Either way, wouldn't Nintendo hold the record?

RolStoppable said:
It's a new record for Nintendo home consoles. Nintendo Germany's PR considers Switch a home console.

Actually it seems that's new record for any Nintendo system, previous record was held buy Wii.

It's a good sign the Switch is selling so well in Europe, even with the PS4 dominating that region. By the way, how much did the DS sell over there during its first year?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

RolStoppable said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Either way, wouldn't Nintendo hold the record?

When a press release uses an arbitrary metric, then it's quite safe to assume that it isn't an overall record. Nintendo of America has done the same thing to celebrate Switch as a #1 console.

Miyamotoo said:

Actually it seems that's new record for any Nintendo system, previous record was held buy Wii.

See the response above. Nintendo of America excluded Nintendo handhelds to celebrate Switch as #1.

I don't know which consoles have Switch beaten in Germany. Could be Nintendo handhelds, PlayStation home consoles or even both.

No, my point is, Nintendo would hold the record for handhelds already so they've got one of the records locked down. Either way, they hold a record there. If Switch is considered a home console too, then that would be two records in total.

Around the Network

I guess it finally reached that cliff everyone was talking about, and can start falling off

Darwinianevolution said:
It's a good sign the Switch is selling so well in Europe, even with the PS4 dominating that region. By the way, how much did the DS sell over there during its first year?

I'd say it's a really, really good sign.
In terms of home consoles, Europe has been on par with Japan or lower.

If Switch can help strengthen Nintendo's position in Europe that will be a victory on it's own!

switch kicking butt left and right

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Klasse! Super toll! Geil!

RolStoppable said:
Mar1217 said:
Or we could just be happy that Switch keeps selling so well that it keeps pilling up some good records ?

Switch sells so well that we don't need alternative facts to make it look good. The thread title should be edited to reflect the content of the announcement. That is, "sets new record for Nintendo home consoles."

The title is sufficient. It gives the meat of the info and there's no need to make it longer.