By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch sales surpasses 650,000 units in Germany, sets new record

RolStoppable said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

No, my point is, Nintendo would hold the record for handhelds already so they've got one of the records locked down. Either way, they hold a record there. If Switch is considered a home console too, then that would be two records in total.

I guess you don't understand PR spin. Nintendo held the record for best-selling Nintendo home console before Switch already, so Switch didn't add any new feather to Nintendo's cap in that regard.

If Switch were the best-selling Nintendo console overall, then the PR would have used that, because that sounds better than limiting a record to home consoles.

That somewhat makes sense, however there are people out there that call all video game systems home consoles lol. Kind of like all portables are gameboys.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
Or we could just be happy that Switch keeps selling so well that it keeps pilling up some good records ?

Well, the sales are only important really in that they increase the likelihood of more games and support, they're not really a primary importance in and of themselves (at least in my opinion from the consumer standpoint, I think that most people buy a game based off of its games rather than strictly because of its sales).

LipeJJ said:
quickrick said:

1 year. btw our bet looks like it's not allowed.

I see. We should change the terms then. What do you think?

RolStoppable said:

First birthday, so the week ending March 4th or 5th. Whichever day of the week GfK uses as their cutoff.

Got it, thanks.

I have a few bets going on, so i'm not sure what else i have available. 

quickrick said:
LipeJJ said:

I see. We should change the terms then. What do you think?

Got it, thanks.

Do your bets overlap with each other?

Last edited by VGPolyglot - on 13 March 2018

Germany sales figures for year 1 - Switch is Nintendo’s fastest selling for all categories and #2 overall:

1. PS4 - Over 1 million
  2. Switch - ~650,000
  3. Wii - 629,324
  4. 3DS - ~480,000
  5. DS: - ~350,00
  6. PS3 - 318,459
  7. X360 - 185,152
  8. PSP - ~150,000

There was no such thing as a fast selling video game console (handheld or otherwise) in Germany prior to the Wii. It would not surprise me if both PSX and PS2 sold under 150,000 year 1. I can vividly recall the Wii being the first console people went crazy over as well (I was in my mid-20s at the time). I also remember PS2 not really being something many people had until GTA Vice City; again, anecdotal. Still, I doubt either GBA or PS2 came anywhere near Wii year 1 sales. GTA 3 has a reputation for being a dangerous game, but Vice City with its style was more attractive, and maintained the dangerous reputation, but not the stigma (which might have actually held GTA3 back at first, but helped it and the franchise in the long run; and I believe this sentiment was fairly worldwide).

Sales as of 2005:

PS2 - ~3.3 million by 2005
GBA - ~2.5 million by 2005

All sales from Statisa and GfK.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 13 March 2018

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
quickrick said:

i have to remember who i made bets with, i think it's only rying and some guy named MOMBO

quickrick said:
VGPolyglot said:

i have to remember who i made bets with, i think it's only rying and some guy named MOMBO

I meant, if you lose both bets can you honour them?

VGPolyglot said:
quickrick said:

I meant, if you lose both bets can you honour them?

yea, but one might have to wait for month or 2 but i intend to honour them.

Woah, those are some great sales. Being the second highest selling console when speaking in terms of launch year is quite a great achievement, especially in a territory dominated by Playstation.

Unfortunately, as we all already know, the cliff is coming up. Switch is doomed for failure.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

PwerlvlAmy said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Switch murders the butt confirmed?

we need to save all the butts in the world from Nintendo

Yes, even Mario is no longer a plumber. Nintendo's butt hatred knows no bounds.