By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Odyssey VS. Other 3D Marios

Mario Odyssey will be the bestselling 3D-Mario ever, for sure.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:

I agree!

CaptainExplosion said:
flashfire926 said:

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but even after all these years, none of them have exceeded the lifetime sales Super Mario 64 had.

None of them came close to Odyssey in the time frame, either.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

CaptainExplosion said:
flashfire926 said:

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but even after all these years, none of them have exceeded the lifetime sales Super Mario 64 had.

Its not enthusiasm, its the truth. Nintendo games have long legs, and Odyssey can sell 4 million this year alone. If not, than it will pass it next year. It will happen happen for sure, the only question is when.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

CaptainExplosion said:
palou said:

None of them came close to Odyssey in the time frame, either.

Yes, I should've considered that earlier.

Helps that it's essentially bringing back 3D platformers in the 2010s, even more than Crash Bandicoot: N-Sane Trilogy did.

Particularly, Mario Galaxy was still *behind* Odyssey after its *second* holiday season. These games have legs, and we should expect the same from Odyssey. 

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Around the Network

Galaxy is in first. It sold 12.76 million.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/wii.html

Anyway, Odyssey will take first place soon. Odyssey shipped 9.07 million in its first two months, while Galaxy only shipped 6.10 million in its first four and a half months, and Galaxy had the advantage of Wii's larger install base at the time.

EDIT: In fact, Galaxy hadn't even reached 9.07 million as of March 2010, 28.5 months after it launched. Odyssey has this in the bag.

Last edited by StarDoor - on 10 March 2018

its gonna beat out Mario 64 this year imo

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

CaptainExplosion said:
flashfire926 said:

Odyssey did 9.1m in 2 months. Sales will slow down considerately, but it will come out as the top 3D Mario seller this year easily. Nintendo's Q1 sales report will give us a good notion of when exactly that will happen.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Lol, Odyssey will beat the two 64 editions combined. You might be able to add 3D World as well.

Mario galaxy is number one, it has officially shipped 12.75m compared to 11.89 for 64. It's silly to use vgchartz numbers instead of official sales when a game is no longer on the market.