By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Odyssey VS. Other 3D Marios

Considering the sales Mario Odyssey has in only a few months, it's likely to become the new best selling 3D Mario game.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
Lol, Odyssey will beat the two 64 editions combined. You might be able to add 3D World as well.

...don't you think Odyssey selling over 22 million (including digital sales) is a bit of a stretch?

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

It will end up selling more than any other Mario 3D game because of the time it was released and the state of the industry. I have no doubt about that.

TheWPCTraveler said:
Teeqoz said:
Lol, Odyssey will beat the two 64 editions combined. You might be able to add 3D World as well.

...don't you think Odyssey selling over 22 million (including digital sales) is a bit of a stretch?

Tbh it moved over 9m units by the end of 2017 (two months essentially) and we're only just entering the Switch's second year, SMO along with Zelda are the de facto flagship titles to get when you buy the Switch so I can see it hitting 20m+ lt as well.

Also factor in that this is the unified userbase now so a higher sales potential is in play.

AlfredoTurkey said:
It will end up selling more than any other Mario 3D game because of the time it was released and the state of the industry. I have no doubt about that.

Didn't hurt that it was the true Mario 64 successor fans had been clamoring for since the 1990s and the ambitious, epic HD entry that so many wanted but didn't get from 3D World. The pent up demand was practically volcanic.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Didn't hurt that it was the true Mario 64 successor fans had been clamoring for since the 1990s and the ambitious, epic HD entry that so many wanted but didn't get from 3D World. The pent up demand was practically volcanic.

There are a lot of reasons for it selling like it is. It's pretty much the perfect storm at the perfect time. The planets were aliened etc. etc.

I'm usually pessimistic, but I think Odyssey will exceed 12M LT

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

CaptainExplosion said:
flashfire926 said:
Mario Odyssey will be the bestselling 3D-Mario ever, for sure.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but even after all these years, none of them have exceeded the lifetime sales Super Mario 64 had.

Actualy Galaxy is best selling 3D Mario game with 12.76m, and Odyssey is selling faster than Galaxy and most likly it will outsell Galaxy without problems, I mean Mario Odyssey was at 9m at 31. December.

CaptainExplosion said:

I've been looking at the lifetime sales of all other 3D Mario games, and compared them to how Mario Odyssey is doing so far.

Super Mario 64: 11.89 million (First)

Super Mario Sunshine: 6.31 million (Seventh)

Super Mario 64 DS: 10.32 million (Fourth)

Super Mario Galaxy: 11.39 million (Second)

Super Mario Galaxy 2: 7.57 million (Sixth)

Super Mario 3D Land: 11.19 million (Third)

Super Mario 3D World: 4.97 million (Eighth)

Super Mario Odyssey: 7.99 million (Fifth, so far)

What position on there do you think Mario Odyssey will be lifetime? Might at least be second or third in the end, if it keeps selling at the rate it has been. :)

Ummm, is that a serious prediction?? Mario Odyssey will obviously be the best selling 3D Mario game by many millions. It very well could pass Mario 64 by the end of 2018. You think it'd only gonna sell another 3.5 million copies after its only been out for a few months?? Strange prediction. Mario Odyssey will sell no less than 15 million.

TheWPCTraveler said:
Teeqoz said:

Nope, not really. It's already at over 9 million, and it's the title to pick up when you buy a switch (even moreso than BOTW).