By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Odyssey VS. Other 3D Marios

Galaxy is in first. It sold 12.76 million.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/wii.html

Anyway, Odyssey will take first place soon. Odyssey shipped 9.07 million in its first two months, while Galaxy only shipped 6.10 million in its first four and a half months, and Galaxy had the advantage of Wii's larger install base at the time.

EDIT: In fact, Galaxy hadn't even reached 9.07 million as of March 2010, 28.5 months after it launched. Odyssey has this in the bag.

Last edited by StarDoor - on 10 March 2018

Around the Network

its gonna beat out Mario 64 this year imo

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

CaptainExplosion said:
flashfire926 said:
Mario Odyssey will be the bestselling 3D-Mario ever, for sure.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but even after all these years, none of them have exceeded the lifetime sales Super Mario 64 had.

Odyssey did 9.1m in 2 months. Sales will slow down considerately, but it will come out as the top 3D Mario seller this year easily. Nintendo's Q1 sales report will give us a good notion of when exactly that will happen.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Lol, Odyssey will beat the two 64 editions combined. You might be able to add 3D World as well.

Mario galaxy is number one, it has officially shipped 12.75m compared to 11.89 for 64. It's silly to use vgchartz numbers instead of official sales when a game is no longer on the market.

Around the Network

Considering the sales Mario Odyssey has in only a few months, it's likely to become the new best selling 3D Mario game.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Odyssey is well ahead of where any of the top 3 were at the same point in their lives. It could easily top 15 million lifetime.

http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/game_comparison.php?reg=Global&ending=Cumulative&game%5B%5D=Super+Mario+Galaxy+%28Wii%29+%5B6963%5D&game%5B%5D=Super+Mario+Odyssey+%28NS%29+%5B152831%5D&game%5B%5D=Super+Mario+3D+Land+%283DS%29+%5B50395%5D&game%5B%5D=

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Teeqoz said:
Lol, Odyssey will beat the two 64 editions combined. You might be able to add 3D World as well.

...don't you think Odyssey selling over 22 million (including digital sales) is a bit of a stretch?

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

It will end up selling more than any other Mario 3D game because of the time it was released and the state of the industry. I have no doubt about that.

TheWPCTraveler said:
Teeqoz said:

...don't you think Odyssey selling over 22 million (including digital sales) is a bit of a stretch?

Tbh it moved over 9m units by the end of 2017 (two months essentially) and we're only just entering the Switch's second year, SMO along with Zelda are the de facto flagship titles to get when you buy the Switch so I can see it hitting 20m+ lt as well.

Also factor in that this is the unified userbase now so a higher sales potential is in play.