By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Odyssey VS. Other 3D Marios

Mario Odyssey is 100% going to be the best selling 3D Mario.

The real question is by how much, I'm seriously wondering if this could reach 20 million, you never know.

Around the Network

I was surprised to hear at the earnings report that the game sold around 9 millions in a couple of months. My expectations were around 5-6m.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Given that it is already at 9 million I think 20 million is guaranteed. 25 million is the real question. I think it'll probably creep up to 25 million around the end of Switch's lifecycle.

SMO will be number one by year's end

Switch!!!

I don’t get the hype of odyssey. I finished it but it was so linear, felt like I was waiting for something great to happen. It never did. Give me mario 64 any day.

Around the Network

Odyssey has definitely been my most favorite 3D Mario game. Hopefully it'll end up the king of 3D Mario's in sales at the end.

Number one i believe.

I wish I could have got into it more. I played Galaxy 1 and 2 around the time I got it, and rather than getting me in the mood for Mario Odyssey, they actually served to make me feel a little underwhelmed. The experience isn’t as grand, varied, or as interesting as the Galaxy games IMO; the level design is a step down from the Galaxy games. Another issue is the size of the game, it is smaller and shorter than the Galaxy titles; difficulty is substantially less; a big and it is not nearly as rewarding. It’s closest to Mario Galaxy in how it feels but, despite the new features, still comes off as a reduced experience; like the Mario team is still holding back.

Its popularity is largely due to the fact that it’s the first true 3D Mario game in 7 years. I am not saying there’s no room for a 3D Land-type, only that they are a different experience..

Some of the new features are interesting, and it is still a very good game; but IMO it’s not quite the 3D Mario successor I was looking for.

In terms of sales, those numbers are off. Nintendo says Galaxy is the highest selling 3D Mario game. Odyssey is the fastest, though. This is a trend we’ve been seeing in multiple franchises on Switch.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 18 March 2018

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

So far it's sitting at 8.11 million, meaning in the next few weeks it should pass Super Mario 64 DS.

I predict it will be #1 by the end.