By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Difference between Switch and the other platforms...

Do you prefer short or long time between announcement and release?

I hate waiting and want t... 13 38.24%

I need a long preparation... 3 8.82%

It depends on the game. 8 23.53%

It doesn't matter for me. 5 14.71%

I play games years after release in any case. 5 14.71%

Total:34
Jumpin said:
Honestly, I like a mix.
I generally don’t like long waits, but at the same time I love having something huge to look forward to down the road. Although, maybe 3-3.5 years maximum wait. I hate the ridiculous 5-7+ year waits for certain Square games.

Breath of the Wild is a good example of a game I enjoyed waiting for, and having the different events leading up to it. E3 2016 was a lot of fun, and it didn’t feel too long until I got to play the game after.

Well, Breath of the Wild was announced years ago. But as a WiiU-game. Nintendo was really extreme with WiiU in the other direction, announced stuff that was years from finishing. With Switch they completely changed their strategy.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Long announcements are cool because you can plan accordingly. I'm not a big fan of short time announcements. Good thing it doesn't happen on the platforms I care about. And the games I care about are usually announced more than a year in advance.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Much easier than a 4k port. Which works well for the switch and I like the quick releases after the announcement.

I don't game on a nintendo platform. at least not in a long time I had an NES emulator console that played NES cartridges long time ago and it was fun for what it was.

but we all want games within a year after announcement.

They've been doing this for a while, even with the 3DS with Majora's Mask 3D for example

I do like surprise announcements, but having more notice is good too so I can plan out things. Really depends on the game

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

The first game I recall being announced and released quickly as a deliberate sales strategy was Diddy Kong Racing.

At the time, Rare was essentially tied with Square as the most popular third/second party company. I think it was n64.com (or IGN64.com at that point) posted an article about Rare making a racer, and it was almost done. Speculation was that it was going to be a full 3D “RC Pro-Am” or something a lot more serious.

It was about a month or two before launch that Diddy Kong Racing was officially announced, and it got A TON of fast hype, and became the highest selling week 1 sales for any game in history to that point according to the Guinness Book of Records.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

WiiU was noisy.
Switch is quiet.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
WiiU was noisy.
Switch is quiet.

Haha, so true.

Also, Wii U would heat up like an oven, while Switch on rare occasions gets a little warm (presumably the battery)

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

It's fantastic! Released and old content take less time between announcement and release than it does in other platforms, where the game comes out originally, and is announced mid development. I wonder what PS4 and XB1 owners can do... Ohh wait, actually play the games right now

Yeah announcing a game years ahead of time is a terrible strategy, it just makes people mad and if the game doesn't live up to the years of building hype then it becomes a huge fail. A couple people on here said they like long waiting periods because they like to plan ahead...uhhh do you seriously need a 2 or 3 years to plan to save $60 for a game?? lol

I think for most games announcing 6 months ahead of time is perfect. For major franchises a teaser trailer 9-12 months out, followed by a real trailer and game details at 6 months out to start that 6 month hype phase seems about right. Games should never be announced more than a year out.