By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bold Predition Achieved: Zelda has outsold Mario! (BotW vs. Odyssey)

Tagged games:

mZuzek said:
IkePoR said:

?

The OP was predicting BotW was gonna outsell Odyssey, you say "yeah maybe, but Mario is much bigger". What does that have to do with anything?

It'd be like me saying, for lack of a better example, "I predict Liverpool will beat Real Madrid in the UCL final", then someone saying "yeah maybe, but Real Madrid is a brand with much more worldwide appeal and mainstream knowledge and would still have twice as many UCL titles as Liverpool" or whatever. It's got nothing to do with the prediction itself.

If you don't see what I'm saying, that's your problem.  

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Around the Network

Since Nintendo gave us the numbers for the end of their fiscal year, I figured I'd see how things are progressing compared to last year.  As always I'm adding in 1.5m to Breath of the Wild sales since that was the last number I've seen for Wii U sales.

Mar 31, 2018 report Mar 31, 2019 report
Mario Odyssey 10.41m 14.44m
Breath of the Wild 9.98m 14.27m
difference 0.43m 0.17m

As of Nintendo's latest fiscal report, Mario Odyssey's total sales are still ahead by 0.17m.  However it is also clear that Breath of the Wild is gaining ground compared to last year.

As I've been saying since this thread began, this is like the race between the tortoise and the hare.  Mario Odyssey raced ahead of Zelda at first, but gradually Zelda is gaining ground.  It just has stronger legs.  If this pace continues then Zelda should pass Mario by this time next year.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Since Nintendo gave us the numbers for the end of their fiscal year, I figured I'd see how things are progressing compared to last year.  As always I'm adding in 1.5m to Breath of the Wild sales since that was the last number I've seen for Wii U sales.

difference 0.43m 0.17m

As of Nintendo's latest fiscal report, Mario Odyssey's total sales are still ahead by 0.17m.  However it is also clear that Breath of the Wild is gaining ground compared to last year.

As I've been saying since this thread began, this is like the race between the tortoise and the hare.  Mario Odyssey raced ahead of Zelda at first, but gradually Zelda is gaining ground.  It just has stronger legs.  If this pace continues then Zelda should pass Mario by this time next year.

I'm wondering if Links Awakening will weaken BotW's ability to overcome Odyssey? Either way it's crazy that it's this close!

Edit: how do I quote/reply to someone on the phone? This is so much different than it used to be...

Dulfite said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

difference 0.43m 0.17m

I'm wondering if Links Awakening will weaken BotW's ability to overcome Odyssey? Either way it's crazy that it's this close!

Edit: how do I quote/reply to someone on the phone? This is so much different than it used to be...

That is a good question.  It does seem that the recent 2D Mario may have eaten away at the legs of Odyssey.  Not sure if Link's Awakening will have a similar effect or not.  My gut is that it won't, but we won't really know until this time next year.

Definitely rooting for BOTW to overtake Odyssey

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Dulfite said:

That is a good question.  It does seem that the recent 2D Mario may have eaten away at the legs of Odyssey.  Not sure if Link's Awakening will have a similar effect or not.  My gut is that it won't, but we won't really know until this time next year.

I think that Mario games have less of a tendency to eat each other, as people just expect Mario to be in everything despite being very different games. Zelda, on the other hand, I think is more susceptible to cannibalism. I could be wrong, and I don't necessarily have data to support that belief, but it's just what my gut says. That being said, I'm the guy that Nintendo loves (the one who buys practically all first-party titles).

The prediction has been fulfilled!  

I originally predicted Breath of the Wild (Switch + Wii U combined) would outsell Super Mario Odyssey.  Last Wii U sales figures reported were 1.5m for Zelda: BotW.  Adding this to the Switch totals yields the table below.

BotW vs. Odyssey sales (in millions)

3/31/2018 3/31/2019 6/30/2019
Mario Odyssey 10.41 14.44 14.94
Breath of the Wild 9.98 14.27 15.11
Zelda lead -0.43 -0.17 0.17

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (combined) has outsold Super Mario Odyssey as of June 30, 2019!

This actually happened even faster than I thought.  Zelda has some amazing legs.  I guess now I'll have to keep watching to see if the Switch only version of Zelda can outsell Odyssey on its own.  Breath of the Wild really is an amazing game.

Really amazing. Just utterly amazing to see a Zelda game selling so much, it has now doubled what Ocarina made back in the day.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

The_Liquid_Laser said:

The prediction has been fulfilled!  

I originally predicted Breath of the Wild (Switch + Wii U combined) would outsell Super Mario Odyssey.  Last Wii U sales figures reported were 1.5m for Zelda: BotW.  Adding this to the Switch totals yields the table below.

BotW vs. Odyssey sales (in millions)

3/31/2018 3/31/2019 6/30/2019
Mario Odyssey 10.41 14.44 14.94
Breath of the Wild 9.98 14.27 15.11
Zelda lead -0.43 -0.17 0.17

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (combined) has outsold Super Mario Odyssey as of June 30, 2019!

This actually happened even faster than I thought.  Zelda has some amazing legs.  I guess now I'll have to keep watching to see if the Switch only version of Zelda can outsell Odyssey on its own.  Breath of the Wild really is an amazing game.

WiiU total is at least 2m because VGC last reported 1.5m but we know from the Japanese sales threads that at least another 500k was sold after that before it stopped charting.

Well, the crow population will nosedive today it seems when looking back at all the naysayers.

Now we'll have to see if it can also do so on just the Switch.