By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Bros coming to Switch in 2018

MTZehvor said:
SKMBlake said:

This logo has more in common with the Super Smash Bros Brawl logo than the Wii U logo. Unless it's a Brawl port, it's definitely a new game.

I'd disagree. The font is quite clearly the one used in for Smash 4. Brawl's logo lacks the downward curve on the "Smash" part of the logo that Smash 4's has, and the bottom letters again lack the same angle.

See how Smash 4's is much more curved?

Now compare that to this:

The font is MUCH more similar to Smash 4's than Brawl's; it's just a minimalist version. The only thing that makes it more "Brawl" like is the way the "o" is shaped.

It's the same font used in both versions (Brawl or Wii U). I'm a graphic designer so I can clearly spot the differences. Same font for the Wii and the Wii U version, the only difference is that it's stretched horizontally in the Wii U version, but it's more close to the Brawl logo than the Wii U logo. And the O of Bros is shaped like the Brawl logo.

It doesn't matter if you agree or not, it's just not the same logo.

Around the Network
MTZehvor said:

Yes, I very clearly stated in my post that it does not take the whole studio to create DLC. I never said it wasn't; we're not in disagreement there. What I said is that it would make the initial phase of development for Smash 5 limited, as you would have, at the very least, Sakurai and many of the other Smash leads involved with Bandai Namco. My point is simply that the studio would not have, as you said, a full four years to develop an entirely new game. They would have one and a half full years, and then two years with key staff pulled away. That isn't something Smash has done recently. Yes, other studios, like Monolith, have been able to do it for other games. It probably would be possible, even if you ignore Sakurai's reluctance to keep working on Smash after he finished 4. But the point is that it doesn't fit Nintendo's recent history; not that it's impossible. No one can prove an impossibility, but I can demonstrate that it's unlikely given the approach that Nintendo's taken in the past.

Mario also doesn't tend to rely on having a lot of time to advertise different characters, like Smash and other fighting games do. Even then, SMO was at the very least teased in October of 2016, giving itself a full year to build hype. And that's for a game that only really needs to advertise Mario; Smash has many more characters to get to, at least assuming there's a sizable number of newcomers like there are for most games.

Again that part of your argument was countered by the XBC2 example a number of the key staff didn't join up initially because a large portion of work was not required and in case you haven't notice the last few years have deviated from Nintendo's recent history.

Smash doesn't need to advertise different character the name advertises itself at this point this is backed up by the fact the announcement was all over the internet, hype is not dictated by a minimum time period.

Looks like the original games logo

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

CrowRSchneider said:
If new, it's gonna be delayed.

If Smash is Nintendos big title for Oct/Nov. I don't see that happening. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

HyrulianScrolls said:
If dev started in early 2016, then that's not even a "short" dev time anyways. It would be nearly 3 years of development by the time it comes out.

And it’s not like a short development time is unprecedented. Remember, Sakurai finished Melee in a whopping 13 months, no holidays or short weekends. Of course, for his sake, I hope he won’t do that again, but it shows his workhorse mentality and wanting to provide the best product possible. I think he took a short break and continued onto the new project as tracked and translated by Source Gaming, which is mainly a site that tracks Super Smash Bros. development and Sakurai’s famitsu articles, as well as other Nintendo-related content.

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
HyrulianScrolls said:
If dev started in early 2016, then that's not even a "short" dev time anyways. It would be nearly 3 years of development by the time it comes out.

And it’s not like a short development time is unprecedented. Remember, Sakurai finished Melee in a whopping 13 months, no holidays or short weekends. Of course, for his sake, I hope he won’t do that again, but it shows his workhorse mentality and wanting to provide the best product possible. I think he took a short break and continued onto the new project as tracked and translated by Source Gaming, which is mainly a site that tracks Super Smash Bros. development and Sakurai’s famitsu articles, as well as other Nintendo-related content.

Three years would be considered a long time for a smash game to be in development. Melee was ridiculously short. Brawl took just over 2 years to make. 3ds/wiiu took around 2.5 years to make. Over 3 years would be long for this series.

SKMBlake said:
MTZehvor said:

I'd disagree. The font is quite clearly the one used in for Smash 4. Brawl's logo lacks the downward curve on the "Smash" part of the logo that Smash 4's has, and the bottom letters again lack the same angle.

See how Smash 4's is much more curved?

Now compare that to this:

The font is MUCH more similar to Smash 4's than Brawl's; it's just a minimalist version. The only thing that makes it more "Brawl" like is the way the "o" is shaped.

It's the same font used in both versions (Brawl or Wii U). I'm a graphic designer so I can clearly spot the differences. Same font for the Wii and the Wii U version, the only difference is that it's stretched horizontally in the Wii U version, but it's more close to the Brawl logo than the Wii U logo. And the O of Bros is shaped like the Brawl logo.

It doesn't matter if you agree or not, it's just not the same logo.

I never claimed it was the same logo, just that the wordmark has more similarities to the Wii U than the Brawl one. Regardless of whether that's due to a different font or stretching the same font in different places, my point is that it's not a drastically different logo.

And besides, whether it's based more heavily off the Brawl or Wii U logo is pretty irrelevant regardless. A slightly altered logo does not a new game make; see Hyrule Warriors Wii U to Hyrule Warriors Legends.

MTZehvor said:

And besides, whether it's based more heavily off the Brawl or Wii U logo is pretty irrelevant regardless. 

Your whole point about the logo was that it's the same logo as the Wii U one, so I don't understand why suddenly it's irrelevant.

And indeed, an altered logo doesn't make it a new game. But when the developper clearly stated that he's working on the game everyday but can't say too much about it yet, even its name, it does make it a new game. And also Nintendo never teased a port like that, regardless of the game. All Wii U ports were clearly shown as ports, so there is absolutely no reason to change that for one specific game.

Wyrdness said:
MTZehvor said:

Yes, I very clearly stated in my post that it does not take the whole studio to create DLC. I never said it wasn't; we're not in disagreement there. What I said is that it would make the initial phase of development for Smash 5 limited, as you would have, at the very least, Sakurai and many of the other Smash leads involved with Bandai Namco. My point is simply that the studio would not have, as you said, a full four years to develop an entirely new game. They would have one and a half full years, and then two years with key staff pulled away. That isn't something Smash has done recently. Yes, other studios, like Monolith, have been able to do it for other games. It probably would be possible, even if you ignore Sakurai's reluctance to keep working on Smash after he finished 4. But the point is that it doesn't fit Nintendo's recent history; not that it's impossible. No one can prove an impossibility, but I can demonstrate that it's unlikely given the approach that Nintendo's taken in the past.

Mario also doesn't tend to rely on having a lot of time to advertise different characters, like Smash and other fighting games do. Even then, SMO was at the very least teased in October of 2016, giving itself a full year to build hype. And that's for a game that only really needs to advertise Mario; Smash has many more characters to get to, at least assuming there's a sizable number of newcomers like there are for most games.

Again that part of your argument was countered by the XBC2 example a number of the key staff didn't join up initially because a large portion of work was not required and in case you haven't notice the last few years have deviated from Nintendo's recent history.

Smash doesn't need to advertise different character the name advertises itself at this point this is backed up by the fact the announcement was all over the internet, hype is not dictated by a minimum time period.

And again, the instance of a single counter example in a totally different game genre does not precedent set. Just because it can be done does not mean that Nintendo would be likely to pursue that same philosophy for every game. If a game tends to follow a certain precedent for a game series, that precedent is usually a much better indicator of what will happen rather than how some other totally unrelated company making a game in a different genre approached development.

As for Nintendo's history being deviated from, I'd invite you to take a look at dev time cycles for Nintendo's major games since the Gamecube era even in this age of change. Take Zelda, for instance, which had a similar dev cycle for BotW. Or Fire Emblem which, provided FE 16 still comes out this year, will have roughly the same or longer dev cycle as Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates. Or Metroid, which has kept a similar dev cycle time of around 2-3 years for games since the GBA era up to last year's Samus Returns. So yeah, Nintendo's changed the way they approach things recently, especially marketing, but there's no indication that applies to development time.

And I mean sure, it doesn't need to advertise different characters, but it certainly benefits. Nintendo didn't spend money on a bunch of character trailers for Brawl and Smash 4 just because they wanted to give their animation team some practice; they did it because it generates excitement for a new game. If they got the same benefit from just announcing a new Smash game as they did designing a bunch of trailers and marketing material, they would just say "hey guys Smash is coming" and not even bother making any trailers at all. The existence of the Inklings in the latest trailer proves, however, that Nintendo is aware that announcing new characters contributes to building hype, and as such is a worthwhile investment.

SKMBlake said:
MTZehvor said:

And besides, whether it's based more heavily off the Brawl or Wii U logo is pretty irrelevant regardless. 

Your whole point about the logo was that it's the same logo as the Wii U one, so I don't understand why suddenly it's irrelevant.

And indeed, an altered logo doesn't make it a new game. But when the developper clearly stated that he's working on the game everyday but can't say too much about it yet, even its name, it does make it a new game. And also Nintendo never teased a port like that, regardless of the game. All Wii U ports were clearly shown as ports, so there is absolutely no reason to change that for one specific game.

The entire logo point was initially made in response to someone saying that it was a new logo and therefore confirmed a new game. My response was that it wasn't an entirely new logo, just a modified version of the Wii U one, and shouldn't be taken as a significant indicator as such. I don't think I've ever argued that the logo suggests a port, because plenty of sequels have reused wordmarks from previous games.

I disagree with the second point; I think it's highly possible that an updated version of Smash 4 with a sizable amount of new content could very well be held under wraps for that reason, especially if it's going to be Nintendo's biggest hitter this year while we wait for Pokemon and Metroid Prime 4.