By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Bros coming to Switch in 2018

Wyrdness said:
MTZehvor said:

Several reasons.

First, it's not really four years. Smash 4 was still being worked on with DLC up until 2016, and while in this hypothetical scenario they could have split the dev team between working on a new game and DLC, it'd still be a limited effort for the first two years.

Second, Masahiro Sakurai was so exhausted at the end of Smash 4 development that he quite literally said he was considering quitting video game development. Either Nintendo would have had to somehow convince him to come back basically immediately after that and make anew Smash game, or basically immediately find a new director who could somehow have a new game out within two years of the last one being supported.

Finally and somewhat unrelated to development, this kind of approach to marketing really just doesn't make sense for Smash. Smash, like most fighting games, tends to use a long lead-in period before release to build up hype with new character announcements and trailers. A game scheduled for 2018 would have a grand total of eight or so months to build up hype, and I can't imagine Nintendo shorting such a big hitter with that little marketing time.

Go and read Sakurai's recent tweet and his last statement about when he was taking a break, back in 2016 he said his next project was already decided as he was returning and his recent tweet he says he's been working on the game everyday, nothing you've said here debunks what I posted as when this game releases later this year it would be near enough 4 years which with an engine already available is more than enough time. As I said XBC2 with the same engine as XBX was made with half the team in 3 years so the same is possible with Smash, DLC doesn't require the whole studio.

Your comment about marketing doesn't make much sense tbh because the whole marketing for the Switch has been different and it's been for the better Smash is a big enough title it doesn't need years to hype up it's the biggest fighting game franchise around.

First, I quite literally addressed what you said the very first point of my post. Developing DLC on the scale that Smash 4 had does take resources, so at best you're getting a year and a half + two sorta kinda years. This would be a dev cycle much shorter than anything seen for the series since Melee, and while I'll freely admit it doesn't rule it out as a possibility, it makes me highly skeptical.

Second, Sakurai jumping back in essentially as soon as Smash 4 DLC was done is something else that points to this either being a port or an expansion of some sort, kind of like UMvC3 or Ultra Street Fighter IV. It would be much easier to get someone to agree to work on bringing over a pre-existing game rather than starting anew because it's far less work. Developing a new engine isn't really much of the challenge behind making Smash games anyway, as they've all used essentially the same engine with minor tweaks.

Finally, the marketing point is just silly. Just because it's on a different console doesn't mean you throw out the rules of successful marketing. Video games of comparable size or bigger than Smash in terms of sales announce themselves at least a year before their release; Zelda, GTA, RDR, Elder Scrolls, etc. In fact, basically the only games with similar or larger sales numbers that don't do that are annual releases, and that's an issue of "can't" rather than "won't." This is all done because it's beneficial for marketing, which in turn improves sales, and that doesn't change whether you're selling a game on the Switch, PS4, or a smoothie maker.

Around the Network
uran10 said:
KungKras said:
Please let it be a new game.

That plays like melee but with more characters.

No. No one wants melee HD. Smash 4 was the perfect smash game in terms of gameplay, the closer it is to smash 4 the better.

I mean, I like Smash 4, but Melee is leagues ahead of it.

If they release a Smash thats close to Melee or even just Melee HD, I can die happy. Chances of that are very low unfortunately, so I guess its gonna be Melee + this new Smash for me.

routsounmanman said:
It's almost certainly a new game, even if that means using the same engine as the WiiU version. Remember people, they previously worked on 2 incompatible platforms one the same time, thus the development dragged for so long.

Evidence pointing to a new Smash game:

+ New Logo
+ Copyright at the end of the reveal video
+ The video itself (I mean a high quality CGI for a port?)
+ A unified platform means that games ought to be coming sooner than what we're used to
+ BOTW Link
+ They believe they can sell 20m Switches this year. Either Pokemon is coming late 2018 (unlikely) or this is a brand new Smash game

-The logo is quite literally just the Wii U/3DS logo with a slight alteration to the shape of the Smash logo used for the "o" in Bros. It even has the same curve on the "Smash Bros." part of the logo.

-Copyright is meaningless, same copyright was used in past Wii U trailers.

-Not as uncommon as you might think.

-Smash 4's dev time was similar to Brawl's while on 3DS and Wii U, so I'm not convinced that's the case.

-Very easily just a skin to market the game as having a suddenly popular version of Link.

-All the more reason to not immediately announce it as a port.

Shaqazooloo0 said:
uran10 said:

No. No one wants melee HD. Smash 4 was the perfect smash game in terms of gameplay, the closer it is to smash 4 the better.

I mean, I like Smash 4, but Melee is leagues ahead of it.

If they release a Smash thats close to Melee or even just Melee HD, I can die happy. Chances of that are very low unfortunately, so I guess its gonna be Melee + this new Smash for me.

Exploits the game is not better than smash 4 imo. Smash 4 is how it was intended, melee is literally a bunch of exploits for it to be as "competitive" as it is. And I don't feel like getting carpal tunnel from smash.

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

MTZehvor said:
routsounmanman said:
It's almost certainly a new game, even if that means using the same engine as the WiiU version. Remember people, they previously worked on 2 incompatible platforms one the same time, thus the development dragged for so long.

Evidence pointing to a new Smash game:

+ New Logo
+ Copyright at the end of the reveal video
+ The video itself (I mean a high quality CGI for a port?)
+ A unified platform means that games ought to be coming sooner than what we're used to
+ BOTW Link
+ They believe they can sell 20m Switches this year. Either Pokemon is coming late 2018 (unlikely) or this is a brand new Smash game

-The logo is quite literally just the Wii U/3DS logo with a slight alteration to the shape of the Smash logo used for the "o" in Bros. It even has the same curve on the "Smash Bros." part of the logo.

-Copyright is meaningless, same copyright was used in past Wii U trailers.

-Not as uncommon as you might think.

-Smash 4's dev time was similar to Brawl's while on 3DS and Wii U, so I'm not convinced that's the case.

-Very easily just a skin to market the game as having a suddenly popular version of Link.

-All the more reason to not immediately announce it as a port.

What? You need to get your eyes checked :3

VS

Around the Network

I get the feeling its gonna be like Splatoon 2 which is pretty much the first one but just different enough which is fine by me but still kinda feels hollow for us who grabbed all the games on Wii U.

If new, it's gonna be delayed.

I know... my English sucks.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Ultrashroomz said:

This sums up pretty well all our discussions with MTZehvor

MTZehvor said:

This logo has more in common with the Super Smash Bros Brawl logo than the Wii U logo. Unless it's a Brawl port, it's definitely a new game.