By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Bros coming to Switch in 2018

Nautilus said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Sure if they immediately started on the new game, but they made dlc up until 2016. That's most likely why despite it having been the normal timeframe of 3 years between Mario Karts, we got MK8D instead of MK9. They might still be able to frame it as a sequel though if there's enough new content, but expect it to be clearly using Smash Wii U as a base, much like Splatoon 2 uses the original.

The DLC could have been very well been dealt with a small team of developers, freeying up other people to tackle it.As for why Mario kart 8 was chosen to be ported over something like Smash, I really dont know.Maybe they thought it had more potential, maybe the game could have pushed more Switches.But I dont think it matters now.

But as for why I think that this is Smash 5 is:The trailer felt like something new.The way they presented it, in contrast as to how Smash 4 was marketed was much diferent.But there are more solid proofs.In the video, the developers are listed as Nintendo and Hal.If this was a port of Smash 4, Bandai would have needed to be listed there.Plus I think that Nintendo would have wanted to announce this as a port to get this "Bad news" out of the way sooner, to focus on the positive later.

As for the development time, who knows.There are some examples of accelerated development time for sequels.XC 2 was done faster than X for several reasons already discussed.There is also the point to keep in mind that ever since the end of 2014, Nintendo already knew that the Wii U was a failure, and started pushing development of everything related to Switch.And when Kimishima took the job as president, being the business man he is, he must have given priority to the development of the Nintendo biggest IPs, which may explain a smaller development cycle.

And even if Smash 5 uses Smash 4 as a base, who cares?If it feels like a sequel, then it is a sequel.

OMG thank you! This is the most pointless debate now.

But obviously on internet people will be hating or dismissing this game bc of that, even with no evidence that this is actually happening.

We reap what we sow

Around the Network

It's almost certainly a new game, even if that means using the same engine as the WiiU version. Remember people, they previously worked on 2 incompatible platforms one the same time, thus the development dragged for so long.

Evidence pointing to a new Smash game:

+ New Logo
+ Copyright at the end of the reveal video
+ The video itself (I mean a high quality CGI for a port?)
+ A unified platform means that games ought to be coming sooner than what we're used to
+ BOTW Link
+ They believe they can sell 20m Switches this year. Either Pokemon is coming late 2018 (unlikely) or this is a brand new Smash game

RolStoppable said:
routsounmanman said:
It's almost certainly a new game, even if that means using the same engine as the WiiU version. Remember people, they previously worked on 2 incompatible platforms one the same time, thus the development dragged for so long.

Evidence pointing to a new Smash game:

+ New Logo
+ Copyright at the end of the reveal video
+ The video itself (I mean a high quality CGI for a port?)
+ A unified platform means that games ought to be coming sooner than what we're used to
+ BOTW Link
+ They believe they can sell 20m Switches this year. Either Pokemon is coming late 2018 (unlikely) or this is a brand new Smash game

Nintendo doesn't believe anything yet. Kimishima said in an interview that Nintendo hopes to sell 20m+ Switch consoles in the upcoming fiscal year, but that's not an official projection. It won't be until late April/early May that Nintendo provides their official forecast for the fiscal year ending March 2019.

Pokémon for Switch is currently listed as "2018 or later" in Nintendo's financial report, so that's basically a 50/50 chance for a 2018 release. Still, I'd expect the game to slip to 2019 considering how good Switch's momentum is and will continue to be. Nintendo can prioritize a strategic release schedule and doesn't have to rush out anything.

Well Kimishima is the big guy at Nintendo, so what he's "hoping" is rather based on well educated assumptions based on what he knows. The wording is probably him being a bit cautious and not wanting to make an official statement yet.

Besides, I much rather believe Sakurai can deliver a new Smash in ~4 years focused on one platform than Game Freak moving on to HD, new platform and probably reinventing the whole Pokemon formula in time for 2018.

Last edited by routsounmanman - on 09 March 2018

I would never have expected it, but all evidence besides the release date points to it being a new game.

There are a lot of assumptions here for a 20 second trailer that showed a logo and three characters. Have fun, I guess. ;)

Around the Network

Please let it be a new game.

That plays like melee but with more characters.

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:

No. No one wants melee HD. Smash 4 was the perfect smash game in terms of gameplay, the closer it is to smash 4 the better.

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

uran10 said:
KungKras said:

No. No one wants melee HD. Smash 4 was the perfect smash game in terms of gameplay, the closer it is to smash 4 the better.

No. Melee has the perfect gameplay and you're morally deplorable for not recognizing it :P

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
uran10 said:

No. Melee has the perfect gameplay and you're morally deplorable for not recognizing it :P

He's not wrong tbh I wouldn't mind some of Melee's tech but not Melee's overall gameplay as it only suited certain characters and certain styles of play.

StarOcean said:
Is it a port or a new Smash?

The way I see it, this is a new Smash for a few reasons.

Splatoon character are present here (not sure if they added them to the WiiU version) and BotW Link was featured.  Now some might argue that it could still be a port, but there is one more piece of evidence that makes me think otherwise...in fact it seals it for me until confirmed to be anything otherwise.

This game was revealed in a teaser, something they have never done with a port.  We also had teasers of Bayo 3, Metroid Prime 4, and Pokemon (kind of).  All three of these are new games.  There is no reason to think that this teaser is any different.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261