By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Bros coming to Switch in 2018

SKMBlake said:
MTZehvor said:

Second, Masahiro Sakurai was so exhausted at the end of Smash 4 development that he quite literally said he was considering quitting video game development. Either Nintendo would have had to somehow convince him to come back basically immediately after that and make anew Smash game, or basically immediately find a new director who could somehow have a new game out within two years of the last one being supported.

He just tweeted that he was working on the game every day 

Sure, but working on a port is a lot less taxing than working on a full new game.

Last edited by MTZehvor - on 08 March 2018

Around the Network
Volterra_90 said:
Well, I was on the "no way this is a new game" bandwagon, but I think everything seems to point out to a new Smash game.

I think the main argument for why it could be a port is because 4 Years gap is not enough. But there were lots of things shown in that trailer that hints it is a new game from what people have been said. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Lonely_Dolphin said:
It's releasing this year so it can only be a port, but as the Inklings show, it'll be an enhanced port, hopefully including all the content from the 3DS and Wii U versions and then some.

What are you talking about. They have the assets from the Wii U game and some stages already that will be coming back. Its been 4 years this can clearly be a new game .

And btw sakurai "confirmed" it was a new game. https://twitter.com/RobSnoow/status/971917921135071233?s=19

Guys : 

-New logo

-Sakurai confirms

-Nintendo hides title. Could have just said "for Switch" instead of building fake hype.

-Teaser looks totally different from what they had for Smash for wii U/3DS.

MTZehvor said:
SKMBlake said:

He just tweeted that he was working on the game every day 

He said a lot more than just that.

I'm relying more on what he said just after the announcement and not what he said 3 years earlier

To say it can only be a port was wrong on my part yes, but my second post already acknowledged that a sequel using Smash Wii U as a base is possible.

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
MTZehvor said:

He said a lot more than just that.

I'm relying more on what he said just after the announcement and not what he said 3 years earlier

Yeah, I didn't notice that he said that until after I posted.

I will say that I imagine working on a port is a lot less tiring than working on a brand new game, so it's probably a lot easier to get him back to help with that.

MTZehvor said:
tbone51 said:

Oh yes they can. SSB5 would be hyped to the max unlike the other games (ssbb and ssb4) with such little time it be new news way more frequent compared to that of a longer Wait.

SSBM didnt need to build all that hype, it came out what like 5 or 6 months after it was revealed

Sure, and it was also the worst selling Smash game besides the original over the first three and a half of its life (using the time frame that we have with Smash 4 up until now), and that separates Wii U and 3DS into different games. Say what you want about Nintendo and their questionable marketing tactics for other titles over the years, but they've established an extremely effective method for selling Smash, and it doesn't make much sense to just abandon it here.

I dont know what your trying to pull with sales but that is pointless. Smash on GCN is the best selling GCN game (that includes 3d mario/AC/Mario Kart/etc)

It selling under brawl (100mil user base vs 20mil) doesnt mean much. Anyways it is over wiiu smash as well. Dont get what your tryin to say

tbone51 said:
MTZehvor said:

Sure, and it was also the worst selling Smash game besides the original over the first three and a half of its life (using the time frame that we have with Smash 4 up until now), and that separates Wii U and 3DS into different games. Say what you want about Nintendo and their questionable marketing tactics for other titles over the years, but they've established an extremely effective method for selling Smash, and it doesn't make much sense to just abandon it here.

I dont know what your trying to pull with sales but that is pointless. Smash on GCN is the best selling GCN game (that includes 3d mario/AC/Mario Kart/etc)

It selling under brawl (100mil user base vs 20mil) doesnt mean much. Anyways it is over wiiu smash as well. Dont get what your tryin to say

It's not pointless. Nintendo is obviously concerned about sales, and the point being that if you compare Melee to any game that has released since in comparable time frames, Melee has sold worse. Obviously, if you compare lifetime sales, Melee has sold better than Wii U, since Wii U has only been around for 3 and a half years. If you compare sales over three and a half years, however, Wii U has outsold Melee (at least in the US).

Last edited by MTZehvor - on 08 March 2018

Yeah, I'm don't quite believe that this is a new game. It just seems too soon to release another new installment, especially when Smash 4 continued to have extras added via dlc and tweaks after its release. Considering how taxing it sounds to make a Smash game, I don't really expect Sakurai would jump into that cycle again shortly after Smash 4, and if him and his team were to build up a Smash game again from scratch with new characters and modes, I'm having my doubts on this being new releasing so soon. I'm thinking more a deluxe port with more extras added, which I'm still okay with.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:
 I don't really expect Sakurai would jump into that cycle again shortly after Smash 4.

Well, Sakurai went beyond your expectations cause he's working on the game