By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Monster Hunter: World Ships 7.5 Million those Legiana! (Best selling Capcom game in history)

I can safely say that I didn't expect this.

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:
Kerotan said:

We all expected ps4 to get many 10m sellers this gen but monster Hunter was not one of them. This will sell on ps4 for years especially as the price lowers. 10m is doable. 

Yeah crazy to think. The dedicated handheld market is almost gone with the 3ds on its last legs. The future is on consoles  pc and hybrids. 

The best selling monster Hunter SKU ever is now on ps4. The second best selling is on psp. The franchise was created on ps2. The franchise is ingrained in playstations dna. 

What has any of that to do with my post? Go marry your Playstation already lol. 

Handheld gaming is doing just fine with the Switch, the only thing that's dead is Playstation handhelds.

Switch is a hybrid console. The vita was the last ever dedicated handheld platform to release. The market just moved on from them. 

I just finished the main story of this game last night after nearly 100 hours of playtime. My Hunter Rank jumped from 15 to 29. Had a ton of fun playing through this, but 100 hours may be enough for me. I have a huge backlog I need to get to.

Alkibiádēs said:
Kerotan said:

We all expected ps4 to get many 10m sellers this gen but monster Hunter was not one of them. This will sell on ps4 for years especially as the price lowers. 10m is doable. 

Yeah crazy to think. The dedicated handheld market is almost gone with the 3ds on its last legs. The future is on consoles  pc and hybrids. 

The best selling monster Hunter SKU ever is now on ps4. The second best selling is on psp. The franchise was created on ps2. The franchise is ingrained in playstations dna. 

Handheld gaming is doing just fine with the Switch, the only thing that's dead is Playstation handhelds.

Is this the time of the day where personal attacks are allowed and Switch is a handheld?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

https://www.invenglobal.com/articles/4445/monster-hunter-world-75-million-copies-sold-worldwide-becomes-capcoms-best-selling-title

Haruhiro Tsujimoto, the CEO of Capcom, announced that the sales of Monster Hunter: World in the Asian region has reached 10 times that of original series.

Emerging market FTW. That's why Sony and couple of 3rd party Japanese devs are starting to publish games in SEA and Other parts of Asia.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Switch is a hybrid console. The vita was the last ever dedicated handheld platform to release. The market just moved on from them. 

Switch is both a handheld and home console. I'm using it exclusively as a handheld for example. You're just using the "hybrid" bullshit as an excuse to fabricate a narrative.

Market hasn't moved away from anything, except Playstation handhelds that is. 

The Switch is successful because it delivers home console experiences on the go. Something which Sony promised with the Vita, but they failed horribly. The fact that you can play Switch games on your TV as well is just a great bonus that boosts sales even further. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:

Please don't get personal with people.

This goes for everyone in here, from this post onward. Debate with each other, that's fine. Don't throw out small digs.

Alkibiádēs said:
think-man said:

The game hasn't been out very long, so it will continue to sell for awhile yet. I'm not taking anything away from the PSP and 3DS titles, I'm just saying Capcom became too complacent by playing it safe with them. They took a risk at moving away from the handhelds, and it paid off big time.

MHW sales are impressive, but 7.5 million units sold for your best selling game ever is not impressive for a major third party publisher.

And again, because you seem to have ignored my last post: Capcom does a lot of revised editions of games. From Street Fighter 2 on SNES all the way to Street Fighter 2 on Switch, anytime something was added to the title it was considered a different game.

Has Monster Hunter World sold more than all versions of SF2? No.

Has it sold more than any single iteration of SF2? Yes.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Alkibiádēs said:
Kerotan said:

Switch is both a handheld and home console. I'm using it exclusively as a handheld for example. You're just using the "hybrid" bullshit as an excuse to fabricate a narrative.

Market hasn't moved away from anything, except Playstation handhelds that is. 

The Switch is successful because it delivers home console experiences on the go. Something which Sony promised with the Vita, but they failed horribly. The fact that you can play Switch games on your TV as well is just a great bonus that boosts sales even further. 

If you're going to deny the hybrid status of the Switch, then the only remaining route is "handheld with a TV dock". So which is it? Dockable handheld, or a hybrid?

Switch is successful for a lot of reasons, not just that it's a hybrid. It also launched with one of the highest rated games of all time and had a full-fledged 3D Mario title in the first 7 months. As a portable, many (not all, but many) households are getting multiple units, as it is difficult to share portables.

Did I mention Zelda? I mentioned Zelda.

And Vita failed because Sony didn't back it or handle it properly at all. It should have launched at $200, with an unlocked 3G model for $250. And Sony should have released an updated model with R2/R3/L2/L3 (and older models could make use of legacy touch controls). Oh, and fucking games.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Olivernintentoal said:
People love the game so much that they are buying when they can't even play it!

My friend had a copy MH World in his apartment, so I asked him when he had bought an XBox (he's a huge Nintendo fan). He said that he didn't have one, but was going to buy one to play MH!

After 4 years he isn't interested in the offers from MS itself but decided to buy MH for X1? Is he waiting for any MS game or he just don't like PS4?

I really couldn't tell you! He didn't really say why he was getting an X1, but I never thought him the type. If it were me, I'd go PS4 all the way. I'm definitely going to ask him more about it!

Playing Xenoblade 2 before I buy Xenoblade 3 (otherwise I couldn't wait to play 3).

Can they announce a new Fire Emblem? A remake of Genealogy or Tellius would suffice !