By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Monster Hunter: World Ships 7.5 Million those Legiana! (Best selling Capcom game in history)

think-man said:
It's now safe to say that handhelds were holding this franchise back. No one expected this, even I thought it would flop compared to the handheld titles.

When I compared Monster Hunter 3 on 3DS and Tri on Wii, I ended up playing and having fun with the Wii game. The controls were so much better with a proper controller ! (the red Pro controller). Also the graphics on a big screen were much more immersive than 240p PS2 graphics (even with 3D). But mainly I found the 3DS game atrocious to play back then, even with the 2 second analog circle pad. 

I always knew it would succeed if done right on main consoles

Around the Network
think-man said:
It's now safe to say that handhelds were holding this franchise back. No one expected this, even I thought it would flop compared to the handheld titles.

Without handhelds this franchise would've been dead already. The PS2 games weren't exactly a success.

Anyway, 7.5 million shipped across multiple platforms is awfully low for being the best selling game of a major third party publisher. I thought Capcom was bigger (or used to be bigger in the past), but I guess not. They really are just an ant when compared to companies like Activision-Blizzard, EA, Ubisoft, Nintendo and even Square-Enix.

Last edited by Alkibiádēs - on 06 March 2018

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:
think-man said:

Without handhelds this franchise would've been dead already. The PS2 games weren't exactly a success.

Anyway, 7.5 million shipped across multiple platforms is awfully low for being the best selling game of a major third party publisher. I thought Capcom was bigger (or used to be bigger in the past), but I guess not. They really are just an ant when compared to companies like Activision-Blizzard, EA, Ubisoft, Nintendo and even Square-Enix.

Capcom is the king of "revised edition" gaming. Just look at all the different versions of SF2- they're all different, so they count as different game sales.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Alkibiádēs said:
think-man said:

The game hasn't been out very long, so it will continue to sell for awhile yet. I'm not taking anything away from the PSP and 3DS titles, I'm just saying Capcom became too complacent by playing it safe with them. They took a risk at moving away from the handhelds, and it paid off big time.

I wonder how many more they would sell if a switch version was ready for launch.
Handheld MH usually sell a couple million. So, I'd think it would be already above 10kk if it was on switch.

Around the Network
think-man said:
Alkibiádēs said:

The game hasn't been out very long, so it will continue to sell for awhile yet. I'm not taking anything away from the PSP and 3DS titles, I'm just saying Capcom became too complacent by playing it safe with them. They took a risk at moving away from the handhelds, and it paid off big time.

MHW sales are impressive, but 7.5 million units sold for your best selling game ever is not impressive for a major third party publisher.

yes yes numbers and all are fine, but I'd rather know how many monsters have been killed, how many online hours have been played and how many weapons crafted.

Pinkie_pie said:
I'm now expecting 12m between ps4 and xbox one so theres a good chance it could hit 10m on ps4 alone. It will do another 2-3m on pc so that makes 15m lifetime

We all expected ps4 to get many 10m sellers this gen but monster Hunter was not one of them. This will sell on ps4 for years especially as the price lowers. 10m is doable. 

think-man said:

Yeah crazy to think. The dedicated handheld market is almost gone with the 3ds on its last legs. The future is on consoles  pc and hybrids. 

Alkibiádēs said:
think-man said:

The best selling monster Hunter SKU ever is now on ps4. The second best selling is on psp. The franchise was created on ps2. The franchise is ingrained in playstations dna. 

theprof00 said:
yes yes numbers and all are fine, but I'd rather know how many monsters have been killed, how many online hours have been played and how many weapons crafted.

Yes, let's talk about relevant numbers =]

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Kerotan said:
Pinkie_pie said:
I'm now expecting 12m between ps4 and xbox one so theres a good chance it could hit 10m on ps4 alone. It will do another 2-3m on pc so that makes 15m lifetime

We all expected ps4 to get many 10m sellers this gen but monster Hunter was not one of them. This will sell on ps4 for years especially as the price lowers. 10m is doable. 

think-man said:

Yeah crazy to think. The dedicated handheld market is almost gone with the 3ds on its last legs. The future is on consoles  pc and hybrids. 

Alkibiádēs said:

The best selling monster Hunter SKU ever is now on ps4. The second best selling is on psp. The franchise was created on ps2. The franchise is ingrained in playstations dna. 

What has any of that to do with my post? Go marry your Playstation already lol. 

Handheld gaming is doing just fine with the Switch, the only thing that's dead is Playstation handhelds.