By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Monster Hunter: World Ships 7.5 Million those Legiana! (Best selling Capcom game in history)

derpysquirtle64 said:
Manlytears said:

The power gap of switch and og x1 isn't that big. Just remove some textures, put sub 720p resolution, and try to hit 30 fps, etc.

If Doom for ps4/x1/sw is possible, than so is a monster hunter game.

I mean, switch version will most like be miles behind other versions(almost a diferent game), but you will have mh on a handheld, and things will look "ok" on a small screen.

Doom is not a good example actually. It was re-written from scratch by another studio. So, it is completely different game actually compared to pc/ps4/xb1 build. Will Capcom bother with re-writing the game specifically for Switch? I don't think so actually. They better develop the next entry which will target all three consoles from the start of development process.

I agree, mhw is ps/x1 only, it would take too much time to make switch port, it's better to make a new game whit the 3 consoles in mind.

Also, switch got enough power on it, and "magic ports" tha play on ps3/ps4 like mgsv, shadow of mordor, destiny 1 and other prove this.

Around the Network
Azuren said:
Sam1994 said:

To be fair,it's "shipment" not "sold" and horizon is an exclusive title.

Well, now I want to analyze this:

PS4 has roughly a 2:1 lead on X1, so it's safe to say that MHW is at least 66.6% on PS4. That means 5 million on PS4 alone. While it hasn't matched Horizon yet, Horizon also had a one year head start and World has closed about two thirds of the gap in 2 months.

On those 7.5 millions around 2 millions are sold in Japan, so only on PS4. So that makes 2/3 on 5.5 millions which means 3.7 millions plus 2 millions from japan (minimum counting digital) = 5.7 millions on PS4 alone.

But that's the minimum number because the 2:1 ratio is taken from UK (and traditionally extrapolated to US) and we know it's worse (for XB1) in continental Europe and mostly the rest of the world. So I'd say 6 millions on PS4 alone should give us a good estimate.

globalisateur said:
Azuren said:

PS4 has roughly a 2:1 lead on X1, so it's safe to say that MHW is at least 66.6% on PS4. That means 5 million on PS4 alone. While it hasn't matched Horizon yet, Horizon also had a one year head start and World has closed about two thirds of the gap in 2 months.

On those 7.5 millions around 2 millions are sold in Japan, so only on PS4. So that makes 2/3 on 5.5 millions which means 3.7 millions plus 2 millions from japan (minimum counting digital) = 5.7 millions on PS4 alone.

But that's the minimum number because the 2:1 ratio is taken from UK (and traditionally extrapolated to US) and we know it's worse (for XB1) in continental Europe and mostly the rest of the world. So I'd say 6 millions on PS4 alone should give us a good estimate.

I usually low-ball to avoid arguments on it. Difficult to argue 2:1 when it's more likely leaning in favor of PS4 further than that and consoles sales are effectively at two to one.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

People love the game so much that they are buying when they can't even play it!

My friend had a copy MH World in his apartment, so I asked him when he had bought an XBox (he's a huge Nintendo fan). He said that he didn't have one, but was going to buy one to play MH!

Playing Xenoblade 2 before I buy Xenoblade 3 (otherwise I couldn't wait to play 3).

Can they announce a new Fire Emblem? A remake of Genealogy or Tellius would suffice !

Hiku said:
Nautilus said:

How much significant that power would be for that game though?Outside of prettier graphics and better lightining I mean.Would 6 Bosses instead of "just" 3 at the same time would make for a better game, or it would just ensure a chaotic encounter that dosent have the fun of a more calculated, intimate encounter with less enemies?This kind of thinking would just led us to speculative territory, and would led us nowhere.

Instead, PS4 and XOne is powerful enough to deliver the game that the devs envisioned it.As you said, extra power could have afforded a few extra bells and whistles to the game, but would it make a difference?Thats what Im trying to argue with my example.Would a theoretical Switch version make such a difference to the point that the game would have lost its soul?Switch is too new to really have good examples, but what was the last port, that was done with some competence, that hindered the gameplay and the overall game experience so much as you describe?I would say the Vita with some of its games, like maybe Borderlands 2, but usually when a port is announced, its because the devs porting it have enough confidence that they can deliver and the game overall experience will remain overall intact.Doom is an example of that.

And if you think such small compromises like small audio compressions is reason enough to not want to port something over, well Im sorry but thats petty.Technology could always become better, and if a dev for example, held off developing a game to develop it 5 years later, he would have better tools and stronger hardware to work with, and thus in theory create a better game.This argument can go on forever like that.

And I mean, Im not basing this off of nowhere.Capcom said it would be difficult to port it, but not impossible.Difficult is just a nice word that it would require a bit more time and money than usual, but it would be doable.

Well there is of course a question of what you can, or what you should, do with extra power. I mentioned the number of large boss monsters on the same map because it is my understanding that it is new for Monster Hunter World to have 3, and that the number of large boss monsters appearing in the same area in the portable games was lower. I don't know if 6 at the same time would be a good idea. lol But it was just an example of something that can easily be imagined.

But I just want to point out the distinct difference between talking about how developing a game for multiple platforms can force developers to not set the common denominator too high, vs porting a game that's already finished. Because porting a game that's already finished is very different in that developers generally don't begin full scale development of porting a game unless they first assess that it is possible to achieve adequate results.

They may look at Game #A and run tests and come to the conclusion that "Yes, this is doable".
While the same tests for Game #B give them less than satisfactory results, so they never even attempt to port it at all.
This ties into what I said about how some games can be developed properly across all platforms without any significant sacrifices being necessary. It just depends on what goals they have for the game. As long as the bar is set where it is not because of hardware limitations, but because it already met their artistic vision (like 3 boss monsters in the same area for example. Maybe they thought that was the perfect number anyway), then there is no problem.

But when the bar is lowered because of hardware limitations of certain systems, the compromises made could be both significant (number of bosses on screen), and insignificant (lower resolution textures, etc.)

I wasn't specifically limiting this to MHW other than using an example from it. I don't know the ins and outs of the development of MHW, or any specific game for that matter. So I can never really claim if this is or isn't the case for any one specific game, unless the developers say so themselves. I was only saying that it is technically possible that hardware limitations can cause significant sacrifices on the more powerful platforms. But it is also possible that none such occur.

In regards to the "compression" comment. That wasn't the issue on 360. That was only to illustrate that Square would have been forced to use more than 3 discs for Xbox 360, in spite of already cutting corners with compressing data, if they wanted to include more story content that they reportedly scrapped due to storage disparity.

The bolded sums up the problem.We cant say for certain either way, if the Switch would hold out the game potential or not.Without Capcom saying that it is outright impossible(They only said it was hard, as previously stated), and without the Switch having a big power gap betwenn the other consoles, any argument made against it or for it is simply what ifs.

But that also, in my opinion, makes the argument of "Capcom should just try to make a version for it then" more compelling.MH was associated with Nintendo for a long time, so fans are certainly present in the system, making the potential risks of couping the costs really low.And with the success of the Switch, there really isnt any excuse just not try to do it.

Anyways, I do understand where you are comming from, and if such a port would be trully impossible, I agree that something different shouldnt be pushed just for the sake of getting a MH in the system.I had a better reply planned for your response, but I accidentelly closed the tab and lost all that I wrote, so I gave you this shorter version lol.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
HandofPrometheus said:
This game has the best crow eating ever lol feels good.

They need to add a giant flying crow for the doubters to hunt as dlc. 

globalisateur said:
Azuren said:

Japan would be closer to 3m with digital and including Asia the ps4 version has likely sold 4m over that side of the world. That leaves 3.5m for everywhere else. Its reasonable to expect about 1.1m of that 3.5m being xbox sales. I'd estimate the ps4 total as 6.5m which is insane.. 

Could this hit 10m on ps4 alone?

I'm now expecting 12m between ps4 and xbox one so theres a good chance it could hit 10m on ps4 alone. It will do another 2-3m on pc so that makes 15m lifetime

It's now safe to say that handhelds were holding this franchise back. No one expected this, even I thought it would flop compared to the handheld titles.

Hiku said:

Nice.

Have they confirmed that there will be paid DLC expansions as well? I mean I hope there will be. I just haven't heard of it.

Not yet, But I am expecting it though especially with MHW being successful. Expansion will be a nice follow up for it.  New Monsters, New Maps, and weapons. Capcom will be stupid to not capitalize on that front. 

But for G-Rank I think they will do it with PC release. Like Royal Edition for FFXV.  It's a nice  launch edition for PC. 

Nautilus said:
Hiku said:

They are.
Capcom could have created a much more state of the art MH game on PC, with larger more multi layered maps, and 6 major bosses appearing on the same map simultaneously instead of just 3, etc.

Switch has enough power that, even if a version is being planned out for it, it wont hold back anything for the other versions.

That's not accurate. While it's possible to create a game like that in some cases when you set the bar lower, it's also very possible to create games where certain aspects of a game have to be removed to maintain a consistent experience on all platforms. This is even the case between Xbox One and PS4. (There are even rare instances where the PS4 version has performance issues not present on Xbox One because they kept things the same. One Assassin's Creed game was developed with an emphasis on more developed A.I., which relies more on the CPU than the GPU. The one area where Xbox One actually outperforms PS4. So for the PS4 version to have the same A.I. calculations as the Xbox One version, it caused the game to have performance issues as a tradeoff. But if you want the PS4 version to run as well as the Xbox One version, they would need to sacrifice the A.I. on PS4. Or something else.)

Even a factor like Xbox 360's DVD based storage media vs the Blu Ray discs of PS3 reportedly held back content from each version of Final Fantasy XIII. The game was already 3 discs large on Xbox 360, with heavily compressed data. So I can see why Square wouldn't want it to be 5-6 discs or whatever on 360.

How much significant that power would be for that game though?Outside of prettier graphics and better lightining I mean.Would 6 Bosses instead of "just" 3 at the same time would make for a better game, or it would just ensure a chaotic encounter that dosent have the fun of a more calculated, intimate encounter with less enemies?This kind of thinking would just led us to speculative territory, and would led us nowhere.

Instead, PS4 and XOne is powerful enough to deliver the game that the devs envisioned it.As you said, extra power could have afforded a few extra bells and whistles to the game, but would it make a difference?Thats what Im trying to argue with my example.Would a theoretical Switch version make such a difference to the point that the game would have lost its soul?Switch is too new to really have good examples, but what was the last port, that was done with some competence, that hindered the gameplay and the overall game experience so much as you describe?I would say the Vita with some of its games, like maybe Borderlands 2, but usually when a port is announced, its because the devs porting it have enough confidence that they can deliver and the game overall experience will remain overall intact.Doom is an example of that.

And if you think such small compromises like small audio compressions is reason enough to not want to port something over, well Im sorry but thats petty.Technology could always become better, and if a dev for example, held off developing a game to develop it 5 years later, he would have better tools and stronger hardware to work with, and thus in theory create a better game.This argument can go on forever like that.

And I mean, Im not basing this off of nowhere.Capcom said it would be difficult to port it, but not impossible.Difficult is just a nice word that it would require a bit more time and money than usual, but it would be doable.

Considering the sacrifices the game would need (as already presented to you, it isn't simply a case of cutting framerate and resolution) this would be more like redoing the game than porting. And although it may be possible, as it would be possible to make a PS360 version, it may not even look like the same game.

Olivernintentoal said:
People love the game so much that they are buying when they can't even play it!

My friend had a copy MH World in his apartment, so I asked him when he had bought an XBox (he's a huge Nintendo fan). He said that he didn't have one, but was going to buy one to play MH!

After 4 years he isn't interested in the offers from MS itself but decided to buy MH for X1? Is he waiting for any MS game or he just don't like PS4?

think-man said:
It's now safe to say that handhelds were holding this franchise back. No one expected this, even I thought it would flop compared to the handheld titles.

How dare you blame Nintendo?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."