By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Secret message in Metal Gear Survive says 'KJP Forever', calls director a bastard and producer cunning

VAMatt said:
iron_megalith said:

I would've believed this scenario but we all know what Konami did to their other franchises. 

It also speaks magnitudes when your shift has focused from developing good games to fucking gambling(Pachinko machines). So yeah, anyone who still thinks that Konami is headed to a good direction is a huge corporate tool that Konami desperately needs.

I agree that Konami has changed direction significantly.  I haven't purchased any of their games in forever.  But, is that somehow wronging Kojima?  If he refused to do, or was incapable of doing what Konami wanted him to do, he's supposed to be fired.  That's how employment works.

DonFerrari said:

MGS games have made them profit... and if Kojima wasn't profitable they wouldn't have asked him to try Castlevania and ressurect Silent Hill.

Some companies look more at budgets than profits... anyway Konami done a very lousy job.

We don't know to what extent the games were profitable.  But, we have heard countless stories about his budget busting ways.  

potato_hamster said:

No. Konami turned a handsome profit on every single one of Kojima's projects as far as I know. MGSV (the game that got him fired) likely made its development costs back in its first week on sale. It sold a total of over 6 million copies not including the definitive edition released last year. Apparently the development cost was $80m. Conservatively assuming they made $25 per copy sold, that's a $70M profit. Even more if that $80 million development cost included Ground Zeroes.

A few yeara ago, there was a change in Konami's leadership, and one of the new heads was far more profit driven than his predecessors. He was unwilling to give Kojima the time to make the games the way Kojima saw fit, and the relationship between Konami and Kojima crumbled to a point where they made his work life a living hell and forced a release date on him, forcing him to release an unfinished game in MGS V. He then was fired after the project was finished, and left to join Sony,  who will gladly give Kojima everything he wanted from a publisher, and in return get great exclusives that are pretty much guaranteed to make a profit.  He'll probably never leave.

No pub makes anywhere near $25 average per game over the course of its lifetime.  They're only in that ballpark at the very beginning of a game's life.  A year later most games are selling for $30 or so, maybe $40 if its a big hit.  After royalties are paid to the platform holder, the retailer gets a cut, distribution costs, and the actual costs to make the physical product, the pub is making much less - more like $10.  Then, at year two, when games sell for $20, they're making pennies.  

If the games he was doing weren't profitable konami wouldn't have put him in charge of several other games. The change in direction and counting of nick and dimes were more the issue.

And if Konami wanted to fire him that is fine and their right, that doesn't excuse what they have done for 1-2 years before the end of the contract.

Also most of sales happen on first month at 60USD, so the 25 made per copy is fair assumption.

VAMatt said:
iron_megalith said:

So wait a minute. If your employer was suddenly a dick and you poured your heart and soul to a project only for them to piss on it then it should be fine because they're the employer?

I really think you should submit your resume to Konami. Seems like you'll really fit in there. They really need people like you! 

I don't even know how to respond. You just made something up and pretended that I said it.  That's not even in the ballpark of what I said.  

He may have exaggerated a bit, but after you saw what Konami have been said to do and not said it was wrong, them it is in the same ballpark.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
potato_hamster said:

No. Konami turned a handsome profit on every single one of Kojima's projects as far as I know. MGSV (the game that got him fired) likely made its development costs back in its first week on sale. It sold a total of over 6 million copies not including the definitive edition released last year. Apparently the development cost was $80m. Conservatively assuming they made $25 per copy sold, that's a $70M profit. Even more if that $80 million development cost included Ground Zeroes.

A few yeara ago, there was a change in Konami's leadership, and one of the new heads was far more profit driven than his predecessors. He was unwilling to give Kojima the time to make the games the way Kojima saw fit, and the relationship between Konami and Kojima crumbled to a point where they made his work life a living hell and forced a release date on him, forcing him to release an unfinished game in MGS V. He then was fired after the project was finished, and left to join Sony,  who will gladly give Kojima everything he wanted from a publisher, and in return get great exclusives that are pretty much guaranteed to make a profit.  He'll probably never leave.

No pub makes anywhere near $25 average per game over the course of its lifetime.  They're only in that ballpark at the very beginning of a game's life.  A year later most games are selling for $30 or so, maybe $40 if its a big hit.  After royalties are paid to the platform holder, the retailer gets a cut, distribution costs, and the actual costs to make the physical product, the pub is making much less - more like $10.  Then, at year two, when games sell for $20, they're making pennies.  

Yeah, but the vast majority of MGS V's sales came within the first two months when it was selling for no less than $50. Most publishers make about $30 from a $60 game, and yes it decreases as time goes down, that's why I put it at $25. But even if their average return was $15 a copy, that still nets Konami a handsome $10M profit, and that's not counting the sales of Ground Zeroes (over 3 million copies itself), or the profits on the multi-player micro transactions, even though the $80 million budget for MGSV includes the development cost of both Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain.

This game easily made many, many millions. As far as I know, every game Kojima ever put his name on has made its money back and then some.

potato_hamster said:
VAMatt said:

Yeah, but the vast majority of MGS V's sales came within the first two months when it was selling for no less than $50. Most publishers make about $30 from a $60 game, and yes it decreases as time goes down, that's why I put it at $25. But even if their average return was $15 a copy, that still nets Konami a handsome $10M profit, and that's not counting the sales of Ground Zeroes (over 3 million copies itself), or the profits on the multi-player micro transactions, even though the $80 million budget for MGSV includes the development cost of both Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain.

This game easily made many, many millions. As far as I know, every game Kojima ever put his name on has made its money back and then some.

And ignoring that a lot of cost gone to creating the engine they will use on other games and those games will enjoy the reduced cost because of it already being paid by MGS V.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

think-man said:
Wouldn't it be funny if it were just a coincident xD

It would be both tragic and hilarious. Only to be accidently changed again to "k-o-n-a-m-i-s-u-c-k-s".

RJ_Sizzle said:
think-man said:
Wouldn't it be funny if it were just a coincident xD

It would be both tragic and hilarious. Only to be accidently changed again to "k-o-n-a-m-i-s-u-c-k-s".

On PC, mods can keep it forever.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
potato_hamster said:

And ignoring that a lot of cost gone to creating the engine they will use on other games and those games will enjoy the reduced cost because of it already being paid by MGS V.

That's a bingo. Just like how part of the budget for Horizon: Zero Dawn is actually funding Death Stranding.

potato_hamster said:
DonFerrari said:

That's a bingo. Just like how part of the budget for Horizon: Zero Dawn is actually funding Death Stranding.

Exactly, and that if the games weren't profitable then they wouldn't put him in other games at the same time =] perhaps it isn't as profitable as gamble machines.

potato_hamster said:
KLAMarine said:

Never a good idea to burn bridges.

That's not necessarily true. Konami clearly doesn't give a fuck. Why would he want to work with Konami again?

But other companies might think this was childish and unprofessional and might think twice to hire this person...

aikohualda said:
potato_hamster said:

That's not necessarily true. Konami clearly doesn't give a fuck. Why would he want to work with Konami again?

But other companies might think this was childish and unprofessional and might think twice to hire this person...

That's if they know who actually did it.