By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A new dedicated handheld?

SecondWar said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

Oh do elaborate, lol

Lol, you used a certain phrase that is a pet hate of mine. I've managed to overthink it to the point where if something uses the phrase I become offended.

Ranting about it on the internet is more fun than doing it in my own head.

Hmmmmm let me guess, Ninty??

And I totally understand peeves, like when people pronounce SNES as a word instead of letters. Drives me crazy

Around the Network
PortisheadBiscuit said:
SecondWar said:

Lol, you used a certain phrase that is a pet hate of mine. I've managed to overthink it to the point where if someone uses the phrase I become offended.

Ranting about it on the internet is more fun than doing it in my own head.

Hmmmmm let me guess, Ninty??

And I totally understand peeves, like when people pronounce SNES as a word instead of letters. Drives me crazy

No, Ninty doesn't bother me. And ironically I pronounce SNES as a word.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Conina said:

The Switch doesn't only have $60 games, it has games in all price ranges! It has big games AND small games.

Some good smaller games, usually priced between $5 and $20:

• Celeste
  • Shovel Knight
  • Steamworld heist
  • Steamworld Dig 1 + 2
  • Cave Story +
  • Stardew Valley
  • Night in the Woods
  • Owlboy
  • Axiom Verge
  • Rocket League
  • Enter the Gungeon
  • Minecraft
  • Sonic Mania
  • Thumper
  • The Binding of Isaac
  • Owlboy
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Pinball FX3
  • Rayman Legends
  • Thimbleweed Park
  • Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
  • Oxenfree
  • The Darkside Detective
  • Golf Story

Still, youre $300 in the hole before you can play any of those games. While a budget gamer can pick up a $79 2DS with a top tier 1st party title already installed. It's a market Nintendo could continue to tap into should they choose.

I just dont really get what you are proposing.

You are saying they should release a budget system to fill the gap but there is no gap, 2DS is their budget system. Its $79 and has a huge catalog of low cost titles. They will just keep it on the market for young kids and price sensitive consumers until Switch can get its price & form factor small enough to replace it in a few years.

I just cant wrap my head around why Nintendo would release a $99-129 device slightly more powerful than 3DS, it just makes zero sense.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

Still, youre $300 in the hole before you can play any of those games. While a budget gamer can pick up a $79 2DS with a top tier 1st party title already installed. It's a market Nintendo could continue to tap into should they choose.

You are saying they should release a budget system to fill the gap but there is no gap, 2DS is their budget system. Its $79 and has a huge catalog of low cost titles. They will just keep it on the market for young kids and price sensitive consumers until Switch can get its price & form factor small enough to replace it in a few years.

I just cant wrap my head around why Nintendo would release a $99-129 device slightly more powerful than 3DS, it just makes zero sense.

Well clearly, a newer system will increase interest in the segment. At press time 3DS/2DS hardware is moving units, however software is stagnant. A new low cost system with new software will pique interest again. I'm kinda looking at the transition from GB to GBA for comparison. They kept GBA relatively low cost with new software, some of which were ports (Super Mario Advance) and it did insanely well.

Not saying a new dedicated will do GBA numbers, but a smaller scale development budget with a handful of proven titles would be a low risk investment to keep a still thriving (albeit shrunken) handheld market going.

Again, all of this is purely hypothetical 

PortisheadBiscuit said:
LipeJJ said:
Ew, no. It would turn Nintendo into a mess again for having to support 2 systems at the same time like before.

They did it successfully 3 of 4 times, not sure how that's a mess but oooookay

Because games could be made with fewer people, smaller budgets & less time back then.

It was feasible to support 2 systems when they were working with 2D sprites on handhelds & SD resolutions on consoles but with their handhelds making the jump to 3D and consoles to HD last generation it is almost impossible to support 2 seperate systems at once and this would continue to get worse with each passing generation.

Consolidating their handhelds & consoles into a single ecosystem is the best choice they could have made.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

They did it successfully 3 of 4 times, not sure how that's a mess but oooookay

Because games could be made with fewer people, smaller budgets & less time back then.

It was feasible to support 2 systems when they were working with 2D sprites on handhelds & SD resolutions on consoles but with their handhelds making the jump to 3D and consoles to HD last generation it is almost impossible to support 2 seperate systems at once and this would continue to get worse with each passing generation.

Consolidating their handhelds & consoles into a single ecosystem is the best choice they could have made.

What I'm proposing is more of a lateral move (withered tech philosophy ala Yokoi), no doubt developers have figured out 3DS type software to where they can develop for the system with much more ease than in 2011. 

PortisheadBiscuit said:
zorg1000 said:

Well clearly, a newer system will increase interest in the segment. At press time 3DS/2DS hardware is moving units, however software is stagnant. A new low cost system with new software will pique interest again. I'm kinda looking at the transition from GB to GBA for comparison. They kept GBA relatively low cost with new software, some of which were ports (Super Mario Advance) and it did insanely well.

Not saying a new dedicated will do GBA numbers, but a smaller scale development budget with a handful of proven titles would be a low risk investment to keep a still thriving (albeit shrunken) handheld market going.

Again, all of this is purely hypothetical 

Making a device slightly more powerful than 3DS just doesn't make sense, if they really want to support a low cost device than they should just have a few small teams of young developers continue to make software for 3DS.

What they are doing now is offering the 2DS line as their budget friendly device that sells on its back catalog and Switch as their premium device with new blockbuster releases and thats what they should continue to do.

A device that falls somewhere in between is just redundant and would only steal sales from the other two.

I've actually kinda said why ever discontinue the 3DS. They could just keep the hardware and move physical games out, and then offer like several hundred back catalog DS and 3DS games (and Virtual Console stuff) through the eShop to play for people who want a sub $130 handheld.

People are still willing to pay money to play classic NES and SNES these days, the current 3DSi XL is basically the culmination of the DS/3DS era (you could also throw GBA/GB in there too), might as well just keep it around. There are plenty of games that are still fun to play from the DS and 3DS library and will be for another 20+ years. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 25 February 2018

PortisheadBiscuit said:
RolStoppable said:

Scaled down versions of Switch games on a platform slightly more powerful than the 3DS would require so much work that they would be their own games, so essentially the same situation as Wii U and 3DS. Any available development resources (inhouse and outsourced) are better used for Switch software because of much higher profit margins compared to making games for a hypothetical budget handheld and budget-conscious customers.

Budget-conscious customers aren't going to spend much money on games and accessories, so developing new games for them doesn't really make sense to begin with. You can't expect such costumers to buy more than one or two $40 games.

On the other hand, Mini variations of past Nintendo consoles - there's nothing stopping Nintendo from introducing GB/GBC Classic and GBA Classic - tick all the boxes. They are a low investment and come with guaranteed sales. Those redesigned old consoles are such a wonderful solution for Nintendo.

Budget conscious gamers would no doubt spend $300 for a lower budget handheld, several games etc than $300 for a standalone Switch with $60 games. If you type in google "why is Nintendo.." the most searched term is "why is Nintendo Switch so expensive". At this juncture, Switch is still a premium system in consumer's eyes. Id imagine parents of 5-12 year olds are reluctant at this point. A budget system would fill that gap.

KBG29 said:
A smaller $179.99 portable focused Switch should cover that market quite well. I would look for it to drop around 2020 to make a strong Nintendo presence in the wake of the next PS and XB devices.

True, though I believe there's a market for the $99-129 range as well. The 2DS/2DS XL series has done well and is what is currently pushing sales of the aging system.

Let's also not forget marketshare, why settle for 30% when you can have 40-45%. That always looks sweet to investors. 

Keep in mind, all this is hypothetical as well as wishful thinking because I love Nintendo handhelds. While I love my Switch, it feels more like a home system than handheld and doesnt completely fill my handheld void.

The 3DS didnt have a the 2DS system until 3 years on the market though.

The Switch isnt even a year old. In time for Pokemon im sure we will see a handheld only revision at $179-200. 

Remove the hd rumble, reduce the screen size, drop the dock, no joycons as seperate components wh ere manufacturing and contents are concered (gyro etc)... 

I dont think the system needs to hit the $120 pricetag whilst its still in its peak. This is all relative as well, the Switch is doing at $300 what the 3DS couldnt do at $170 and what the Wii couldnt do at $250.A budget revision will come but not now (thats the 3DS) and not at the expense of their unified developement pipelime.

One thijg we will agree on is that the Switch and its games feel very expensive