By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Half A Billion Fewer Animals Are Being Killed Every Year Since 2007 As People Eat Less Meat

half a billion? that is not even a rounding error to the numbers killed for human consumption each year and certainly won't be having any noticeable effect on livestock industries.

Around the Network

...This isn't important at all

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

Vegans and vegetarians seriously think it's unethical to kill animals for food? And killing [lants is a ok because vegans and vegetarians decided they are lesser beings. I am opposed to cruelty and senseless killing of any being whether plant animal insect or even bacteria. I hate when people kill spiders and Anta needlessly. But did not one ever teach them about the circle of life? They seriously need to watch lion king. Call it God's plan or evolution and selection but for better or worse we are omnivores. The truth of the matter is vegans don't get all the essential proteins in the right quantity unless they eat a lot of soy or something like that or take supplemens. They even have to supplement vitamin b12 because plants don't have bacteria that make them. And supplement fat soluble vitamins as well. There's nothing wrong with that but claiming moral high ground is wrong I think. The only valid point they have is helping the environment and frankly it's up in the air if that actually does help or not because it's not simple addition you have to account for a lot of factors and I have not read up on a lot studies that prove that it's better. If science shows that it is then at least they have something but otherwise this whole holier than thou attitude is throughly unwarranted and completely ridiculous

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Good meat is expensive, I am shifting to less but higher quality meat.

Nymeria said:
I rarely eat beef or pork, generally poultry or fish and lots of vegetables, nuts, and various meat substitutes.

I'd be curious about grain consumption as bread is something was taught to eat as a kid, but now less people seem to consume it.

Grains are basically the most efficient food source. So you can feed the most people with the least usage of land. That's why it was important in the past for growing populations. Modern industrialized countries have stopped populations growth but still increased efficiency of agriculture. So basically all industrialized nations have too much to eat, so no need to focus on grains anymore.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Great. We definitely need more food options in general.  Glad to see there are options without meat, but what about more low fat content, low sugar, no cheese, etc.  A lot of current trends cause problems for people's health.  Too much sugar leads to diabetes.  Too much cheese leads to lactose intolerance.  Too much fat leads to gall stones.  Too much of all of those together and meat leads to IBD issues, heart attack, stroke, obesity, etc.  There should be more variety at all restaurants to accommodate the health of customers.

I'm not an advocate for never eating meat, but the current landscape of restaurants right now is high fat, high saturated fat, high sugar, cheese, meat, etc.  If you don't eat fast food for a while and then grab some fries, the lack of quality and nutrition in them can almost make you sick.  If the vegan, vegetarian movement is creating awareness in what we eat in any way, then I'm all for it.  I'd say that with past patterns, most everyone over the age of 30 is going to end up with a rough road ahead of them; there is more to life than the 15 years between 15 and 30.

Last edited by zygote - on 25 February 2018

Meat substitutes could become cheaper than real meat in the future and I can see meat being in decline long term. I try to reduce meat consumption and must admit have great admiration for vegans and vegetarians. Those that do it for moral reasons I feel are a higher form of life than the rest of us low life b**t**ds. Occasionally I even come across a meal which I prefer the vegetarian option. Here in the UK there is a chain of pubs called wetherspoons and I prefer their vegetarian breakfast to their standard breakfast for example. I actually prefer chicken flavoured crisps that are vegetarian (fake chicken flavour) to those that have real chicken flavouring (roast chicken flavouring).

More plants getting killed. So it’s a wash.

HandofPrometheus said:
I eat meat every week and I think everyday. I hate vegetables but would like to start trying them but it's so hard. Makes me wanna gag lol. Any tips?

*And no I won't stop eating meat not a suggestion *

So is your diet anti-vegan?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Eagle367 said:
Vegans and vegetarians seriously think it's unethical to kill animals for food? And killing [lants is a ok because vegans and vegetarians decided they are lesser beings. I am opposed to cruelty and senseless killing of any being whether plant animal insect or even bacteria. I hate when people kill spiders and Anta needlessly. But did not one ever teach them about the circle of life? They seriously need to watch lion king. Call it God's plan or evolution and selection but for better or worse we are omnivores. The truth of the matter is vegans don't get all the essential proteins in the right quantity unless they eat a lot of soy or something like that or take supplemens. They even have to supplement vitamin b12 because plants don't have bacteria that make them. And supplement fat soluble vitamins as well. There's nothing wrong with that but claiming moral high ground is wrong I think. The only valid point they have is helping the environment and frankly it's up in the air if that actually does help or not because it's not simple addition you have to account for a lot of factors and I have not read up on a lot studies that prove that it's better. If science shows that it is then at least they have something but otherwise this whole holier than thou attitude is throughly unwarranted and completely ridiculous

Recently I have seem an essay by a vegan showing that the environmental impact of replacing cow/chicken with vegetables was worse because of the great use of land and agrotoxic (because vegans tend to ignore that their organic vegetable diet is still impossible for high quantity to feed the full globe).

bonzobanana said:
Meat substitutes could become cheaper than real meat in the future and I can see meat being in decline long term. I try to reduce meat consumption and must admit have great admiration for vegans and vegetarians. Those that do it for moral reasons I feel are a higher form of life than the rest of us low life b**t**ds. Occasionally I even come across a meal which I prefer the vegetarian option. Here in the UK there is a chain of pubs called wetherspoons and I prefer their vegetarian breakfast to their standard breakfast for example. I actually prefer chicken flavoured crisps that are vegetarian (fake chicken flavour) to those that have real chicken flavouring (roast chicken flavouring).

I have had for a lifetime a full "vegetarian" breakfast as this is the culture in brazil... a bread, butter/margarine, milk or juice.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."