By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - January 2018 NPD Thread! Switch #1

Switch took the win! And XB1 came in second! Nice! So all 3 seem to have did very well!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Around the Network

So, this month is virtually a tie

nemo37 said:

it was confirmed that the difference between Switch (the system in first place) and the console in third-place (according to people here it is PS4, but I did not see that stated in the report) was 3%

Well for me, 350 000 of 1 million is 35% and 320 000 of 1 million is 32% and the difference between 35% and 32% is 3% so I don"t clearly get why do you think my estimations are wrong

nemo37 said:
SKMBlake said:

We can asume that the numbers are:

-Switch 350 000
-Xbox One 330 000
-PS4 320 000

No. Your numbers do not take 3DS into account (though I am not sure if that was included in the number) and it was confirmed that the difference between Switch (the system in first place) and the console in third-place (according to people here it is PS4, but I did not see that stated in the report) was 3%. Of course the report did say that unit sales were above 1 million so we could be underestimating the total.

The 3% difference was between the highest revenue (PS4) and lowest revenue (Xbox One).

EDIT: Wait, that's still ambiguous. I mean, there was a 3% difference in revenue between PS4 and Xbox One.

Last edited by StarDoor - on 21 February 2018

Pinkie_pie said:
I'm surprised sales were so close between the 3 in January. Looking at amazon I thought switch was gonna win by at least 50k

Do we have official numbers already? That's amazing.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network

Congrats to Switch!

And how the hell Zelda keeps charting so high? I think we might rethink our LT predictions for it. O.o

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

nemo37 said:
SKMBlake said:

We can asume that the numbers are:

-Switch 350 000
-Xbox One 330 000
-PS4 320 000

No. Your numbers do not take 3DS into account (though I am not sure if that was included in the number) and it was confirmed that the difference between Switch (the system in first place) and the console in third-place (according to people here it is PS4, but I did not see that stated in the report) was 3%. Of course the report did say that unit sales were above 1 million so we could be underestimating the total.

I think the 3% difference is when you're sorting on the basis of revenues from sales in which case PS4 came first.

Numbahz man, we need numbahzzz!!

duduspace1 said:

The Nintendo 3DS handheld console just had its best January since 2013 in terms of consoles sold, according to the NPD Group. For hardware dollar sales, it was the portable’s best January since 2014.

Weird, so the Switch hasn't even started cannibalizing it yet is selling so well already ?

Nintendo console usually fall out of a cliff by this time of their lives. The fact the 3DS is doing so well shows that Nintendo is learning how to get a console to have a longer tail. They will definitely apply what they learned from the 3DS to the Switch later on. 

I think the 3DS is a good low tier platform to get into for those who can't afford a Switch. A 2DS is like $80 with a game and the 3DS is like $170 now. Switch will probably into those sales as the price gets lower.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

PS4 almost won by units and even won by revenue ! And Ryng thought Switch would win by 80 or 100k ! That and Bayonneta flopping in japan must be hard for him.

:P