By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 vs Switch: Launch aligned, who hits 100 million first?

which will reach 100m faster?

PS4 94 70.68%

Switch 39 29.32%

Total:133

Switch will never sell 100 M

Around the Network

I clicked my vote before I truly understood that this was for aligned launches. I would have preferred an option that said, "too early to tell, Switch has only been out for less than a year." like some have said before me, Nintendo has a lot of work to do. At this point I would say it's too early to tell. One thing is for sure, this contest will certainly be great for VGChartz.

Intrinsic said:
mZuzek said:
But seriously, I'm not entirely sure yet that the Switch will hit 100m. However I do get a feeling that if it does, it'll do it faster than the PS4. Nintendo consoles sell much faster, that's just how it always was and it's especially true for handhelds, and of course the Switch is doing insane numbers right now. PS4 is still gonna take maybe a couple years to hit 100m (meaning 6 years total), whereas I can see the Switch doing it in 5.

That said, PS4 will sell more lifetime.

no its not. Look at the 3ds.

What about 3DS?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Intrinsic said:

no its not. Look at the 3ds.

What about 3DS?

Read what he said..... and then look at the 3DS. in 7yrs its basically sold 70M+. Outside the Wii nintendo hasnt ever had a 100M selling home console and that also took almost 7yrs too. So the only historical evidence to use and back the switchs rapid rise to 100M are its handhelds and its last one didnt do 100M in under 6yrs. Its still at 70M+.

Long and short of it is that all we have to go on right now for the Switch is how well its selling right now. Its the first time we are seeing a console like it on the market. Its an unknown entity. Some can say it will sell as well as the wii (best selling console), some come say it will sell as well as the 3ds (most recent best selling handheld) and some will say it will do as well as both combined......

I tend to think it will be somewhere in between.

100million is long way for Switch. I am not sure it will reach it.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Title changed.

thanks 

Switch if it reaches it will do it faster, even though I think ps4 will end up selling more

ps4's first year was 400 and with no big exclusives

How can Nintendo beat PS4 to 100m? PS4 is almost there. Could PS4 beat PS2 in total? That's the real question.

Edit: Just saw it's aligned. But still, I don't even think Switch can reach 100 million.

PS4. Doubt that Switch will reach 100M.

I thinks is a bit early to call since we don't really have a lot of Switch data. What we do know is that it is already ahead when launch-aligned. However, we can't really know if it isn't going to nosedive like the Wii.

Even breaking the 100M barrier can be a bit of a problem for the NS since it probably can't reach the casuals like Wii/DS, so it could end up topping at 90 something (3DS + Wii U). I'm not saying it won't do it, but it's still early to call that.

The PS4 on the other hand is guaranteed to do it. It may not be the fastest, but it is extremely constant. 100M units is more like a marathon instead of a sprint race, so I believe the PS4 has a best shot of reaching it first, even if the other situation wouldn't really surprise me at all.