By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Should any topic be off-limits when it comes to humour?

Now, humour can be a kind of coping mechanism that uses pessimistic humour to make light of the situation. There is also dark comedy which frequently makes use of touchy subject matters. However, the question is, should anything be allowed or discussed? Now, I'm not talking about legally, I'm talking about in terms of social acceptance. Now, things like death are frequently discussed, but what about subjects such as child abuse/molestation, pedophilia, etc. Should we be accepting of humour that makes light of these topics, or should we be attempt to ostracize people into not using this type of humour? I myself frequently make comedy/humour in regards to subjects such as death, but when I do refer to topics like these a lot of times it's usually as a form of social critique as the main point, rather than comedy. Unfortunately, there are very disturbing things that go on in this world, and I think that we need to criticize it, and one form of doing it is through black comedy I'd say. However, the thing is I think some people address topics like these in poor taste, as their main goal isn't to criticize sex offenders, murder, etc. but rather the comedy itself is the main goal.

Around the Network

No. It’s literally all context. Humor is subjective. Depends on the person, depends on the timing, everything. It has its place when it’s not meant as a dark intent. If it’s meant, in context, to not be something hateful, I don’t think anything is off limits.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

No. Humor is a good way of talking about something taboo in the most realistic and honest way possible while getting away with it.

All depends on the receiving party. If they like dark humour all the better, if they don't, you shouldn't.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

All depends on who and where the joke is told. If it’s around people you know that can take it as a joke then sure, around people that doesn’t like dark jokes then no.

Also on the internet I made a joke on Facebook the other day about the mass shootings and it seemed everyone but a few Americans liked it. You’ll always meet people that get offended easily and then on the other hand you’ll meet people that likes to make light of a situation.

Around the Network

The phrase in comedy is "feel the room." Should anything be off limits? No. But, that also doesn't mean you won't have to deal with some shunning if you decide to make religious jokes in a church.

Medisti said:
The phrase in comedy is "feel the room." Should anything be off limits? No. But, that also doesn't mean you won't have to deal with some shunning if you decide to make religious jokes in a church.

Pretty much this. There is a time and place. You wouldn't make a joke about a school shooting atm, for example.

A really good friend of mine likes making jokes about pedophiles. Even if few of them are funny I really feel uncomfortable. The same applies to me for jokes about other races and sexual orientations.

Nope. Either everything is allowed or nothing at all. Simple as that. It's just impossible to draw a line somewhere because humour is purely subjective.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Depends on your audience.

PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)