By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Should any topic be off-limits when it comes to humour?

No topic should be off-limits in comedy that's meant to be humorous. If someone is using "it was a joke, man" as a shield to hide from the repercussions from being a dick or from saying something that was malicious, that shouldn't be included in the "no topic is off-limits in comedy".

Around the Network

Humour should not be allowed to create a hostile sentiment.

Suppose, for example, that someone is rumoured to have been involved in some scandal. Until actual conviction and confirmation, I think it to be of *very* poor taste to use that as the subject of a joke. We all have a natural tendency to believe things simply through frequent exposure, whatever the source may be. I do not think it acceptable to spread a negative image of a person beyond the limits of what we can know with certitude.

Of course, not something anyone should get arrested for. Just something I think should be avoided, and content that I think can be allowed to be removed.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

I’ve been banned for using the word “fat” on this site; to be fair, first I got a warning from the mod saying “you can’t use the word fat because I find it offensive!” and, making h correct assumption that the mod was indeed, fat, in what was probably poor taste humour, I said “And you’re not supposed to eat cake for breakfast.” Then I got banned for three days.

Fat... It’s purely a descriptive word. If I can’t say fat, then what word am I supposed to use?
Chunky-monkey? Elephantian? blubbernaut?

And if any of those words offend you, then how about a salad?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

o_O.Q said:
where do you stop the censorship; and who decides?

Essentially the audience decides whether its acceptable or not, if they don't like the tone of the joke it'll be known through their reaction.

VGPolyglot said:
o_O.Q said:
where do you stop the censorship; and who decides?

Essentially the audience decides whether its acceptable or not, if they don't like the tone of the joke it'll be known through their reaction.

do i really have to go into why this is a bad idea?

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:
VGPolyglot said:

Do I have to go into why it's a bad idea for the audience not to display their disapproval?  Should they just have to be quiet and not be able to say their opinion at all?

yes there are limits to everything

VGPolyglot said:
o_O.Q said:

Do I have to go into why it's a bad idea for the audience not to display their disapproval?  Should they just have to be quiet and not be able to say their opinion at all?

you were asking about things being off limits, that's not the same as a reaction

Context - it's what makes this unneeded conversation brought up so many times.

If you're having a dark joke festival then go ahead and knock yourself out. Just use common sense. Don't go to some random person with down syndrome and call them a retard and proceed to get triggered over the 'triggered' strangers calling you out for being a dick.

C o n t e x t - the magical keyword that solves 90% of issues

From the op: "However, the thing is I think some people address topics like these in poor taste, as their main goal isn't to criticize sex offenders, murder, etc. but rather the comedy itself is the main goal."

How is it bad taste to have comedy as a main goal for a joke?

I think that there should be no limit. However many use this as an excuse to make hateful jokes to deliberately insult someone.So I think that the motive for the joke is the most important thing in determining whether it should be accepted or not.
For example if a child tells a funny joke about dead babies for a mother, that just lost her baby. If the child did it thinking that it would be funny and did´t mean to hurt anyone, then it should be fine. But of course the child might feel guilty and bad, if the mother for example started to cry, because of that joke.
So my point is that everything should be allowed if the intent is good for example to make others laugh and not to hurt anyone. And it is important to learn to know when and what jokes to tell to others, be sensitive and understand that people are different.

:D to the abortion joke!