By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Sales 20 January 2018

PAOerfulone said:
In one year, we've gone from, "There's PS4, then everyone else," to "There's PS4 and Switch, then everyone else."

Yeah, the only real fight left is between PS4 and Switch. But the advantage is clearly for the PS4 given it has already sold almost everything it will ever sell whereas the Switch is only starting its life sales and yet the PS4 manages to pull ahead more often than not so I'm starting to believe that the PS4 will get to 100M units sales lifetime.

As for the Xbox 1, one has to feel a bit sorry for it. It deserves the trouncing in regards to its infamous stunt of E3 2013 but considering the nice specs of the Xbox One X plus the fact that many years have passed, it probably deserves a break, though with its 35M sales so far and still counting, it's not WII U failure material either.

Around the Network

Good sales for PS4 and NS, Xbox one and 3DS is slowly dying

Switch and PS4 killing it

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Good numbers, cant wait for MH World week (im really curious about those results).

Deeeeznuuuts said:
Well done to Sony and Nintendo. Bad news for Xbox, no console should be below 100,000 a week, not yet

It’s up by about 15% from last year so not all bad. 

Around the Network

Can't wait for PS4 to go beast mode next week

kazuyamishima said:
Oh yeah, Switch is cannibalizing 3DS and NOT the PS4 like a lot of people were saying.

Nice week for PS4 and Switch, next one the PS4 could be at nearly 500K with MHW.

I’ve said it since a year or so...Switch cannibalises X1 sales more than anything, because Switch takes the position for the perfect second console. The world has long decided which is first.

RolStoppable said:
Errorist76 said:

I’ve said it since a year or so...Switch cannibalises X1 sales more than anything, because Switch takes the position for the perfect second console. The world has long decided which is first.

Switch doesn't cannibalize anything to a significant degree yet. The only region where it can happen is Japan, but multiplatform titles for PS4 and Switch aren't particularly common yet.

Oh it is. Since the release of Switch the PS4:X1 ratio has dropped down from 2:1 to 3:1 and it even seems to accelerate. Granted there are other factors involved as well but repeating my argument: People will more likely consider a Switch as a second console than they’ll consider an X1(X) and it shows, despite the X1X launch and stuff like PUBG.

Xbox one numbers are shocking can't believe it. How's it gone so wrong for them

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

pokoko said:
Intrinsic said:

If you are looking at all 3 consoles.... then you will find that one isnt just also doing bad in EU but also in japan.

By "big difference maker" I'm referring to the fact that Europe is the only place with a wide separation between ALL THREE places.  

Because Switch is supply constrained in Japan. Once that has been fixed the difference will be huge. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides