By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Volumetric gaming, is this new?

Stumbled across this video (posted about a week ago) and noticed some short glimpses of gameplay going on in this volumetric display (skip to 1:12 in the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWXLsbsrA9U&feature=youtu.be&t=72

Anyone have other examples of volumetric gaming?
(Specifically not head-tracking/small viewing angle projector stuff, but the display fully being in XYZ space)

Around the Network

No, we had 3D technology for a long time ...

The only thing different now is that images are projected over multiple layers in the display rather than just being synthesized with two images ...

What are the specs ? Does it support HDR ? Video input signal interface ? Does HDMI spec even have a standard for this ?

Seems like something that can be done with VR and AR about a thousand times better.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Could be cool for RTS games. Not sure its practical but interesting.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Coolness factor = pretty high.
Actual usage and posibilities = much smaller than VR.

This is one of those things you ll use once and go.... oh that was cool, we can now do that.
But then never really use it for much of anything.

Around the Network

That I would think is better than VR, because you don't lose the sense of your surroundings (something that really annoys me on VR). But I think the technology has some way to go before being practical.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I've been interested in volumetric displays for quite some time, but progress in that field is very slow.
For me what is most interesting about them is possibility of having device with visual presentation akin to video games mixed with sitting around the table aspect of boardgames.

Mnementh said:
That I would think is better than VR, because you don't lose the sense of your surroundings (something that really annoys me on VR).
But I think the technology has some way to go before being practical.

It has design flaws that VR handles much much better though.

For this to be practical (and kinda do what VR does), you ll basically need a entire room covered in this technology, not just a small table.

1) that ll be super expensive, and require each home to have a dedicated room for it.
2) it ll still be "less" of a experiance than what VR can provide, by simply putting on a headset (much less room requirement & cost).
2) it has more than "some way" to go before being practically, unless you want to only use it for simple small board game type games.

JRPGfan said:
Mnementh said:
That I would think is better than VR, because you don't lose the sense of your surroundings (something that really annoys me on VR).
But I think the technology has some way to go before being practical.

For this to be practical (and kinda do what VR does), you ll basically need a entire room covered in this technology, not just a small table.

1) that ll be super expensive, and require each home to have a dedicated room for it.
2) it ll still be "less" of a experiance than what VR can provide, by simply putting on a headset (much less room requirement & cost).
2) it has more than "some way" to go before being practically, unless you want to only use it for simple small board game type games.

Why does it have to be a full room? A table with the display above it allows multiple people to gather around and play together. That would be ideal. Filling a whole room seems awkward and I dont see the point really.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
JRPGfan said:

Why does it have to be a full room? A table with the display above it allows multiple people to gather around and play together. That would be ideal. Filling a whole room seems awkward and I dont see the point really.

It doesn't - I've been following volumetric displays for quite some time now and there are lot of different techs - from rotating displays all the way to lasers "painting" images in thin air - but so far none of them is actually that good - or if anywhere near good, it requires some sort of glasses (which actually doesn't really make it volumetric display at all).

Gathereing around the table, what I think, will be major driving force for this type of devices (if reasonably priced) - boardgames are seeing huge expansion in last 10 or so years, and this is exactly kind of tech that will bring that around the table feel while having most benefits of video games.