By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Volumetric gaming, is this new?

HoloDust said:
Mnementh said:

Why does it have to be a full room? A table with the display above it allows multiple people to gather around and play together. That would be ideal. Filling a whole room seems awkward and I dont see the point really.

It doesn't - I've been following volumetric displays for quite some time now and there are lot of different techs - from rotating displays all the way to lasers "painting" images in thin air - but so far none of them is actually that good - or if anywhere near good, it requires some sort of glasses (which actually doesn't really make it volumetric display at all).

Gathereing around the table, what I think, will be major driving force for this type of devices (if reasonably priced) - boardgames are seeing huge expansion in last 10 or so years, and this is exactly kind of tech that will bring that around the table feel while having most benefits of video games.

Yeah I know the tech isn't near production ready yet, but the potential for playing together is pretty neat. If the tech is ready I think interesting things could happen.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]