By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - segmentnext "Xbox One X Outselling PS4 Pro In The US, Xbox One Close To 35 Million Units Sold"

LipeJJ said:
eva01beserk said:

I agree with you. But can they really release another console, before the ps5? I don't think it will be good for them. They have to do it a year later than sony so they can at least overpower them cuz they will lack games. 

You're right, but at the same time, releasing after PS5 would mean starting with less games and third party support. Releasing a year before PS3 did wonders for Xbox 360, so maybe they will try this again.

They dint just release a year earlier. They where also more powerful and cheaper. WHat are they chances that they hit all those 3 again. Specially not considering they are just buying the best part at the moment from amd. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
eva01beserk said:

I agree with you. But can they really release another console, before the ps5? I don't think it will be good for them. They have to do it a year later than sony so they can at least overpower them cuz they will lack games. 

This actually puts them in a really bad spot. It would certainly be better for them to wait and launch a system that's more powerful than the PS5 and they should certainly want to give the One X some real time to be top dog, but Sony can just wait them out.

If Sony gets to a point where they're selling half the units they did last year, they'll still be selling better than the Xbox One ever has. They're doing so well they could probably wait till 2021, 2022 if they really needed to. The Xbox One will be dying on the vine by the middle of 2020 whether they announce a new system or not.

So no matter what the next step has to be taken by sony. If MS acts any sooner they will be dead on arrival.  But I dont think sony will wait to long before the next upgrade. The entire point of these mid gen upgrades was to stop people who cant wait to jump to pc. I think by 2020 entry level laptops will be outperforming the pro. I mean, just look at what amd dropped with the 2400g. In 2020 that will be better than the pro, or the same.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

LipeJJ said:
Barkley said:

No, assuming it's at 35m beginning of 2018, and the next Xbox launches Holiday 2020, it only has to average 5m a year to pass 50m. Though of course there will be some sales post-2020 also. There's no way it finishes under that.

The thing is... sales were down in the year a revised model launched, so I believe this is a trend and sales will only get lower from now on. I wouldn't be surprised if it only does 6m this year and under 5m starting next year. I also think if MS plans to release another console they will not wait until late 2020.

Well, the X boost was offset by having next to no exclusives for this year.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

I doubt (if this is true) that it will keep pace but IF it doesn't it wouldn't surprise me. I tell people all the time that in console gaming, what is today's failure can be tomorrows foil.

if Microsoft puts out the next console too early to kill this declining console, they might get Dreamcast'd when PS5 releases. They should ride out this era and not make the same mistakes they did this gen for the XB2.

Around the Network
MinatozakiSana said:
if Microsoft puts out the next console too early to kill this declining console, they might get Dreamcast'd when PS5 releases. They should ride out this era and not make the same mistakes they did this gen for the XB2.

The problem is that not making mistakes isnt enough, they need Sony to make big mistakes as well like they did with PS3 early on.

360 succeeded early on by having a year head start, being much cheaper, bigger exclusives, better online, 3rd party games running better and later in its life Kinect became a huge casual hit.

With all these advantages, it was still only able to get a 50/50 split with Sony so unless Sony makes some big mistakes with PS5 than i dont see XB4 regaining any meaningful amount of marketshare.

PS2/XB-85/15

PS3/360-50/50

PS4/XBO-70/30

Thats the rough Sony/MS split for the last 3 generations.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

LipeJJ said:
Kerotan said:

Wow it neher came close to selling 10m. It will likely do under 60m lifetime. 

More like under 50m lifetime. It did 7.4m last year with the release of XoX, so I think this year will be a bit down.

There is no way it will do less than 50 million lifetime.

newwil7l said:
LipeJJ said:

More like under 50m lifetime. It did 7.4m last year with the release of XoX, so I think this year will be a bit down.

6m in 2018, 4m in 2019, 2m in 2020, another million or 2 after that, and there you go, under 50 million lifetime. btw, that's really prediction, but.. eh, hard to say.

Ryng_Tolu said:
newwil7l said:

6m in 2018, 4m in 2019, 2m in 2020, another million or 2 after that, and there you go, under 50 million lifetime. btw, that's really prediction, but.. eh, hard to say.

That's some bleak prediction you got there.  Mine would be something like this:

7.5m in 2018, 6.5m in 2019, 5m in 2020, another million or 2 after that. So..  around 56m (And I think I'm being conservative).

JRPGfan said:
LipeJJ said:

You're right, but at the same time, releasing after PS5 would mean starting with less games and third party support. Releasing a year before PS3 did wonders for Xbox 360, so maybe they will try this again.

Wont Xbox One users be angry at MS, esp ones that just bought a Xbox One X for 499$?

A "Xbox Two" in 2019, could hurt some feelings, they just bought a mid gen upg, only to have a new console come out less than 2years lateron?
alot of those Xbox One X users, are probably also original Xbox owners, that also got the Xbox One S.

Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X.

And a lacking "end" to the gen, content wise from xbox, and then they jump start the next gen too?
I think that could hurt them with fans.

Yeah, it would be the Megadrive/Genesis 32X situation all over again. Consumers where wary after that and waited before buying the Saturn in the west, leading to the failure of that system outside of Japan.

On the other hand the main problems of the XBO are elsewhere: lack of power and compelling exclusives for Europe and to a lesser degree NA, lack of jrpg's and other japanese titles for Japan and their Gamepass concerning retailers. An Xbox Next with good exclusives will sell the hardware - if the retailers will stock it.