By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which Nintendo platform introduced the best Nintendo IPs?

Tagged games:

Which Nintendo platform introduced the Best IPs?

Arcade 2 2.50%

NES 58 72.50%

Gameboy/Gameboy Color 1 1.25%

SNES 7 8.75%

N64 5 6.25%

Gamecube 3 3.75%

Gameboy Advance 0 0%

DS 2 2.50%

Wii 0 0%

Switch 2 2.50%

Total:80

I love this thread idea, but I think it's a little one-sided. NES blows everything else out of the water.

Super Mario and The Legend of Zelda are probably the two best franchises in video game history, and Metroid isn't far behind.

Actually, this thread would be a lot more interesting if it was Sony or Microsoft.

Around the Network

This is difficult because it is one thing to introduce IP and it is another for those IP to get their foundations set.

Kirby was introduced on the GB, but one can argue it wasn't until his NES or SNES game that the franchise hit its style of game that has helped produce titles even until this day. With Nintendo there are a number of franchises that have had similar stories so I personally will abstain because depending on definition of 'introduction' this could mean way different things plus the question is hard depending on what titles you like.

Edit: Also Advance Wars originated on the Famicom as Famicom Wars. Just like Fire Emblem, it was just never released and rarely mentioned until the GBA version was brought over.

NES

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

The NES, it’s not even an discussion in my opinion.

Introduced? N64.

Which Console had the best version of those introduced IPS? Gamecube

Around the Network

Mario rpg series
Mario+Rabbids is a great game, is it a nintendo ip?

''Hadouken!''

Stuart23 said:
You could say the NES because,you know,it was the one that started all but I will go with Super Nintendo. Counting Nintendo IPs, spin-offs and third parties you got:

-Mario Kart
-DK Country
-Star Fox
-F Zero
-Megaman X
-Pilotwings
-Secret of Mana
-Saga
-Chrono Trigger
-Tales
-Yoshi Island
-Earthbound

And many more.

Secret of Mana and Earthbound don't technically count, since Secret of Mana is Seiken Densetsu 2, and the first was on Game Boy, and Earthbound is Mother 2, and the first one was on NES.

Bman54 said:
Stuart23 said:
You could say the NES because,you know,it was the one that started all but I will go with Super Nintendo. Counting Nintendo IPs, spin-offs and third parties you got:

-Mario Kart
-DK Country
-Star Fox
-F Zero
-Megaman X
-Pilotwings
-Secret of Mana
-Saga
-Chrono Trigger
-Tales
-Yoshi Island
-Earthbound

And many more.

Secret of Mana and Earthbound don't technically count, since Secret of Mana is Seiken Densetsu 2, and the first was on Game Boy, and Earthbound is Mother 2, and the first one was on NES.

I put those on the list because at least on the west they were marketed as new IPs,but yes you are right.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

Nes (BTW, Excitebike is missing in that list).

No doubt the NES. It also had the first Earthbound game.

Although, with Nintendo, they have redefined their IPs multiple times. So it’s a little bit of an unfair advantage; apart from not being the entire truth.

Mario Kart is a spin-off of Mario and shouldn’t be counted. Otherwise DKC should count as an original IP on SNES.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 11 February 2018

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.