By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I just beat Zelda: BotW, and the ending is absolute trash.

The ending to Zelda: BotW was...

Great 15 23.08%

Okay 26 40.00%

Disappointing 21 32.31%

Just play Frog's Theme on repeat, instead. 3 4.62%

Total:65
pokoko said:
True open world games have a quandary--which segment of fans should they cater to the most?

Players who quickly "beat the game" and then do the other stuff later? Or players who do everything first before heading to the supposed climax? It's like juggling fried pork chops.

How much should turning points, including finishing the main quest, affect the rest of the game-world?

Someone asked me about H:ZD, and I told them, "if you want to really enjoy the story, do very few side quests."

It truly is a catch-22 with the genre.

Around the Network

You won't get any rebuttal from me, the entire BOTW story was trash. They made it seem so great in the trailers but the story was so watered down and much worse than any other game in the series...imo. I hope that since they've got the gameplay down this time, that they focus more on story telling because Zelda deserves a somewhat decent story.

I think the fact that it is open world, the storytelling suffers from being segmented to cater to the 1/4 paths you can take to advance the story. Nintendo needs to invest in developing a way to enhance story while being an open world experience. 

But terrible camera? I disagree.

Outdated Battle? I disagree.

The camera isn't any different that most setups these days. The only thing really limiting your combat ability or making it stale is your inability to take advantage of what the developers programmed. Take a look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlH7wIhS0WU

Zelda's combat system is brilliant because it allows you to do whatever you can think up with abilities like the Runes and the physics engine, anything you can think of, generally you can do. Zelda combat has never really relied on flashy one button combos or quick time events, it's more about how you can take advantage of your situation. 

Radom Collision? What are you talking about? lol, never encountered anything of the sort. Everytime I've died in Zelda, it's my fault or the incredibly game accurate physics engine.

But yes, some rewards are underwhelming to accommodate the fact that you can just beat Ganon 1st thing, no need for progressive items locked away because it's not a linear experience. 

Gyro puzzles did suck, badly. And they do need to allow button mapping. Still a 10/10 game for me. Doesn't mean it doesn't have flaws, but this is a game that other similar games should strive to be like. An example of the genre. 

Insidb said:

For all that effort, Nintendo rewarded me with a steaming hot sh*t sandwich. Do they know what year it is? Are they aware that other games exist and that they can play them for insight? Z: BotW is a collapsing star of a game that gradually implodes over time, which is depressing for a game that starts so gloriously with such massive potential only partially realized. 

There are so many things to love here: vast landscapes, interesting enemies, wonderful artwork, beautiful music, tons of content, responsive controls, cool weapons, smart powers, etc.

However, there are awful elements that gradually wear the player down: terrible camera, outdated fighting mechanics, random collision detection, extremely underwhelming rewards, garbage gyroscopic puzzles, idiotic button mapping...

"In my opinion,...."

Cause the camera is easily manageable in every conditions except really rare moments where I had some issues but really I don't think any adventure or open world game has a perfect camera. This one is actually better than most games and certainly pas Zelda games IMO.

Fighting mechanics aren't outdated at all are you kidding me, they legit are one of the most easy to handle with the controls. It felt good right away for me. Certain quests have good rewards. Maybe you had to understand that most secondary quest is for money in case you need some so you don't have to farm.. 

A lot of people liked the gyroscopic puzzle. There is like 3 of them in the whole game really complaining about this is a reach. At this point I feel like you just want to hate for no reason. How is button mapping ruining your experience.

Some of these are more forgivable than others, but some are just incomprehensibly glaring. Who makes the move button the crouch button? It's a great way to stop, mid-combat. Run and jump are opposite each other? Seems legit. Enemies can stab you through one another? Solid. Swarmed by enemies? Pick one and take your beating from the rest. Dodge type is relative to enemy positioning and directional input? That's gonna be a problem? The camera will float during combat? Get used to eating sword swings.

I think this part is again just coming from you to be honest. Enemies can hit each other but you will take the hit aswell as it should be. The rest of it I think you would have figured out how to have a strategic combat and used of a camera after what 100 hours with all you've done ? Maybe you just never got the grip on the game but you should have probably stopped at one point if you hate it on everything. 

For the ending, I also was disappointed in the battle. I like phase 1 but I think there should have been another one like we hop on a dragon to beat calamity Ganon surrounding the castle. Also I would have liked that phase 2 would actually do something. Hope they will learn from complaints for the next game as they seem to listen more to their fans nowadays.

For the story, I didn't think it was a problem as I never really played Zelda for a narrative. But I think the character development for Zelda was great and well done. Cutscenes were nice and I think the environment itself tells the story and also with lore and books you find in the game through your adventure like Zelda's diary which was important imo. But I can see why some didn't like it as it is taking place in the past and not really during the game.

Insidb said:
mZuzek said:

Oh my jesus christ your whining is the absolute worst. All of these and I mean all of them are non-issues. Maybe the gyro puzzles, but they're only a real problem in the Wii U version if you're playing on a Pro controller because it forces you to switch to the Gamepad. Other than that? Just a bunch of really pointless whining.

Run and jump being opposite doesn't mean anything because the game is lenient on the running jump input so that you can release a button and press the other with some delay. Not being able to attack multiple enemies when swarmed is... realistic? If you're swarmed you should try to find somewhere safe and try to split the enemies, just as you would in real life.

I also hate people who expect rewards from games... I mean, what would anyone want out of collecting 900 (*NINE FUCKING HUNDRED*) Korok Seeds besides a 100% completion rate on the game? What would you want out of doing all the shrines other than a small little bonus for --experiencing a lot of content and getting a lot of hearts and stamina--? Wasn't the journey fun enough? If you're only doing stuff because you want rewards, well, I don't even know what to say.

I came into this thread thinking I'd be in agreement, but holy god your complaints are the worst. You know what's actually trash? The final boss. I'm sure you think the same, but that's what you should have focused on here.

Me: here are some problems with the game's design and reward system, and these are the actual reasons why.

You: let me whine about your valid points and just dismiss them as "whining."

Other games exist and have existed for years, yet they don't make all of these missteps. You're literally whining that I don't share your opinion, just because it's YOUR OPINION. Think about that. We can look at the gaming landscape and find games that haven't screwed the pooch in the above boneheaded ways; they just executed better. The issue here isn't what I want from the game; the issue is that the game fails to live up to precedents set by many other games.

That's the thing tho, you never stated these as "your opinion" but as "facts". Literally all your complaints are coming from someone that didn't understand how the game works. 

I'm just pissed off that both Horizon Zero Dawn and Zelda force you to go back to before you beat the final boss. The journey feels a lot more anticlimactic when you're not even shown the outcome of all of your actions. I don't even want an arbitrary award for beating the game. I just want an ending.

Around the Network

You are the only person I've heard so far mention: "terrible camera, outdated fighting mechanics, and random collision detection." What exactly does "random collision detection" even mean? Are you getting hit by melee attacks from across the map or running into invisible walls that come and go?

The rewards thing is subjective. If you don't enjoy playing a game to play a game, then I can understand why you'd be annoyed by it. Some people like the gyro puzzles. I did. Then again, some people like being choked for the high it gives them, so don't use personal like as a barometer of quality.

I wasn't disappointed by any of it, but I also don't like a lot of games because I feel the story gets in the way and I just want to play a game. If you're someone who gets engrossed by a story, then you'd love Uncharted. If you love gameplay, then you'll probably think Uncharted is closer to a walking simulator than a game. Different people play certain types of games for their own reasons. This is clearly not the type of game for you.

The lack of button mapping is inexcusable, though. No one can defend that.

You lost me at this: "However, there are awful elements that gradually wear the player down: terrible camera, outdated fighting mechanics, random collision detection, extremely underwhelming rewards, garbage gyroscopic puzzles, idiotic button mapping..." part and beyond because none of it's true and the reward after beating all 120 shrines was the best reward they could've given you, but whatever.

Going by the title of this thread, the final stage of the final boss was underwhelming sure, but that's about it. Hyrule Castle remains great and I thought the first part of the final boss was good enough too. Zelda games have always sent you back to before you beat the bosses after completing them. Every, single, one. Ocarina of Time still has the most epic ending, followed by the Wind Waker. That last one is the opposite of BotW by the way; it's.. not so good for the most part except the ending.

What's funny is I thought the ending was the only "great" thing about it. And by that, I mean it was the only part of the game that actually felt and sounded like a Zelda game and not a new IP.

Not only the ending. The whole games is trash:

Boring music
Boring boss fights
Boring repetitive Shrines
No dungeons
Way too easy
And of course: The boring ending

After 40 hours of playing time, i am still waiting for the game to begin.

"interesting enemies" Ha, good one! However I agree that the game starts awesome but then goes downhill from there, not a steep hill mind you, though not for your reasons besides the story being lame. Basically after the first 15 hours the progression just stops. At that point you've likely seen pretty much everything the game has to offer in terms of weapon n enemy types, the sorts of puzzles n challenges you'll face, and so ons. It's just more of the same for the rest of the game. That's my biggest gripe with the game, but even so I overall enjoyed the 140 hours I put into it and it's easily my favorite Zelda.

Medisti said:

The lack of button mapping is inexcusable, though. No one can defend that.

Huh, I swear I remember changing the jump button to B specifically to help prepare for Splatoon 2.