By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Black Panther Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic (100% and 87 currently)

Do you plan on seeing Black Panther?

Yes! Opening weekend 23 33.82%

I'll see it in theaters at some point 21 30.88%

Netflix? Or Other 8 11.76%

Meh, no interest 16 23.53%

Total:68
Volterra_90 said:

I think DC fans are not that stupid. It's like an alt-right movement masquerading as a group of DC fans if I have to guess. I mean, it's called BLACK panther XD.

It's likely a mix of both. The Imdb message boards in the past were full of obsessive dc fanboys trying to organise hate campaigns against anything marvel or Disney. They had a slight affect before the film opened, but were usually wiped out in the opening weekend. 

Around the Network

I'm just relieved that a hero which apparently means a lot to much of the black community is the main character of a quality film. These days it's very difficult to make a film like this without accusations (often totally justified) of exploitation and such.

From the trailers I've seen and reviews that are popping up, it really looks like this is just a legitimately good movie. Every time I think my interest in Marvel movies is waning they mix it up with something fun or different like the recent Thor/Hulk or now this, which apparently pulled off the balancing act of being clearly a Marvel universe movie while having a look and feel all its own.

Ryan Coogler directed it. Of course its brilliant.

Johnw1104 said:
I'm just relieved that a hero which apparently means a lot to much of the black community is the main character of a quality film. These days it's very difficult to make a film like this without accusations (often totally justified) of exploitation and such.

From the trailers I've seen and reviews that are popping up, it really looks like this is just a legitimately good movie. Every time I think my interest in Marvel movies is waning they mix it up with something fun or different like the recent Thor/Hulk or now this, which apparently pulled off the balancing act of being clearly a Marvel universe movie while having a look and feel all its own.

I think they've started giving directors a little more free reign on film's. Guardians 2, spider man and Thor 3 all felt like film's made by those directors. Rather than just another marvel film.

pikashoe said:

Johnw1104 said:

I think they've started giving directors a little more free reign on film's. Guardians 2, spider man and Thor 3 all felt like film's made by those directors. Rather than just another marvel film.

From what I read about Black Panther that was definitely the case. Marvel has done a fantastic job of having many different franchises that look and feel quite different (GotG/Ant Man/Thor/Dr Strange/Black Panther in recent years all seem very unique for instance) and yet still they don't look out of place when they come together. That's not an easy thing to pull off.

Around the Network
Volterra_90 said: 

I think DC fans are not that stupid. It's like an alt-right movement masquerading as a group of DC fans if I have to guess. I mean, it's called BLACK panther XD.

I somehow imagine their feeling be different about a BLACK Canary movie though...

After Steel, Meteor Man and Blankman, it's nice to have a quality African-American superhero movie for once.

I'll go see it like a week after opening. Don't like the crowds.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
RJ_Sizzle said:
After Steel, Meteor Man and Blankman, it's nice to have a quality African-American superhero movie for once.

Blade will like to have a few words with you.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:
I'll go see it like a week after opening. Don't like the crowds.

Crowds are no fun, but reserving my seat is great!