By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Sleeping Dogs movie enters production, movie/game comparison shots

Well, this came out of nowhere. I didn't think Sleeping Dogs did well enough to make a sequel, much less a movie.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

I loved Sleeping dogs, and I love Donnie Yen.

Can't wait !

shikamaru317 said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Why is this even a thing instead of Sleeping Dogs 2? Yeah... let's not make a sequel to a game, let's just make a movie instead. What a dumb idea.

They aren't the only ones doing it, there are a ton of video game adaptations in the works right now.

• Tomb Raider movie reboot at MGM/WB releasing in March 2018
  • Mario CGI Movie at Illumination Entertainment
  • Sonic the Hedgehog live-action/CGI hybrid movie at Paramount releasing in 2019
  • Assassin's Creed movie sequel at New Regency
  • Borderlands movie at Lionsgate
  • Call of Duty cinematic universe at the newly formed Activision Blizzard Studios
  • Deus Ex movie at CBS
  • Five Nights at Freddie's movie at WB
  • Ghost Recon movie at WB (with Michael Bay directing)
  • Splinter Cell movie at New Regency
  • Watch Dogs movie at New Regency and Sony Pictures
  • Gran Turismo movie
  • Asteroids movie at Universal
  • The Last of Us movie at Sony Pictures
  • Uncharted movie at Sony Pictures
  • Metro 2033 movie at MGM
  • Minecraft movie at WB
  • Thief movie at Straight Up Pictures
  • The Witcher tv series at Netflix
  • Life is Strange tv series
  • Ruiner tv series
  • Little Nightmares tv series
  • Sly Cooper tv series at Technicolor

Oh, no. Now I'm having Sonic 2006 flashbacks.

Also, I can see some of this working (a Splinter Cell movie would just be a regular spy/action flick) and some of this failing to no end. How on Earth do you adapt CoD to the big screen, other than just make the campaign into a film? And why would you make TLoU and Uncharted into a movie, when they are basically movies as they are, it would be so redundant.

Could be cool, but I'd much rather have a sequel.

Ka-pi96 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Oh, no. Now I'm having Sonic 2006 flashbacks.

Also, I can see some of this working (a Splinter Cell movie would just be a regular spy/action flick) and some of this failing to no end. How on Earth do you adapt CoD to the big screen, other than just make the campaign into a film? And why would you make TLoU and Uncharted into a movie, when they are basically movies as they are, it would be so redundant.

For COD you just make a standard war movie the same way you normally would but use "Call of Duty" as the title, simple

For TLOU/Uncharted... they aren't "basically movies", and it's pretty insulting to both the devs and the fans of those games to suggest so. And as for why they'd make movies for them, well there's a whole load of people that like watching movies but wouldn't ever play a game... and to those potential customers the fans of the games who are very likely to watch the movie and you have yourself a nice potential audience.

Most cinematic games are pretty easy to turn into movies. They have a clear story outside of gameplay, they have editing and pacing similar to a film, and most of them already use some form of motion capture to bring the actor's moves into the game. From there to an actual motion picture is not that difficult. Fans of the games will feel like they've seen that before, because they don't add anything that the games can't already offer, and people who don't really play games won't know these films exist anymore than the rest of the cinema offerings because, well, they don't play games. They won't even know it's based of a game, and that might even hurt their perception of the product. Video game movies don't have the best track record, after all.

Around the Network

Really liked the game (actually much more than GTA V), I'm hoping this will mean sequel as well.

*DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB*

The movie doesn't look great, but i do hope it's enough to rekindle the franchise. I loved the original game. One of the few i have platinum'ed.

Hmmm Donnie seems too old. Shouls be aomeone younger like Daniel Wu

shikamaru317 said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Why is this even a thing instead of Sleeping Dogs 2? Yeah... let's not make a sequel to a game, let's just make a movie instead. What a dumb idea.

They aren't the only ones doing it, there are a ton of video game adaptations in the works right now.

• Tomb Raider movie reboot at MGM/WB releasing in March 2018
  • Mario CGI Movie at Illumination Entertainment
  • Sonic the Hedgehog live-action/CGI hybrid movie at Paramount releasing in 2019
  • Assassin's Creed movie sequel at New Regency
  • Borderlands movie at Lionsgate
  • Call of Duty cinematic universe at the newly formed Activision Blizzard Studios
  • Deus Ex movie at CBS
  • Five Nights at Freddie's movie at WB
  • Ghost Recon movie at WB (with Michael Bay directing)
  • Splinter Cell movie at New Regency
  • Watch Dogs movie at New Regency and Sony Pictures
  • Gran Turismo movie
  • Asteroids movie at Universal
  • The Last of Us movie at Sony Pictures
  • Uncharted movie at Sony Pictures
  • Metro 2033 movie at MGM
  • Minecraft movie at WB
  • Thief movie at Straight Up Pictures
  • The Witcher tv series at Netflix
  • Life is Strange tv series
  • Ruiner tv series
  • Little Nightmares tv series
  • Sly Cooper tv series at Technicolor

Surprised that they are making another Assassins Creed Movie the first one kinda bombed.  Also you are missing the Rampage movie from the list that one is coming out this summer.  Plus I'm pretty sure there are still plans for another Need For Speed movie.