Why is this even a thing instead of Sleeping Dogs 2? Yeah... let's not make a sequel to a game, let's just make a movie instead. What a dumb idea.
They aren't the only ones doing it, there are a ton of video game adaptations in the works right now.
- Tomb Raider movie reboot at MGM/WB releasing in March 2018
- Mario CGI Movie at Illumination Entertainment
- Sonic the Hedgehog live-action/CGI hybrid movie at Paramount releasing in 2019
- Assassin's Creed movie sequel at New Regency
- Borderlands movie at Lionsgate
- Call of Duty cinematic universe at the newly formed Activision Blizzard Studios
- Deus Ex movie at CBS
- Five Nights at Freddie's movie at WB
- Ghost Recon movie at WB (with Michael Bay directing)
- Splinter Cell movie at New Regency
- Watch Dogs movie at New Regency and Sony Pictures
- Gran Turismo movie
- Asteroids movie at Universal
- The Last of Us movie at Sony Pictures
- Uncharted movie at Sony Pictures
- Metro 2033 movie at MGM
- Minecraft movie at WB
- Thief movie at Straight Up Pictures
- The Witcher tv series at Netflix
- Life is Strange tv series
- Ruiner tv series
- Little Nightmares tv series
- Sly Cooper tv series at Technicolor
Oh, no. Now I'm having Sonic 2006 flashbacks.
Also, I can see some of this working (a Splinter Cell movie would just be a regular spy/action flick) and some of this failing to no end. How on Earth do you adapt CoD to the big screen, other than just make the campaign into a film? And why would you make TLoU and Uncharted into a movie, when they are basically movies as they are, it would be so redundant.