By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EA stock reaches all-time high ahead of Battlefront II loot box return

OTBWY said:
That's investors for ye. And you know what, who blames em! Idiots keep buying the games! 7 million!

Exactly.

Around the Network
vivster said:
KLXVER said:

What other game gives you an advantage with loot boxes?

That's not the point. The point is that publishers already crossed the line with cosmetic lootboxes against real world money. And the fact that people are fine with that is proof of their success of bringing gambling into gaming. Pay to Win lootboxes were only the next logical step. And I am fairly certain that they will very soon become common place and will have people defending it like there are people right now who defend cosmetic lootboxes and DLC.

Remember when DLC, microtransactions and preorder bonuses were bad words? Nobody gives a shit about those anymore because we now have things far worse that are creeping their way into people's minds.

So we should never voice our opinion then? If the next step is buying a game for 60$ and then paying 5$ for every hour you play, then that's just how it goes? 

KLXVER said:
vivster said:

That's not the point. The point is that publishers already crossed the line with cosmetic lootboxes against real world money. And the fact that people are fine with that is proof of their success of bringing gambling into gaming. Pay to Win lootboxes were only the next logical step. And I am fairly certain that they will very soon become common place and will have people defending it like there are people right now who defend cosmetic lootboxes and DLC.

Remember when DLC, microtransactions and preorder bonuses were bad words? Nobody gives a shit about those anymore because we now have things far worse that are creeping their way into people's minds.

So we should never voice our opinion then? If the next step is buying a game for 60$ and then paying 5$ for every hour you play, then that's just how it goes? 

I didn't say never. I said protests should be widespread and constant and not just singular instance concentrated on a single publisher. As you can see, those have no long term effect at all. Instead we should voice our discontent constantly and at every single release every day.

As we can see, the effects are otherwise irreversible. So thanks to complacent people and fanboys we will now have to live with lootboxes forever. And it's going to get worse. Just wait until targeted match making comes around. People will completely forget about P2W lootboxes.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
KLXVER said:

I didn't say never. I said protests should be widespread and constant and not just singular instance concentrated on a single publisher. As you can see, those have no long term effect at all. Instead we should voice our discontent constantly and at every single release every day.

As we can see, the effects are otherwise irreversible. So thanks to complacent people and fanboys we will now have to live with lootboxes forever. And it's going to get worse. Just wait until targeted match making comes around. People will completely forget about P2W lootboxes.

Battlefront 2 sales are down from the first game. Shadow Of War is down from the first game. Both EA and WB got a lot of shit from gamers, reviewers and developers alike. Its just that EA has a longer history of screwing over people.

KLXVER said:
vivster said:

Battlefront 2 sales are down from the first game. Shadow Of War is down from the first game. Both EA and WB got a lot of shit from gamers, reviewers and developers alike. Its just that EA has a longer history of screwing over people.

No. Every single AAA publisher has a history of screwing over people. That includes fan favorites like Blizzard and Rockstar which are owned by Take Two, one of the biggest scumbags in the industry.

BF2 and SOW are down from their previous installments because they are strictly worse games and people had their fill with the first ones. And they still made a hefty profit. All the while EA and WB are raking in cash with other terrible games that do not have the public eye directly on them. Those games were merely small road bumps and they will soon try again to pull some shit. Or maybe they duck down for a bit and let other assholes like Ubisoft or some mobile publishers take the piss next.

You think the stationary gaming market cannot become like the mobile market? In the mobile market P2W and pay to continue are already there to stay and people have given up.

Nothing is holy anymore and we're already on a straight path to hell. Which is why I was so amused and disillusioned at the EA protests. It took something that gigantic with one of the most popular franchises in the world for people to even start noticing. If that is what it takes then we're totally fucked because publishers will first try out their worst schemes in smaller games until they get a free pass on the bigger ones.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

EA is my favorite publisher. So glad to see them doing well.

vivster said:
KLXVER said:

No. Every single AAA publisher has a history of screwing over people. That includes fan favorites like Blizzard and Rockstar which are owned by Take Two, one of the biggest scumbags in the industry.

BF2 and SOW are down from their previous installments because they are strictly worse games and people had their fill with the first ones. And they still made a hefty profit. All the while EA and WB are raking in cash with other terrible games that do not have the public eye directly on them. Those games were merely small road bumps and they will soon try again to pull some shit. Or maybe they duck down for a bit and let other assholes like Ubisoft or some mobile publishers take the piss next.

You think the stationary gaming market cannot become like the mobile market? In the mobile market P2W and pay to continue are already there to stay and people have given up.

Nothing is holy anymore and we're already on a straight path to hell. Which is why I was so amused and disillusioned at the EA protests. It took something that gigantic with one of the most popular franchises in the world for people to even start noticing. If that is what it takes then we're totally fucked because publishers will first try out their worst schemes in smaller games until they get a free pass on the bigger ones.

Well I haven't given up. I don't support games with shady business practices. EA still deserves all the hate it gets and then some though.

So, they made losses, yet their shares went up?? Only EA!

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

You keep buying, they keep making.

vivster said:

Good for them. That will teach people not to arbitrarily single out specific publishers when the problem has been around for a long time and is actually widespread. There's no point to rebel when you're only rebelling against people's favorite punching bag.

People have accepted the existence of lootboxes already for cosmetic items and soon they'll except them for pay-to-win when the next worse thing comes around.

...and very soon, I'll be finding another hobby.