By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda BotW Sells over 8.2mil by Dec 31st! (Sell thru 7.5mil)

Wyrdness said:
Jumpin said:

I think it’s fair to have those when comparing any sort of multi-platform complication of numbers. It will also make the number BotW hits all that more impressive when it finally surpasses those.

On a single platform, BotW is already well on its way to #1. That number matters too.

It’s a shame we don’t have VC numbers. Back in the day, VGCarts made an attempt at tracking those, but not in any proper way.

OOT3D and TPHD are remakes and remasters that came over a decade later, they're not really releases of the initial version it would be like adding the sales of Fire Emblem Echoes to Fire Emblem Gaiden.

This is correct. We could also compare games including remakes but it messes up numbers in reality.

Recent ex:

MK8 it sold 8.5mil+ on wiiu but if you add the NSW version its currenty 16mil

More examples

Pokemon (oh god)

Gen1 45mil

Gen2 36mil

Gen3 30mil

Mario 64 24mil (SMO has to beat this?)

Metroid return of samusb(1mil+)

Fire emblem 1 2mil+ (if you count all its remakes)

You get the idea :P

Around the Network
Vini256 said:

"Never" is probably a bit much, but it'll probably take 10-15 years until people get tired of the whole open-world/do it in any order thing, and even then it'll never be the same thing again since they'll likely keep stuff like voice acting (Which I didn't like at all).

Would be great if I got that gameplay back through a spinoff but that's highly unlikely to happen imo, since every Zelda spinoff has been vastly different from the main series style (Crossbow Training was a small minigame/tech demo, Hyrule Warriors is just a Musou game, there's the Tingle games on DS too, etc).

I also personally don't get this "I can't go back to other Zeldas" feeling because to me BotW is a completely different genre compared to the previous games.

I'd be happy if Nintendo didn't go back to 'classic 3D Zelda' because the whole concept stagnated after OoT 3D. Never played through Twilight Princess before the Wii U version but in every dungeon i immediately knew what items i'd get and how puzzles would work. Also, Zelda always had an open overworld.

But i would like to get Breath of the Wild with real dungeons. Though not classical item based. Breath of the Wild had way more creative ways to solve problems and puzzles.

Only my personal oppinion, but Breath of the Wild gave me that feeling of a world back i'd had in the early nineties with A Link to the Past.

I can understand though why some wheren't all that happy with Breath of the Wild.

captain carot said:

I'd be happy if Nintendo didn't go back to 'classic 3D Zelda' because the whole concept stagnated after OoT 3D. Never played through Twilight Princess before the Wii U version but in every dungeon i immediately knew what items i'd get and how puzzles would work. Also, Zelda always had an open overworld.

But i would like to get Breath of the Wild with real dungeons. Though not classical item based. Breath of the Wild had way more creative ways to solve problems and puzzles.

Only my personal oppinion, but Breath of the Wild gave me that feeling of a world back i'd had in the early nineties with A Link to the Past.

I can understand though why some wheren't all that happy with Breath of the Wild.

To each his own I guess. BotW was my first open-world game and it'll probably be my last I'm afraid (If there's a Zelda game that I have no plans on ever replaying, it's this one). Just not a fan of exploring, I'd rather just do dungeons all the time and follow a storyline (Which is why I loved Skyward Sword, everything in that game was a puzzle and the overworld was tiny). I found the puzzles in BotW very easy so I'm not looking forward to more of that, I'd rather have the old dungeons and items back even if the solutions were predictable at times, at least they had difficulty progression as you went through them.

Vini256 said:
That's great for Nintendo and I'm happy to see them being successful again, but it's sad for me since it's easily my least favorite Zelda and the sales/reception it got means I'll never get my classic 3D Zelda back.

I assume you never played Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks, then? ;)

Medisti said:
Vini256 said:
That's great for Nintendo and I'm happy to see them being successful again, but it's sad for me since it's easily my least favorite Zelda and the sales/reception it got means I'll never get my classic 3D Zelda back.

I did play half of Spirit Tracks years ago, but I got stuck in one of the dungeons and never came back to it (I had just gotten a 3DS with OoT 3D, so yeah...). It was pretty good for a DS game though, it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. Also, the overworld music in that game was amazing.

Around the Network
Vini256 said:
Medisti said:

I did play half of Spirit Tracks years ago, but I got stuck in one of the dungeons and never came back to it (I had just gotten a 3DS with OoT 3D, so yeah...). It was pretty good for a DS game though, it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. Also, the overworld music in that game was amazing.

Well, Spirit Tracks was much better than Phantom Hourglass. They fixed most of the problems. PH is the worst Zelda game, if you don't count the CD-i games.

captain carot said:

The fanbase never knew what they really wanted that's what it comes down to, they were addicted to the nostalgia of OOT and as a result felt that by law every Zelda game should follow that template which was originally set out by ALTTP. It's only when TP released that Nintendo realised that the fanbase didn't really know what they want they'd demand the experience of OOT's nostalgia but didn't want a game like OOT so Nintendo started taking their own approach with the series.

Fact is when some people say they want the classic approach back they're likely in one of two minorities, one group who just purely like that approach and the other still addicted to nostalgia. The majority would rather have BOTW's approach as it's an experience not locked in with finding a particular item in a dungeon.

Holy shit! That's so cool! And in such a short time span as well, that's just impressive

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

mZuzek said:

I'm afraid you never liked Zelda for what Zelda was, or at least was supposed to be.

Not that I think you're wrong. You know what my favorite game is so I definitely hear you. But it is a fact that the games were deviating increasingly more from the original vision, to the point where they almost contradicted it - and the fact they got criticism for that means something like BotW was just inevitable.

Pretty much, I was never a fan of the original Zelda on NES (Or Zelda 2, but that one's because I personally can't deal with that difficulty, it's no fun). I like Zelda for what it evolved into over the years, so pretty much from OoT onwards. As I said previously in this thread, I'm not a big fan of the 2D games, I've only ever beaten ALBW and it suffered from the same problem as BotW: The non-linearity meant that the dungeons couldn't become more difficult as the game went on, so all of them had pretty much the same basic difficulty level throughout. Skyward Sword was the pinnacle of the gameplay OoT established imo, so my expectations for the series were at an all-time high. BotW went on a complete opposite direction from what I liked/wanted from the series.

Really, my problem isn't even with the game being different, it's that it's effectively replacing something that I enjoyed much more instead of existing alongside it. If at least I had another series to jump to it wouldn't be so bad, but my only hope of that died with Beyond Good and Evil 2 being nothing like the original game (Which felt pretty much like a Zelda game to me, gameplay-wise).

As great as the game is the sales still shock me, in a good way might I add. Wonder when they pull the trigger for the next one.