By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda BotW Sells over 8.2mil by Dec 31st! (Sell thru 7.5mil)

That's great for Nintendo and I'm happy to see them being successful again, but it's sad for me since it's easily my least favorite Zelda and the sales/reception it got means I'll never get my classic 3D Zelda back.

Around the Network

This is amazing!

Switch!!!

Would it make sense to add all versions together? Like: OOT + OOT3D = 12.7mil TP GameCUbe + TP Wii + TP WiiU = 10mil BOTW Switch + BOTW WiiU = 7.5mil

Switch!!!

Vini256 said:
That's great for Nintendo and I'm happy to see them being successful again, but it's sad for me since it's easily my least favorite Zelda and the sales/reception it got means I'll never get my classic 3D Zelda back.

Never say never. I thought I’d have the same issue with BotW, but it turns out I can’t go back to other Zeldas because they feel so contrived. xD

Anyway, I think they will do some spin offs so something interesting might be coming.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

S.Peelman said:
Really? I wouldn't have thought the WiiU version to still sell as much. In fact I didn't think it would match TP's GC version at all, but if it did then good. Will be the best sold Zelda game soon then, and shortly after that it will hold all the franchise records.

I knew the WiiU version would stull sell at least 1 mil.  There was a small sect of WiiU owners that got that version out of principal and still doibted Switch at that time.  Then you had the people that wanted to upgrade, but with the Switch being sold out for so long they couldn't.  Many of these people opted for the WiiU version as well so that they could at least play one of, if not the most, hyped Zelda games of all time.

So at the end if the day, keeping the WiiU version intact was a smart move on Nintendo's part.  Could you imagine the people that got the WiiU for BotW, just to have it completely moved to Switch?  The backlash would be hard to bounce back from.  People were mad enough (and WRONGLY so) at the decision to make it a cross gen release.  I don't even want to think about how mad some would be if it were Switch only.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
LipeJJ said:
Vini256 said:

Never say never. I thought I’d have the same issue with BotW, but it turns out I can’t go back to other Zeldas because they feel so contrived. xD

Anyway, I think they will do some spin offs so something interesting might be coming.

"Never" is probably a bit much, but it'll probably take 10-15 years until people get tired of the whole open-world/do it in any order thing, and even then it'll never be the same thing again since they'll likely keep stuff like voice acting (Which I didn't like at all).

Would be great if I got that gameplay back through a spinoff but that's highly unlikely to happen imo, since every Zelda spinoff has been vastly different from the main series style (Crossbow Training was a small minigame/tech demo, Hyrule Warriors is just a Musou game, there's the Tingle games on DS too, etc).

I also personally don't get this "I can't go back to other Zeldas" feeling because to me BotW is a completely different genre compared to the previous games.

Vini256 said:
LipeJJ said:

"Never" is probably a bit much, but it'll probably take 10-15 years until people get tired of the whole open-world/do it in any order thing, and even then it'll never be the same thing again since they'll likely keep stuff like voice acting (Which I didn't like at all).

Would be great if I got that gameplay back through a spinoff but that's highly unlikely to happen imo, since every Zelda spinoff has been vastly different from the main series style (Crossbow Training was a small minigame/tech demo, Hyrule Warriors is just a Musou game, there's the Tingle games on DS too, etc).

I also personally don't get this "I can't go back to other Zeldas" feeling because to me BotW is a completely different genre compared to the previous games.

I’m somewhere in the middle between you guys. I love Breath of the Wild, but I also love Ocarina, Majora, Wind Waker, TP, and SS. Great game design comes in many forms.

And even if Zelda as a series doesn’t return to the 1992-2013 model, you still have a lot of “clones” like Ittle Dew, Blossom Tales, and, I imagine, Darksiders 3. So there’s hope!

fedfed said:
Would it make sense to add all versions together? Like: OOT + OOT3D = 12.7mil TP GameCUbe + TP Wii + TP WiiU = 10mil BOTW Switch + BOTW WiiU = 7.5mil

I think it’s fair to have those when comparing any sort of multi-platform complication of numbers. It will also make the number BotW hits all that more impressive when it finally surpasses those.

On a single platform, BotW is already well on its way to #1. That number matters too.

It’s a shame we don’t have VC numbers. Back in the day, VGCarts made an attempt at tracking those, but not in any proper way.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

I’m somewhere in the middle between you guys. I love Breath of the Wild, but I also love Ocarina, Majora, Wind Waker, TP, and SS. Great game design comes in many forms.

And even if Zelda as a series doesn’t return to the 1992-2013 model, you still have a lot of “clones” like Ittle Dew, Blossom Tales, and, I imagine, Darksiders 3. So there’s hope!

I've played the Ittle Dew games and they are pretty good, but it's just not the same as a real Zelda. It doesn't help that I like 3D Zelda way more than the 2D games and most Zelda clones are 2D. There aren't really many 3D Zelda clones, I've already played Beyond Good and Evil and I only have Okami and Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy left to play before I run out of games with this specific gameplay style.

Jumpin said:
fedfed said:

I think it’s fair to have those when comparing any sort of multi-platform complication of numbers. It will also make the number BotW hits all that more impressive when it finally surpasses those.

On a single platform, BotW is already well on its way to #1. That number matters too.

It’s a shame we don’t have VC numbers. Back in the day, VGCarts made an attempt at tracking those, but not in any proper way.

OOT3D and TPHD are remakes and remasters that came over a decade later, they're not really releases of the initial version it would be like adding the sales of Fire Emblem Echoes to Fire Emblem Gaiden.