By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox HW revenue up 14% from last year, overall up 8%. Xbox Live users reach 59 million

Jigsawx1 said:
eva01beserk said:

You are right. But does it need games to sell well? is a different question. Cant say I know for sure until they release numbers. But Pros believe is down yoy. So its not looking good.

there are no pros here because if they were pros they were not  here......you could say interested amateurs. I think it is up YoY because 360 is dead now , XB1 s was the cheaper the year everywhere and the Xb1 sold very well during holiday.

There's no way it was up, but MS didn't mention it. They mention every positive they can. It was flat in the US and most likely flat or down pretty much everywhere else, so down overall. 

Also, 360 was dead the previous year, too. They stopped making them in April of 2016. And S being $50 cheaper is easily off set by the X being $300 more expensive. The S could have outsold it 6:1 and they'd still break even. 

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 04 February 2018

Around the Network
Jigsawx1 said:
eva01beserk said:

You are right. But does it need games to sell well? is a different question. Cant say I know for sure until they release numbers. But Pros believe is down yoy. So its not looking good.

there are no pros here because if they were pros they were not  here......you could say interested amateurs. I think it is up YoY because 360 is dead now , XB1 s was the cheaper the year everywhere and the Xb1 sold very well during holiday.

I was not referring to vgchartz posters, but analyst and other pros where almost most of these threads are ripped off from.  The only real numbers we have is NA because of NPD and the xbox has been down 2 years in a row, considering its the only market its doing ok(maybe uk as well) then its easy to guess its also down the rest of the world.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Azzanation said:
eva01beserk said:

Just a new console, nothing major right?

Doesn't it need games to sell it? Guess not.

Well yeah, it sold better than the Virtual Boy, but still came in dead last in WW sales, behind manufacturers who actually invest in 1st party games..

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

hunter_alien said:
Azzanation said:

Doesn't it need games to sell it? Guess not.

Well yeah, it sold better than the Virtual Boy, but still came in dead last in WW sales, behind manufacturers who actually invest in 1st party games..

So why is it selling well in the US? Again what games are people flocking to by X1s in America?

Majority of US products dont sell well WW and i am sure MS (one of the largest and most wealthiest in the world) arent concerned. Its probably a bonus if they sell well WW however its clear there focus is the US.

Azzanation said:
hunter_alien said:

So why is it selling well in the US? Again what games are people flocking to by X1s in America?

Majority of US products dont sell well WW and i am sure MS (one of the largest and most wealthiest in the world) arent concerned. Its probably a bonus if they sell well WW however its clear there focus is the US.

You would have to define well. Cuz as shown by the only numbers that we do have that are accurate are npd and the xbox has sold less for 2 years in a row in NA. And to kick it off software is down 10%, wich known  by everyone, software is how they make most of the profit. Services are producing some income, but I doubt its anywhere near of the profit still brings in. 

So while maybe not in trouble yet, when do you consider that we should start showing concern? For me at least I would say when software is down 10% yoy is a clear sign to be concern. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

Well it aint first party pushing sales. Looks like all the third party plus backwards compatibility and things like that are pushing the HW sales.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

eva01beserk said:
Azzanation said:

You would have to define well. Cuz as shown by the only numbers that we do have that are accurate are npd and the xbox has sold less for 2 years in a row in NA. And to kick it off software is down 10%, wich known  by everyone, software is how they make most of the profit. Services are producing some income, but I doubt its anywhere near of the profit still brings in. 

So while maybe not in trouble yet, when do you consider that we should start showing concern? For me at least I would say when software is down 10% yoy is a clear sign to be concern. 

MS are clearly focusing on digital and subs, thats where the real money is.

Is this 10% down on software including Game Pass and digital sales?

Azzanation said:
eva01beserk said:

That's fine. But do you really believe subs are gonna make more money than software? I mean just buying 3 games in one year already makes more than all different subs combined. Maybe in an all digital future there will be a way to profit more on something other than games. But consoles where built around profiting on games, even at loosing something on hardware. You would have to change something dramatically to see games being secondary.

If its in the financial report I would assume that 10% it includes everything. Someone would have to verify. Im not gonna read it.

PwerlvlAmy said:
Well it aint first party pushing sales. Looks like all the third party plus backwards compatibility and things like that are pushing the HW sales.

Again yes. the console is selling. But is selling less and less for 2 years straight while the competition is selling more every year. The only thing we know that the xbox is not doing that the competition is, is making first party games. 

eva01beserk said:
Azzanation said:

That's fine. But do you really believe subs are gonna make more money than software? I mean just buying 3 games in one year already makes more than all different subs combined. Maybe in an all digital future there will be a way to profit more on something other than games. But consoles where built around profiting on games, even at loosing something on hardware. You would have to change something dramatically to see games being secondary.

If its in the financial report I would assume that 10% it includes everything. Someone would have to verify. Im not gonna read it.

Reason i ask if Game Pass is included or not because if its not included in the software sales than theres your 10% difference right there and that number will only get bigger due to Game Pass popularity.

Yes they make more money off Digital over Physical. Game companies dont make much off selling a game for $60 because thats not $60 straight to there pockets. There is so many avenues that cash has to go through. Those live subs are 100% profits.

Who do we follow, one of the largest and most profitable software corporaions in the world? Or random VG Users? Ill listen to MS, i believe they know what makes them the most money.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 05 February 2018